Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Beta Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Beta Released

Post by dhuelsmann » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Keep all commentary civil in this thread or I will be forced to lock the thread.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

daviestar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Assigning templates

Post by daviestar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm

leolam wrote:
daviestar wrote:I'm wondering if there will be a way to assign templates to something other than menu items? I would find it very useful to assign a template to a whole menu at a time.
That does not make sense at all if you know what you can do with Joomla. A menu can consist of many links to different categories in Joomla 1.6 and each of these can have a different template...Why making this for an entire menu? It is a matter of clicking a few check boxes per menu to assign a template to menu links so this makes no sense

Leo
Hi Leo

Apologies for the extremely delayed reply! Although I'm not a developer, I do understand that Joomla is extremely flexible as we base templating/modules/etc. purely on Itemid. However, I work with Joomla every day as a frontend developer/designer, and I have to constantly think of how I can streamline processes for my (astoundingly stupid) clients.

The worst case scenario of a poorly thought out Joomla site is, for example, when a user creates a new page they have to go back and assign each and every module to this new page. There are many ways around this problem. But what I am trying to describe is when you bring more than one template into the equation, as far as I know, there is no way around - every time a user wants to make a new page (for a template that is not the default), they have to know to assign the template.

I think this is a valid point. Do others?

Each Menu has an ID (as of course Sections and Categories do). So perhaps a feature would be the ability to assign templates to Menu/Section/Category, which can then be overruled per Itemid?

Thanks guys, I love Joomla.

Dave

seriously
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seriously » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:37 pm

@realityking

Or you can just adjust the percentage as you get new bugs. I can see no problem with seeing 86% one day and 79% the next day. It still tells me where you're at. How much time do you guys spend dealing with "are we there yet?" questions.

Seems like posting a percentage would free up that time.

@mcsmom

I don't think anyone is incapable of understanding that the time it takes to finish things constantly changes as new things get discovered. I already covered that point in this thread previously.

Adjusting the percentage accordingly would take care of that issue.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

biggest problem with a raw % indicator is that it doesn't take into account the relative complexity of each individual issue
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

seriously
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seriously » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

@brian

I'm sure everyone understands that. It still helps though, and is better than what there is now.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 pm

It also doesn't take into account the time spent for a new release.90% of half a year is something totally different than of three years. At the moment, I rather have the 'we have so many blockers before we can release release candidate one'. I think it's safe to say that everybody hopes that the half year cycles that will follow, in combination with the policy that nothing gets merged until ready will make Joomla release dates that much more reliable.

seriously
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seriously » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm

@Tonie & All sitting in the "glass is half empty" glass.

If there's a will there's a way. I think that's all anyone who has ever asked is trying to tell you.

JGary
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JGary » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:35 pm

@seriously

Well said.

@Tonie

The direction Joomla has already taken is toward a more agile development process. That's good. There is no value returning to a more traditional approach of "half year cycles". If a smart statistically oriented individual cared to mine the data we might be pleasantly surprised to find the development trend is pointing to a predictable date. Spending a few hours estimating will prevent the wild guesses that help no one.

SiJoom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Revert orders in 1.6?

Post by SiJoom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm

I would like to know if you can revert the order of articles/categories/sections/modules in Joomla 1.6? I know its not that important but sometimes when you want to switch the order from 1-9 to 9-1 or something along those lines, it can be time consuming. I have done this a few times with clients. Is this a worth while feature to include in 1.6?

Many thanks,

Simon

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Because some of you are so eager for information - there are only 2 RC blocking issues left. Both of them have patches attached, one just needs review from Project Leadership the other one more successful test & the review.
After that the PLT will have to decide how to go forward. If you find any issues in the current beta please report them to the Tracker so Bug Squad and PLT can get a better idea how many issues are still open. (We expect many reports after the RC is released, reporting Bugs know probably increases the attention that it gets)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:01 pm

SiJoom you can do a lot off ordering in 1.5 already (I think 6 or 7 options in the menu items) but yes you can do lots of ordering in 1.6 even better. This was a big challenge because nested categories makes moving an item with children that much more complicated but we did it.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

pekk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pekk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:38 am

Excuseme, I don't really know about this things. Suppose i want to have a Joomla 1.6 based site for the beginnings of 2011.

If I begin it now working with Joomla 1.5, will i be able to update it later easily to 1.6?. Is that option possible, or maybe it could be stupid as maybe the changes between 1.5 and 1.6 are too much to win something by trying to gain some time?

In other words, what would be your best advice if wanting to have some sites ready by, say, february or march of 2011?. Wait a little and then begin and speed up the process when 1.6 is ready, or to work more in a planned manner in 1.5, then update all when 1.6 is ready?

Hope that is clear enough.

Thanks!!!

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Migration methods will be looked at after RC1 will be brought out. There are both changes in files and database changes. It's always hard to say when to do a migration. When 1.6 is released, most extensions will not work on it yet so if you need those it might be better to start with 1.5 and do the migration after all is supported.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Or dont do the migration at all if there is nothing in 1.6 that you need. Joomla 1.5 will be supported for a long time after the release of 1.6
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Thought this was one year after the release of 1.6, which is not that long.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 am

Think about whether you need the 1.6 features. If you don't need granular access controls or nested categories you might want to stick with 1.5.
Migration gets harder with the more extensions you install. So if you think you will want to eventually migrate that is something to consider
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

pekk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pekk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 am

I think eventually you'll always want to migrate. Maybe you don't see a reason now but you will in the future. For me it is not an option to get stuck in a non-updatable version.

I thought this would be seen before doing updates and not after the new version is ready.

Thank you guys. I hope you find a way.

JGary
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JGary » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

pekk.

If you plan to only use a few extensions, try asking the extension providers when they will have a J1.6 version available.

Migration options are being considered now and an answer should be available before J1.6 is released. There is also an upgrade component (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/11658) under development.

Having said that, an error free upgrade will only come after early adopters have stumbled upon the unknown bugs. Expect six (6) months minimum before a solid upgrade path is available. So, if you go with J1.5 plan to stay with it for sometime.

When making your decision, consider that J1.5 is dependable, has thousands of available extensions, is fully supported by service providers and will be maintained for the foreseeable future. J1.6 on the other hand will have a higher number of bugs, has only a handful of available extensions, may not work out of the box on all hosts and has no clear level of adoption by the JED community.

If you are risk adverse and you must release in Feb/Mar, go with J1.5. On the other hand, if you are a skilled developer, don't mind technical challenges, and you are a thrill seeker, go with J1.6.

In short, J1.5 is tried and true, J1.6 is brand new(unreleased) and exciting.

Let us know what you decide.

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Tonie wrote:Thought this was one year after the release of 1.6, which is not that long.
Hi Tonie can you please clarify this statement? Was it a response to Brian's post? Surely you are you are not implying that support for Joomla! 1.5 will be terminated one year after version 1.6 stable is released? I sincerely hope not and that your were referring to something else.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:10 am

That is exactly what I was implying. The new strategy is described here: http://developer.joomla.org/strategy.html

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks for the link Tonie.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

helmutc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by helmutc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 am

Hello,

First of all let me congratulate all the team behind the development of 1.6 for their amazing job.

I've been tracking all the updates regarding the 1.6 development since August and the new features/improvements are all just what i need for my website, that has currently 1.5 version and on hold, cause i want to update later to 1.6.

I have a question though. Is it possible to save all my articles in a sql format and export it to joomla 1.6?

I'm asking cause i don't know if the sql scructure will be exactly the same, expecting some difficulties in the process of exporting more than 1000 articles into the new version. I have installed on 1.5 a lot of components, plugins and modules, which i don't know if it messes with the current database structure i have now.

I have only the basic understanding of sql, that's why this question.

This seemed the best topic to make such a question. My apologies if i posted in the wrong section.

Regards.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 pm

From an install, check out /installation/sql/mysql/sample_data.sql. This is used to populate the sample data in a new installation. It can be altered to do your own content as well. There should be some utilities that allow you to the same, but those are probably still for Joomla 1.5.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Holy Cheezits Batman!

Presently, there is only one RC blocker!

I realize that there will be less activity during the holidays, but... Assuming the 13th brings RC1 and that few bugs are reported/fixed in RC1, is it possible for 1.6 to be released at the two week interval on Dec 27th?
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:00 pm

From the PLT Notes from the 7 December meeting:

"2. We are on track for RC1 on 13 December. Decided to target general availability for 10 January 2011 (instead of 27 December 2010) because of holiday schedules."

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm

So, I take that to mean there will be no release on the 27th. Is this a correct assumption?

That's perfectly OK by me, everyone deserves to have their holiday to spend with their families. Merry Christmas all!
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Don't know if that means no release at all or if they will continue the two week release cycle and go with RC2. Guess it all depends on those who build the packages.

helmutc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by helmutc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:05 pm

@Toni

Thank you for your answer. I will look as soon as a final 1.6 release comes out.

Looking forward to see the final product.

DExposito
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DExposito » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:13 pm

We are going to have a meeting this end of year in our organisation in order to arrange the new webpage creation.

Should we expect to do it in Joomla 1.6? We have been waiting for months and still...

We are also wondering about the templates...Once the final version is available, we'll have to wait until the different template providers to launch templates for 1.6 or could we use the 1.5 ones?

I would be grateful if someone could give me some advises about it!

Kindest Regards,

Daniel
P.F.I. Spain

comraseliteunit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by comraseliteunit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:21 pm

hi, i have 2 question..

1. just wanted to know something about this Joomla 1.6.. i know there will be no "Section", only the articles and categories right? i have my site, in which at the moment just contain few articles (3000+), around (750+) categories and (56) sections.. this will keep growing but i wanted to ask, these categories contains lots of same "name" but different section.. example:-

SECTION\CATEGORY

Gaming\Football
Gaming\Racing
Gaming\Shooting

Sports\Football
Sports\Racing
Sports\Shooting

Military\Football
Military\Racing
Military\Shooting

so in this example, there are 3 categories with same name but different section.. so in Joomla 1.6, how do we able to distinguished from each category? because there will be no "section" and then the categories will be all the same except for their respective " ID's "..

2. In the Global Configuration > System > Session Settings > Session Handler = DATABASE & NONE

i read somewhere in the forum, if the SITE is LARGE, it is good to disable it (choose NONE) to make the site load faster, is it true? if i choose " Session Handler as NONE ", will that be a problem? is it safe to DISABLE that? my site will have the jomsocial community area, kunena forum and many more, so will it be okay if i " DISABLE THE SESSION HANDLER "?

please share some insights, thank you very much :D
help each other in order to produce successful joomla community
Darul Hadith | DefenderOfSunnah Research Center!

Return to “Announcements Discussions”