1.6RC1 - Messaging component?

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
Xtracted
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

1.6RC1 - Messaging component?

Post by Xtracted » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 am

In the backend under the "Components" menu there is a messaging component. If I go to "send private message" I cant find any users to send messages to. Is there something missing to get this component to work? Shouldn't there be a module to show messages in the frontend linked to this component or is it supposed to be used differently?

karan.gadhavi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 1.6RC1 - Messaging component?

Post by karan.gadhavi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi,

To see user there first you need to add some users in site then you will be able to send them message.

Thanks
http://www.gadhavitechnologies.com <------- Outsource your Joomla work
Hire Joomla Designer / Developer / SEO (Let me know if we can't use this)

Xtracted
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Xtracted » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Ehm, yes.. I have users registered and active on my site but I still cant see any in the messaging component..

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 pm

For users to use com_messages, they have to have access to login to the admin backend and access to the component.

bradm
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bradm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Xtracted,

I was googling "joomla messaging component", and this forum post actually showed up 4th for me. I understand it's generally not good practice to respond in threads so old (this one started in 2010), but because I found it and the answer didn't seem 100% clear, I'll post a quick response.

I just recently wrote a tutorial on the Joomla Messaging Component and in my testing I noticed that you can only send private messages to Administrators and Super Users.

There are a few other things to keep in mind as well:

1. You may be able to update the components options to allow yourself to send messages to registered users (I'm not 100% on this, but according to the settings it looks possible).

2. When you send anyone a private message, they get an email notification of the new message. Still, this email notification does not include the message itself.

3. In order to read the new private message, the user HAS to log into the admin dashboard for joomla. So, if you allow the component to send registered users messages, you must also allow them to log into the dashboard (which *may* be a security issue).
Please let me know if I can help any further.
Thanks, BradM, with http://www.inmotionhosting.com Support

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”