New template in Joomla 1.6 doesn't show up.

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

New template in Joomla 1.6 doesn't show up.

Post by jorhett » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 am

So I took a copy of beez5 and hacked it up to meet my needs. Renamed all the fields etc. No reference to beez remains. Stored it in /templates/mytempname ... can't find it in the backend.

I've changed the directory name a few times now, renamed all the files, removed anything which could conflict... and it still doesn't show up in the template list.

Huh?

A. How do I fix this.

B. Perhaps this should be documented?
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: New template in Joomla 1.6 doesn't show up.

Post by jorhett » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

Okay apparently you need to move it to a different location then "install" it using the module manager.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 am

The extensions manager.
Yes templates need to be installed though you can use the discover option.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:33 am

mcsmom wrote:The extensions manager.
Yes templates need to be installed though you can use the discover option.
I tried the discover option and it said that nothing had been found. Even though it was in the templates directory.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 am

Well if you did not uninstall the beez then it's not going to discover something new.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:47 pm

mcsmom wrote:Well if you did not uninstall the beez then it's not going to discover something new.
Why did you make this statement? Does it somehow magickally know that beez and this are related? I doubt that.

See my note above -- the template was completely rewritten, including templateDetails.xml. Unless Joomla has psychic powers, it had no way to determine that these templates are the same.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 am

Did you move it or not?

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 am

mcsmom wrote:Did you move it or not?
As my opening line said "So I took a copy of beez5 and hacked it up to meet my needs. Renamed all the fields etc. No reference to beez remains. ."

I assumed that the astute reader was intelligent enough to understand when I said "no reference to beez remains" and would thus understand that I renamed the directory.

Let's be specific.
cp -R beez5 fastlizard
Edited every file in fastlizard directory. Changed every single field in templateDetails.xml. Gutted the header at the top of index.php and removed all references to BEEZ params. Replaced many of the css files, renamed many things in the css files and the files themselves. Added lots of my own images and removed images specific to beez.

find /site/fastlizard/templates/fastlizard -type f -name "*bee*"
find /site/fastlizard/templates/fastlizard -type f -name "*BEE*"
find /site/fastlizard/templates/fastlizard -type f -name "*Bee*"
find /site/fastlizard/templates/fastlizard -type f -exec grep -i bee {} \;

...all return nothing.

I believe that you could be very helpful if you tried to believe what was clearly stated in the opening post is all true.

And why exactly would you assume that if I hadn't done this, that the resolution in my second post would have worked?
mv /site/fastlizard/templates/fastlizard /tmp/fastlizard
Open administrator, go to install modules, choose "/tmp/fastlizard" and let it install.

Now the exact same files are in the exact same place and it just works. I'm assuming there is some database parameter which needed to be tickled.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:16 am

Templates don't appear automatically in Joomla anymore like they do in 1.5. But you can copy the template in the right folder (=the templates folder, like in 1.5) and then go into the installer to the "Discover" screen, click discover and then select your new template and then click install. This should make your template appear in the template manager with a default style, etc.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Jorhett, Thanks I'll make sure to remember not to try to assist you with any problems you may have in the future.

Also, please use the support forum for support not the bug reporting one.

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm

mcsmom wrote:Jorhett, Thanks I'll make sure to remember not to try to assist you with any problems you may have in the future.
Perhaps I missed the part where you were trying to assist me? I only saw the part where you were asking questions already answered in the original post.
Also, please use the support forum for support not the bug reporting one.
It's not a support question, it's a bug report. Discover doesn't work. It is requested that we post things here to confirm they are bugs before opening bug reports, so I am doing this. Unless you have something specific I should check, I'll go ahead and open this as a bug in the bug system.

It's also a bug report in that there is documentation about templates for 1.6 and this is clearly a very significant change and it isn't mentioned there at all.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Hackwar wrote:Templates don't appear automatically in Joomla anymore like they do in 1.5. But you can copy the template in the right folder (=the templates folder, like in 1.5) and then go into the installer to the "Discover" screen, click discover and then select your new template and then click install. This should make your template appear in the template manager with a default style, etc.
If you should read back upward in this thread you'll find that I did exactly what you mentioned -- I created the template in the /templates folder and I clicked Discover and it couldn't find it. The only method which worked was to move it to a different directory and then Install it as a module.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:49 pm

jorhett wrote:
Hackwar wrote:Templates don't appear automatically in Joomla anymore like they do in 1.5. But you can copy the template in the right folder (=the templates folder, like in 1.5) and then go into the installer to the "Discover" screen, click discover and then select your new template and then click install. This should make your template appear in the template manager with a default style, etc.
If you should read back upward in this thread you'll find that I did exactly what you mentioned -- I created the template in the /templates folder and I clicked Discover and it couldn't find it. The only method which worked was to move it to a different directory and then Install it as a module.
Jorhett I just completed copying a template renaming the name of the template in the details file, to match the name I gave to the copy (folder name), and used discover to find the template without any issues.

I suggest you go back through the template you created (edited/altered/gutted BEEZ) and figure out what you changed that is not allowing the template to be discovered.

Saying you "gutted" the files isn't very helpful to say what exactly you have changed.

Why would you ever install a template as a module? It is a template. If your template installed as a module, then I suggest you really did change something incorrectly.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Jenny wrote:I suggest you go back through the template you created (edited/altered/gutted BEEZ) and figure out what you changed that is not allowing the template to be discovered.
"Look at this piece of text and tell me what's wrong with it."

Uh... one needs to know the criteria that it is being judged on to know how to answer. You can't tell someone to fix what is wrong without telling them the important criteria. You can't get there from here. The criteria for what needs to be set correctly needs to be documented.

Note again that this installed just fine from the Extensions manager and is working perfectly. So whatever the criteria is for Discover is different from what it needs to operate. The criteria for Discover is clearly unique.
Jenny wrote:Saying you "gutted" the files isn't very helpful to say what exactly you have changed.
I am sorry you are unfamiliar with the common phrase. It means that nothing which was inside remains inside. Everything inside the file has changed. From a context of making sure the system can tell it apart from the other templates, there is no way any text-based analysis could believe it to be related to it's source.
Why would you ever install a template as a module? It is a template. If your template installed as a module, then I suggest you really did change something incorrectly.
These kind of comments leave me baffled. It's a template. It installed as a template, it shows up in the extension manager as a template, it functions as a template. Why you would assume that I installed this and it shows as a module, but somehow works as a template...

What I said was that I installed it "as a module" which is well known english to mean "as one would install a module". Which is part of the completely new, completely undocumented way of dealing with templates.

Given that the extension manager doesn't give you a choice -- doesn't ask you if you are installing a template or a module or a component, my statement has no ambiguity.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

This thread can be closed.

Post by jorhett » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:16 pm

This particular thread demonstrates a pattern of rudeness that is completely incompatible with me (or anyone else I know who isn't into being abused) continuing to do any testing or bug fixes for Joomla.

I didn't receive a single coherent, polite response. The answers to my questions here could have been summed up easily in either of these responses:

"Good point. I've updated the documentation on how to create templates. You can find that [here]. Help us update this as you develop your template."

OR

"Yes, templates are now treated as extensions in Joomla 1.6. If you want to create the module in the templates directory, you use the Discover option to find your template there. For Discover to work properly you need to do 1... 2... 3... in your new template.

The documentation is really behind on this. Perhaps you can help update it?"

Those are polite and useful responses. They answer the questions asked, and they assume that the questioner is competent. They solicit the person to assist with the project.

What you find in this thread instead is rude responses assuming fault of the questioner. Not just from other users, but from a member of the core Joomla team.

Yeah, I'm at fault. For wasting my time with a project where people would rather insult and attack others than improve the code and documentation. Sorry, I got better things to do with my time.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Actually you received a long series of polite and serious responses which you were not responsive to. This is a place to try to fix bugs and you have not provided a single bit of additional information since your first post. For example, what is in your data base? Do you have a style in the templates_style folder? Do you have the template in the assets table as well as in the extensions table? When you say you are not seeing it do you mean in the template grid, the style gird or both? Did you upload your zip somewhere so we could look at it?

As and experienced developer you are well aware of what it takes to allow someone to understand whether there is a bug and if so to track it down, but you have not participated in that process and instead insisted that everyone who politely asked you questions is rude. Sorry, this is not the general/new to joomla forum this is a development forum and we are here to work not make idle chit chat.

jorhett
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jorhett » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:39 pm

mcsmom wrote:Actually you received a long series of polite and serious responses which you were not responsive to. This is a place to try to fix bugs and you have not provided a single bit of additional information since your first post. For example, what is in your data base? Do you have a style in the templates_style folder? Do you have the template in the assets table as well as in the extensions table? When you say you are not seeing it do you mean in the template grid, the style gird or both? Did you upload your zip somewhere so we could look at it?
I'm sorry, I've scrolled up and down and read this thread several times and I don't see any of these questions being asked.
As and experienced developer you are well aware of what it takes to allow someone to understand whether there is a bug and if so to track it down, but you have not participated in that process and instead insisted that everyone who politely asked you questions is rude. Sorry, this is not the general/new to joomla forum this is a development forum and we are here to work not make idle chit chat.
Nice attempt to assign blame. There are no assumptions of rudeness -- it's right there in the words they used. At no point did I want chit-chat, what I wanted was for the technical problem I described to be dealt with technically. Had you mentioned a single one of the technical issues you specified in this after-the-fact post at any point prior, perhaps we might have had a useful technical conversation. Instead you withheld those technical issues in favor being rude and not answering any of the technical questions I raised.

Yes, had you responded with technical questions related to my query this would have been focused on improving Joomla. Instead, as I said in my PM, you win. You got to treat someone nastily for whatever purpose that served you. And I'll be damned before I contribute patches to a project which gives you a platform to be rude to others.
Jo Rhett
geek, rambler, racer

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 pm

jorhett, I, too, think you are acting not really open and friendly towards us.

Anyway, please post your template XML so that we might help you what is wrong. I, too, didn't have a problem discovering a template, so if you show us that XML, we migh be able to help.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:20 am

As Hackwar states please post your xml file. Better yet post a link to download the template itself.

There are two confirmations that there is no issue in discovering a copy of a template with the appropriate changes being made to the xml file, I also confirm that there is no issue discovering a completely new template not associated with any of the default 1.6 templates. It would seem your "gutting" has caused your issue. Without exact details of what your template contains, how it is coded and what the xml file states, there is no way to be able to tell you what to look for.

As for rudeness, you repeatedly disrespected others with remarks regarding intelligence, and by dragging the topic off course with diatribes about everything but the issue you are having. No one is forcing you to participate or contribute, and you are with certainty making it difficult for anyone to wish to help you in the future with any problems.

Have a nice day.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

tabularjon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tabularjon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:15 pm

This discussion was useful to me as I had the same problem. I did eventually succeed - clicking on the Discover tab was not sufficient, I had to click on the Discover icon (like a refresh icon), top right before my template appeared. Hope this helps somebody.

thune
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thune » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Yes, that's correct. The Discover tab is not working (RC1). I also had to click on the Discover-icon to show the template. This thread wouldn't exist if the discover tab had worked...

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:12 am

The tab is just a tab, it's not going to do the discovering for you. It will show by default the list of things that have been previously discovered but not installed. Going to a tab is just like opening a slider, by itself it does nothing.

mamuna2m
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mamuna2m » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am

templates-> i create a new templates (copy to beez_20) -> than edit templates name and templateDetails.xml-> but not show template in "Template Manager"

Anyone solved it?
Best regards, Md. Abdullah Al Mamun, Sr. Web Development Engineer
Cell: +8801741675667
E-mail: [email protected]
Dhaka, Bangladesh, http://www.abdullah-al-mamun.info/

thune
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thune » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

In the Extension manager click on the discover tab on top and then click on the discover button in the upper right corner. You should see the template and be able to install it.

mamuna2m
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mamuna2m » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks thune. Great job
Best regards, Md. Abdullah Al Mamun, Sr. Web Development Engineer
Cell: +8801741675667
E-mail: [email protected]
Dhaka, Bangladesh, http://www.abdullah-al-mamun.info/

cimorrison
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cimorrison » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

So I go in to the Discover tab, click the Discover icon and my new template appears. I then install it and it says Discover and Install successful. However when I go back to the template manager it's not there. Any ideas why??

Campbell

cimorrison
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cimorrison » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:34 pm

It's OK - I've just found it. I'd forgotten to rename it.

Campbell

zexelon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zexelon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 am

Okay... for the record, allot of the posts in this thread are clearly by users who have been part of the development path for Joomla 1.6 and know everything about it... And yes, most of these reply's are rude and abusive...

I just spent the last 3 or 4 hours trying to figure out why my template was not being listed exactly as described above... I have since solved it, however it should be noted that the "Discover" method is seriously un-intuitive! If you cant have templates auto-discover as it did in 1.5 at least put a "Discover Templates" button in big bold letters ON the template page.

Take a chapter from the Apple OS/Windows 7 books on UI design, if it takes more the 2 or 3 clicks to perform a critical task, you have lost the user.

In any event, the solution is in this thread... its just a pain to find and overly abusive.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 am

I think the idea of putting a discover button in the template manager is interesting. Can you post it in http://ideas.joomla.org please? Maybe someone can do that for 1.7.

doolz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by doolz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I agree with jorhett,
You guys have been completely useless in helping him. I could follow what he said in his posts and was surprised to find all the stupid questions you asked him.
I think you should all apologize to him.

If you don't know the answer to a question, don't make something up. You'll just appear stupid and not help anyone.

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”