Joomla 1.6 Admin Role Separation

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
EdmiTrev
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.6 Admin Role Separation

Post by EdmiTrev » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:36 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is possible, but I guess 1.6 is going to go close...

If I create a user and make them a part of the "Managers" user group. Then inside the user manager, I highlight the "Manager" user group and click the Options button, I get to then click on the "Permissions" tab.

If I then highlight the "Manager" group and change the "Access Component" action to "Allowed".

This works well, as the user who is a member of the "Managers group" can login to the back end of the Joomla 1.6 website and access the user manager. The whole point to this exercise is to give a user elevated rights to act as a "mini-admin". Their role is therefore to add/remove/block users, reset passwords, and modify email addresses etc...

The only issue I have found is while this works great, they also have the ability to add themselves and other users to the "Administrators" group. This is not what I want... ;)

My question : Is it possible to limit the "Assigned User Groups" when modifying the properties on a user, to not show this user group. Note that I have found that trying to make any user a "Super User" denies access to edit this user type - which is great, but I would also like to somehow limit the Administrator user as well.

Very much looking forward to 1.6 RC !!

Cheers,
Trev.

EdmiTrev
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Joomla 1.6 Admin Role Separation

Post by EdmiTrev » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:04 am

Just so this is clear...

What I am trying to do is create a Joomla Website as a specific customer portal. Maybe 15 users can log into this customer portal website. However, we only want one user to become a team leader for this specific customer portal who is allowed to maintain user accounts.

I do not want them to be able to view and modify any other parts of the website, and therefore do not want them to have administrator rights.

This way they can look after their own group of users, who may come and go, forget passwords and change email addresses etc... without myself needing to perform any of these maintenance functions.

Thanks for any help guys.

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla 1.6 Admin Role Separation

Post by DC_Navan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Trev!

Any luck on this?

Im looking to do something similar as I won't be around to maintain the simple tasks of the site soon enough.

Cheers!

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”