Path to Log folder - /var/logs

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
1tech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Path to Log folder - /var/logs

Post by 1tech » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I have just installed the latest version of Joomla 1.5.22 using Installatron in my shared hosts cPanel (LAMP) to one of my subdomains.

Within the admin back end of Joomla, in the menu (Help > System Info > Directory Permissions) I have an unwrittable error noted for "Log Directory ($log_path) /var/logs/".
Warning: is_writable() [function.is-writable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/logs) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/accountname:/usr/lib/php:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/accountname/public_html/subdomain/administrator/components/com_admin/admin.admin.html.php on line 289
Unwritable
I notice in the directory structure of Joomla root that there is a folder for "logs".

My question is therefore should the $log_path above be pointing to the logs folder in the Joomla root? Would that pose a security vulnerability though, would it be better for this to be outside of the public_html folder structure?

Thanks in advance

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Path to Log folder - /var/logs

Post by dpacadmin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 am

Your logs path does not look correct, if it is incorrect you will get an unwritable error. The path needs to be the absolute path to the logs and tmp folders, it is stored in the configuration.php file. You should be able to find the absolute path to your site on your Host's site, in their FAQs or your Control Panel. You can upload the path file I am attaching to your tmp folder and open it in your browser, this will show the absolute path to the folder it is in. Use the path to edit your configuration.php file and correct the paths for your tmp and logs folders.
path.zip
As to your site's security read through these documents if you want to increase your site's security.
http://docs.joomla.org/Security
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1tech
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Path to Log folder - /var/logs

Post by 1tech » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 am

Thank you, updating the path to the logs folder in the joomla root fixed the problem.

Return to “Installation 1.5”