Welsh Language Joomla

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Welsh Language Joomla

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 am

HI everyone,

Just to let you all know I am now the Welsh Language co-ordinator.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here or pm/email me.

Plans are to create a fully installable Welsh language joomla package and also to provide translations for components.

We are on the Docman team and front end translation is available on the Welsh project pages, as is 1.0.13 language pack.

Paul

igevans
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Welsh Language Joomla

Post by igevans » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:38 pm

hotnuts21 wrote: Just to let you all know I am now the Welsh Language co-ordinator.
That's great news and thanks. 
hotnuts21 wrote: We are on the Docman team and front end translation is available on the Welsh project pages, as is 1.0.13 language pack.
I will be doing some updating of the 1.5 translation (site first, admin second, install last or not at all) and will have this ready by the end of February.  In the meantime there is already a fairly complete translation, which is also on the Welsh project pages.

Ifan

In the meantime, there's

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 am

Ok, I need to set up a Welsh website so we can co-ordinate, what people are doing.

I have someone working on the installer, we were aiming for the 1.5 release to have it installable in Welsh but sadly it did not happen. So with your work it looks like we might crack it by the end of February, then its just content for a fully installable package.

Paul

igevans
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by igevans » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:49 pm

hotnuts21 wrote: I have someone working on the installer
One thing for them to bear in mind is that the Welsh Language Board have published a standardised list of terms for websites & IT.

http://www.e-gymraeg.org/bwrdd-yr-iaith ... px?lang=en

Ifan

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Excellent, she is a fully qualified translator but i will point her in the right direction, many thanks for the link.

Paul

dailyinvention
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dailyinvention » Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 pm

Hello, I'm really interested in your project. I'm putting together a site for the Welsh Center of our University. I've tried the beta for 1.5 and had some difficulty with it. If I can help with the project in any way I can I would be happy to. I know my way around PHP pretty well and think I could contribute.

Stefan

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:27 pm

What issues have you had with the beta? It should install nicely.

We have been working on the latest release but our translator left the company which has held things up, but we should get back on it soon.

Also where are you based?

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 am

Hi, although I'm in Australia I am currently supporting the building of a site (in Joomla! 1.5.3) for a community group in Wales and the availability of a Welsh translation would be a real asset to the site. How far along are your plans? How can I activate this site to take advantage of the language data you already have?
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:30 am

HI Ilox,

Which community groups are you working with, I am currently involved in a nationaly project with community groups and Joomla :)

If you download and install the current 1.5 language pack for both admin and site, you will then be able to update when we release the next pack. The current one is more or less done. Our translator left so we have been held up a little although its nearly done :)

Paul

Barrya
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Barrya » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Dear Hotnuts21
Ilox is working with me on the website and he suggested that I introduce myself, so here goes, I am the Webmaster for Penarth District Scout Council and with Ilox's help, we have produce a new site using Joomla! (not yet "live" but can be viewed at : http://ps.loxtonfamily.info

We are trying to sort out a system that will translate the site into welsh with ease, as I cannot speak welsh!
Se we are trying to find a system to do this.

Any help appreciated
Many thanks for posting a reply to Ilox
Regards
Barry

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the slow reply. The project I am working on is Community Archives Wales, one of our current groups is currently based within a scout hut and works with the scouts. You can see our website here www.ourwales.org.uk

I see you have started to get to grips with the translation of your site. Essentially there are two parts. The language packs like the one provided in Jcode, which translates all of the core joomla text like "log in", "read more", "components" essentially the stuff that comes with Joomla. The language packs provide the translated text for this.

For the content though you have to do that manually for joomla 1.0 you can use Joomfish but for 1.5 there is nothing currently available. Joomfish has a beta version out which may be suitable and there is a solution called Nooku which should be released soon which we are trialling, but neither are in a final release candidate. Until that time you can probably use (and I notice you are) Joomfish as its available. This will allow you to get your site translated, the main problem of course is finding someone to actually do that translation for you if your not a Welsh speaker yourself. With joomfish the translator can look at the english and just type a translation direct into the site, so its a nice easy system to use.

Sorry thats not more helpfull, but hopefully it helps some, feel free to contact me if you need more.

Barrya
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Barrya » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Hotnuts21
Many thanks for taking the time to look at the site and your comments, most appreciated!

I an new to Joomla! and was introduced to it by Ilox, although it has been a learning curve for us both and we are still learning. I am used to HTML, and adding content via Notepad! so this is entirely a new experience for a 61 year old! Grin!

I am in the process of trying to find a friendly Welsh Speaker to help, and keeping my fingers crossed.
I will certainly keep in touch, bu please keep an eye on our site and if you see anything we have done wrong, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Best Wishes
Barry
Webmaster and District Secretary
Penarth District Scout Concil

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Once you get your head around Joomla you will see the power it can wield, and what you can do with it.

Let us know when you launch and i will check out the site, I used to be a scout myself even managed to earn my Chief Scouts Award which at the time was pretty cool, I only remember two of us ever getting it!

Speak soon
Paul

Barrya
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Barrya » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 pm

hi
Many thanks, the site can be viewed at http://ps.loxtonfamily.info/cms/, although we are still working on it and waiting to transfer our present domain name, www.penarthscouts.org.uk

I will certainly keep you informed
Best wishes
Barry

dyfrig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dyfrig » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 pm

I'm currently working on a fully bilingual site using Joomla 1.5.8, Joomfish and Ifan's Translations Manager. I have already updated several of Ifan's original translation files to v 1.5.8 I intend to do more work on translating and am very willing to contribute whatever I do to the overall project of having an up to date translations of front end and back end. How can I ensure that I'm not reinventing the wheel i.e. not translating files already done by others? I am a fluent first language welsh speaker working in IT but not done much in terms of web design and very new to Joomla.

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Dyfrig,

Can you drop me a PM and I can tell you where we are with the current translation. I am currently the 'official' welsh language, language team member if that makes sense!!

Paul.

paulcreedy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by paulcreedy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi

I'm not sure if there is a more recent topic going on, but I need to embark on an english/welsh site using Joomla 1.5

Is there a complete welsh pack for 1.5 joomla available? I can only see 1.0?

dyfrig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dyfrig » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Ifan's translation is for 1.5 but it hasn't been updated recently. I've made do with it, translating anything extra I needed as I went along. My site is using Joomla 1.5.21 (probably latest 1.5.22 after this weekend). I haven't found enough time to do as much work on translations as I had hoped - I would like to have a translation of a forum (probably Kunena).

If you would like my versions of the 1.5 translations as they are - basically Ifan's with a few extras - then let me know.

paulcreedy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by paulcreedy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Hello dyfig

That would be useful thank you. The problem I seem to be having is getting the text translated. It's very expensive.

I'll PM you my email

Thanks again

MikeEllis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MikeEllis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi Paul, I'm a freelance consultant based in North Wales (near Prestatyn). Just completed my first Joomla! 1.6 site. Works great and really impressed with Joomla. Just about to upgrade it to 1.7. See www.tasteincorporated.co.uk

Very interested in your welsh translation project although I am not a welsh speaker myself.

If I can help in any way, please feel free to contact me? ([email protected])

Mike

paulcreedy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by paulcreedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Looks a nice joomla template.

I eventually got all my stuff translated with the help of students. May not be 100% accurate, but since they were fluent speakers should be near enough, and a faction of the cost.

That site is still on 1.5 (don't have time to redo it yet), but other sites I have are on 1.6 and looking at 1.7 with interest.

nick_t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nick_t » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Having agreed to support Joomla! for school website hosting, Powys County Council will be producing a 2.5 Welsh translation of Joomla! and a number of extensions.

We expect to have a package ready for testing during March 2012.

If any Welsh speaking Joomla users would like to assist in reviewing the translations before we release it please email me.

- Nick

leep1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by leep1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi,

Is there any update on the pack?

If not is there a way of enabling Welsh to be selected for the content in Language Switcher?

I have ready translated content and just need to get it displayed.

Thanks

Lee

dyfrig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dyfrig » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:57 pm

(English below)
Newydd ddechrau cyfieithu yr estyniad fforwm Kunena i'r Gymraeg. Mae yn yn cael ei wneud drwy Transifex. Os oes gennych ddiddordeb mewn cynorthwyo yna ymunwch a Transifex a nodwch eich bod yn siarad Cymraeg ( defnyddiwch Welsh United Kingdom cy_GB). Gadewch i mi wybod a gallaf eich gwahodd i ymuno a'r tîm unai fel cyfieithydd neu adolygydd.

I have just started a Welsh translation of Kunena Forum extension. This is done online via Transifex. Anyone interested in joining the translation team please sign up to Transifex, note that you speak Welsh (Please use Welsh United Kingdom cy_GB), let me know, and I'll invite you to join the team as translators or reviewers.

nick_t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nick_t » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:10 pm

leep1 wrote: Is there any update on the pack?
As stated in the post, the translation is being done by our council translation unit and I'm hoping to have a version for testing late March (which could slip into April). Anyone who would like to have a copy for testing/checking is welcome to email me and I'll send a copy as soon as I have it myself!

sionp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sionp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:39 am

Gweler y post canlynol am y fersiwn beta gyntaf o'r pecyn mae nick_t yn ei gyfeirio ato:
See the following post for the first beta version of the package nick_t is referring to:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=731448

diggles1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by diggles1972 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:23 am

Hi,

I can locate a Welsh Language Pack for Joomla 2.5 but I am using Joomla 3.0. Can I use the 2.5 language pack or is there a 3.0 in production please? I wish I were a better Welsh speaker as I could help with creating a pack. Diolch yn fawr/Thank you.

dyfrig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dyfrig » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 pm

You could probably use the 2.5 version as a starting point but you would need to add to this to translate Joomla 3 specific items if you use them on your website(s). If you do decide to use the 2.5 version make sure that you use the excellent one posted by SionP (produced by Powys County Council) not the 'offical' one from the Joomla website which is atrocious.

namtran77741
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by namtran77741 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:07 am

Hello!

That would be useful thank you.

pishro
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pishro » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 am

New modules and components to what extent they support the Welsh language?
Thank you for your help and guidance

Return to “Welsh Forum”