Joomla IE8 problem

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
mike_766
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Joomla IE8 problem

Post by mike_766 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am

Hello,

Here is a new variation on the IE8 problem theme….

I run two sites based on the JA_purity template. Both work perfectly well in IE8, IE7, Firefox, Chome etc etc. – except for one thing…..

I put in a weblink from one site to the other. The child site opens fine PROVIDED that I launch it in the parent window (not nice). But, if I launch the child site in a new window the first view is all messed up because the font size in the main component area is incorrectly rendered (too large) and everything in the left side of the site is displaced to the bottom of the window (grrrrr !). But then, the first time you navigate around in the child site everything corrects itself and is fine thereafter.

I checked what happens when I weblinked to other sites that I could find which were also clearly built with Joomla! and using variants of the JA_purity template. Same thing ! So, its not just me (phew).

I checked the trick of removing the gte from <!--[if gte IE 7.0]> in the index.php file, and it was not there in the version of my_japurity that I started out with, so I guess this has been attended to “at source” by the Joomla! Admin.

So, anyone got any ideas? I’ve rummaged through the template code for some time and not coming up with any solutions. Its such a specific set of conditions under which the problem occurs that it ought to be traceable, but I can’t find it.

This ONLY happens with IE8 – not with Firefox, Chrome, Safari. I despair of IE8. Don’t like using it myself, but 80% of the visitors to my sites do, so I have to accommodate it. Do you think MS do this on purpose ?

Parent site using Joomla 1.5.20
Child site using Joomla 1.5.15
(but the problem is just the same when parent and child are inverted)

Parent page…. http://www.mirrorsailingscotland.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=3&Itemid=6

Click on the “ASYC…” weblink to open in the parent window. Shift-click to open in a new window and see the problem.

Hope to hear from someone out there.

Mbit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Mbit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 am

should i leave this as it is in my template?

Code: Select all

<!--[if IE 7.0]>
<style type="text/css">
.clearfix {display: inline-block;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<?php if ($tmpTools->isIE6()): ?>
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<script type="text/javascript">
var siteurl = '<?php echo $tmpTools->baseurl();?>';

window.addEvent ('load', makeTransBG);
function makeTransBG() {
	fixIEPNG($E('.ja-headermask'), '', '', 1);
	fixIEPNG($E('h1.logo a'));
	fixIEPNG($$('img'));
	fixIEPNG ($$('#ja-mainnav ul.menu li ul'), '', 'scale', 0, 2);
}
</script>
<style type="text/css">
.ja-headermask, h1.logo a, #ja-cssmenu li ul { background-position: -1000px; }
#ja-cssmenu li ul li, #ja-cssmenu li a { background:transparent url(<?php echo $tmpTools->templateurl(); ?>/images/blank.png) no-repeat right;}
.clearfix {height: 1%;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<?php endif; ?>
Buy Medical Supplies, Medical Equipment and Home Health Care products: http://www.medi-shop.gr/en

may yin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by may yin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 am

maranate wrote:We have the same problem, IE 8 shows the PDA template instead of the regular template. We don't want to delete the PDA template because we do have a lot of mobile users. So how do we force it to display the correct template with IE8? It displays fine on other browsers, and we let people know that it works better with Firefox, but still have the majority using IE. We also want it to display properly for people who are new, or who just happen upon our site and are using IE8.

I also want to note that even in compatibility mode, it displays the PDA template, not the correct, default, template.
i have this very same problem. the mobile version appears by default on ie8. and only on ie8, chrome and ff are fine. the site runs on joomla 1.5.20, and the plugin is mobile joomla.

http://www.riversideclinic.sg/cms/

however, this doesn't happen on all PC's. 3 of my friends can view the standard website immediately upon entering the url on ie8 on their pc. following another member's advice, i'd deleted all templates that i was not using, but the problem persists on my pc.

please help.

Physicist
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Physicist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:49 pm

What is the User-Agent string of that PC with IE8 (as IE plugins may alter tthis string and break correct determination of browser type)?
Denis Ryabov, JED Checker Developer, Page Speed Optimizer Developer, Mobile Developer.

may yin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by may yin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 am

thanks for responding. the user agent info is:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Ant.com Toolbar 1.6; GTB6.6; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C)

is this what you meant?

may yin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by may yin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 am

i realized that Ant.com Toolbar wasn't supposed to be there, cos i disabled it sometime ago. i couldn't uninstall it on ie8, however i managed to do it at the control panel.

having done so, i ran my ie8 and accessed that website again, and it worked. thanks very much, physicist. that solved my problem. :D

luvjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by luvjoomla » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I busted my butt on this one endlessly. IE 8 was not displaying right side of website and lower nav on ANY template. I tried the compatability plugin and index.php header tag, but what worked was.....................drumroll please..... I had 4 articles that must've had some crap in them. It didn't appear to visually, but here is how I solved it. It was isolated to a section of articles, so I unpublished all of the articles, and the display problem was solved. Then I turned on one article at a time and viewed the site. I finally narrowed it down to 4 offending articles and I cut and pasted them to a text editor and re-published them and deleted the old.

All good now.

http://www.speakfreaks.com

gbnam
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gbnam » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

shibu wrote:Hi,

I have solved by using this plugin.
Link : http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 23/details.

And also we can use following code to fix the IE8 issue.
This tag needs to be first in the <head> (before any css):

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

Please try.

Thanks and regards
YOU my friend are a LEGEND !!!!!

I have tried all options (thanks guys) but your help finally did the trick '

THAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU !!!!

gbnam
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gbnam » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

dontak wrote:
gbnam wrote:
shibu wrote:Hi,

I have solved by using this plugin.
Link : http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 23/details.

And also we can use following code to fix the IE8 issue.

Please try.

Thanks and regards
YOU my friend are a LEGEND !!!!!

I have tried all options (thanks guys) but your help finally did the trick '

THAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU !!!!
gbnam , can you explain more, i do it but i have error yet.
Howzit bud !

I start from top of this tread, tried every setting that people mentioned, until I tried this one, and this one finally worked.

Jewel531
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jewel531 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the help

MikeLawrey32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MikeLawrey32 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 pm

My template didn't have that line of code in the PHP...I was having problems getting my banner to show up in IE8. I re-saved it as a PNG in RGB color mode and it works fine now!

seabreaze
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seabreaze » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 am

The code below fixed my problem. Many, many thanks.

Use following code to fix the IE8 issue.

yours_j
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yours_j » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:09 am

Hi friends,

I am getting problem in IE8. I am using defalut template ja-purity when i open my site on firefox, IE7, IE6, its perfectly ok. But when i open my site on IE8 then my top logo section, top menu, and at the down the latest news section aligning on left i am using 780 width my website is in center. Can any tell me how to compitable my site on IE8.

Kaeos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kaeos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey all, I've been up and down this thread and many others out there regarding IE compatability with some Joomla templates.

www.itmiradio.com/home

For me, I am seeing the alignment issues on ALL Internet Explorer versions, yet everything is fine on Chrome and Firefox. My center and right columns line up to the left and downward from there.

I've tried every suggestion from this thread and other with the exception of some of the plug in's I've seen referenced. I am weary of adding additional modules and plug in's to fix things. Seems like it can only lead to trouble ;) I have tried adding the <meta> tags lists, no effect, I have deactivated all usesless articles and modules, I've tried messing with the left and right module widths in the template CSS.

Nothing seems to work. Would anyone be able to take a look at my site and offer some insight on why this is happening in IE for me? I'm all ears and I'd love to understand the "why" of this issue.

Thanks

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”