Check in function

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
free-rebel
I've been banned!

Check in function

Post by free-rebel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 am

Hi,

For what I need to use function ''Check in''
Also second question which parameter send that I need check article or menu item, or something and put button there

See pic.
article.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I m Rebel ...

DeanMarshall
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Check in function

Post by DeanMarshall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 am

A very quick introduction to the concept of 'check out' and 'check in'.

Joomla is a multi user system meaning that more than one person can be in the system editing articles and changing other settings.

Imagine what would happen if 'User A' started to edit an article, and shortly after 'User B' starts to edit the same article. User A takes his time and does a major rewrite. Before he gets to save it - User B opens the same article and makes minor edits (perhaps correcting a typo in the original).

What would happen if User A saves his major edit - and then User B saves the minor edit moments later. You guessed it (hopefully) the final saved article would be User B's minor change and User A would be a little annoyed.

To prevent this - when someone starts to work on an article (and indeed many other 'objects' within Joomla) the system 'checks out' the item - marking it as being unavailable for anyone else to edit. The system 'checks in' the item, making it available to others, after it is saved - or if the user cancels his edit.

What if the person doing the edit never saves or cancels. Perhaps his session times out, or he loses his internet connection, or he hits the BACK button in his browser? The item stays Checked Out indefinitely. So allowing users to check-in items marked as being edited by themselves, or allowing Super Admins to Check-in items that they are reasonably sure are not actually still being edited by anyone allows normal operation of the site to continue.

Hope that explains what this feature is for.

Dean
Dean Marshall Consultancy - six Joomla experts - http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/

Joomla Experts - Joomla Support http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/joomla-se ... pport.html

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 am

Great, many thanks for your answer :pop

so if I will not check in after some changes and it shown that I need it do it, it will check in itself when I log out or never ? Bc. when I saved it, there is icon for showing me, that it need be check in, but it was already saved
I m Rebel ...

DeanMarshall
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by DeanMarshall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 am

Saving, or cancelling out of the edit, should check the item back in - and remove any padlock from the screen. It may be (theoretically) possible (perhaps) that your server loaded the new page before the database finished saving the data back and you could see a padlock after you've saved - but this would mean you had a really slow database server.

If you navigate away from the article manager and then back - does the padlock still display?
If it does, you may have found a bug.

Dean
Dean Marshall Consultancy - six Joomla experts - http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/

Joomla Experts - Joomla Support http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/joomla-se ... pport.html

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 am

so I checked it, it will happens when I go edit erticle from frontend, then I logout or go somewhere without save, then padlock is displaying and I need check in or edit it

Edit: so you was right , it is ok, but now I m not sure if before was the same situation, but probably yes, bc. maybe I had opened some article from frontend and check it in backend.

Thank you
I m Rebel ...

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi again ;)

What does it mean ... I login to my admin, go to modules and there was padlock on breadcrums.
Ii is on localhost, so nobody do something with it and also I did not something with breadcrums today.
Why it can be marked with padlock, that it means, it need to be check in ?

Edit: now I m seeing, that, there is also date, time and user why it was check out ;) it was today, so probably I opened that, I dont know ;)
I m Rebel ...

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”