Problem installing Template

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
apt763
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by apt763 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to install a template using Upload File and I get a # Bad Response error - Unable to move file. I've checked the FTP details and they are correct, I've also checked the directory permissions and they are all set to 'writing'.

I've then tried to unzip the file and put it in the tmp folder and then to Install from Directory and I get this error: # FTP: :mkdir: Bad response
# Template Install: Failed to create directory: domain\site\templates\jm-creative

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

meedi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by meedi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I too have problem installing template in 1.6... message is
* JFolder::create: Could not create directory
* Unable to create destination
i'm using uwamp on winxp, as in j-1.5.15 , there is no problem in installing or no [permissions r required, is there a permissions related issue or what? anyone

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problem installing Template

Post by ecweb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 am

same problem here - anyone found a solution?
I'm running the site through cpanel on an Apache server.
Yours,
EC WEB / Joomla Web Design Services Melbourne
http://www.easyjoomla.com.au

sullen_penguin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sullen_penguin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I've just installed Joomla for the first time, I'm using a paid for webhost. Installation went off without a hitch.

The problem is with templates, I've tried a variety of things:

1) I've entered Administration - Extensions - Extension Manager - Upload Package File and attempted to upload the Zip file from my Hard Drive (Template which specifies it is for Joomla 1.6) and I get the following error:

JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning: Failed to move file!

2) I've unzipped the Template package and placed the files in the tmp directory and attempted the 'Install From Directory' option and entered the correct path to the unzipped files. I get the following error:

Please enter a package directory

3) I've unzipped the files and placed the unzipped folder in the templates folder with the other preinstalled templates to see if it would show up in the 'Template Manager' screen, no luck there.

I've checked all the relevant folders (Templates. Tmp, Modules, Components) and they are all CHMOD set to 777.

I've checked the 'Configuration.php' file and paths to TMP and LOGS folders are correct.

I'm totally out of ideas :/ Anyone think of anything I haven't tried yet ? (totally new to Joomla but am familiar with the CMS concept as I've messed around with Drupal before).

Thanks in advance,

Fintan

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Are you running php as cgi?

If php are running as an apache module you will have permission problems.

Do not chmod 777. You will get hacked.

sullen_penguin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sullen_penguin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm

I'm not 100% sure, its whatever the default the webhost has setup, don't really know how to go about checking that. PHP was just running when I installed Joomla, I didn't have to do anything on my end?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Use the Forum Post assistant.

You can also see it in Site->System Information in the backend.

sullen_penguin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sullen_penguin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks I'll check my Joomla installation for that, if it is a case I am running it as an apache problem is there a way I can change this or does the webhost have to do this?

Thanks for the help :)

Fintan

sullen_penguin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sullen_penguin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Hmm this is the info I see?

WebServer to PHP Interface: apache2handler

Do you reckon this is causing the problems?

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecweb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:Use the Forum Post assistant.

You can also see it in Site->System Information in the backend.
Ok, here's my results from the Forum Post assistant. I'm having the exact same problems as the others have described above.
JTS-post Diagnostic Information wrote:Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.6.0 Stable [ Onward ] 10-Jan-2011 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-89.0.25.ELsmp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8 | PHP Version: 5.2.10
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5 or above): Yes | iconv Support (1.5 or above): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: ( )
Yours,

apt763
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by apt763 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi, something has chnaged in that the next time I tried uploading it did work.

Thanks for all the postings.

johnnieoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnnieoo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 pm

I continue to get the same error as apt763 despite trying several times to load a template. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
Johnnie

apt763
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by apt763 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:58 am

johnnieoo wrote:I continue to get the same error as apt763 despite trying several times to load a template. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
Johnnie
Just a thought -- could it be a firewall issue?

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecweb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am

I have a feeling it could be related to the warning I get in Joomla 1.6 that my php ini temp directory has not been set. (do you guys have this too? see 'extensions' - 'extensions manager' - 'warnings')
See this post for more info about this error - maybe this is what is hindering us from installing templates (but no resolution yet!) http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2407418

If any of you come across a solution, please let the rest of us know!
Yours,

matinice
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by matinice » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 pm

i think it is a problem of installing Templates for Joomla! 1.6

meedi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by meedi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Yes U R Right, it is only happens in Joomla! 1.6, as i've early mentioned in old versions, its a breeze, may be it is some kind of bug of it or some other issues or may be old templates are not compatible with new 1.6....

johnnieoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnnieoo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pm

I've installed the EXACT same template (made with Atristeer 2.6) in 1.5 on a different server without issue. It appears to be a 1.6 or server issue for me, I just cant seem to figure out which.

Johnnie

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecweb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm

meedi wrote:Yes U R Right, it is only happens in Joomla! 1.6, as i've early mentioned in old versions, its a breeze, may be it is some kind of bug of it or some other issues or may be old templates are not compatible with new 1.6....
It's not to do with templates being incompatible - it seems to happen to every 1.6 template I try to install.
Installing 1.5 templates on 1.5 works as a breeze for me to, so my guess is that it is a server setting that is clashing with Joomla 1.6 template installation.
Yours,

paskapoo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by paskapoo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 am

Im new to joomla, i bought the official joomla book, have watched a tonne of videos and think im doing evetrything right.

When i upload the .zip file with the extension manager in 1.6 it does not give me a message of any kind, no error message, no successful installation message and i cant seem to find the files anywhere,

They are not loading to the template manager....

im not even sure if they are installing...

Not sure what to do..

If it helps the template is by joomlart and it is the ja_purity_ii_1.6 template

Thanks in advance for any help!

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am

I am getting the same Bad Response, Unable to load... error on 90% of the 1.6 templates I've tried to install, or else I can get the template installed, but then it loses all it's css formatting when activated.

In Joomla 1.6, you can't just manually upload an unzipped template and activate it. You have to upload the files, then go to Extensions->Extension Manager and click on the Discover text link in the top menu bar. Then on the next screen another Discover link will appear at the top right next to a blue arrow. Click that Discover link. It should then find your manually uploaded template file and install it. You can then go to Extensions->Template Manager and put a check mark in front of it's name, then click Default to make it default or assign it to whatever pages you like.

However, for me half the time the Discover tool says it can't find the template folder I just uploaded, altho it is indeed in the templates directory and I can see it with my ftp program. I read somewhere that some people are having issues with Joomla changing the template name to lower case letters instead of retaining any capital letters, and if you change them back to the right capitalization, it will work.

However, in my case, my files are retaining the right capitalization, but it still doesnt find them with the Discover button at least half the time. So far out of about 20 templates I've tried, I've only gotten two to install AND display as expected, that didn't ship with the 1.6 Stable installation, and I had to do those with a manual install and the Discover button.

I can manually Insert a template with phpMyAdmin and it is there and I can select it, but then I don't know what to put in the Paramaters field, which again makes it lose some of it's formatting.

I'm on a dedicated server running Apache at one of the top web hosting companies.

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecweb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:38 am

yes, same here. The only solution seems to be to upload the unzipped template and 'discover' it.
I hope a better solution comes along soon.
Yours,

sat11111
I've been banned!

Post by sat11111 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 am

The problem is with templates, I've tried a variety of things:

1) I've entered Administration - Extensions - Extension Manager - Upload Package File and attempted to upload the Zip file from my Hard Drive (Template which specifies it is for Joomla 1.6) and I get the following error:

JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning: Failed to move file!

2) I've unzipped the Template package and placed the files in the tmp directory and attempted the 'Install From Directory' option and entered the correct path to the unzipped files. I get the following error:

Please enter a package directory

Thetjo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Thetjo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

aaanativearts wrote:So far out of about 20 templates I've tried, I've only gotten two to install AND display as expected, that didn't ship with the 1.6 Stable installation, and I had to do those with a manual install and the Discover button.
What made these templates different from the other 18? You might want to check the templateDetails.xml to see if everything was coded correctly there? Are there any differences in the templateDetails.xml file when you compare the working 2 with the other 18? Are you sure all these 20 templates were Joomla 1.6 native templates?
http://www.conversionreview.com/ - Start improving your conversion rate with an expert review

ecweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecweb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 am

PROBLEM SOLVED!

1. Create a php.ini file in the root folder of your Joomla web site
2. Add your temp directory to it. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

upload_tmp_dir = /home/accontname/public_html/tmp

3. Add a line to your .htaccess file telling your site to use the php.ini file. Add this line

Code: Select all

SetEnv PHPRC /home/accountname/public_html
Now try to upload your templates and it should work ok!
Yours,

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”