Same Alias Errors

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
anbu-red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Same Alias Errors

Post by anbu-red » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Im getting both of these errors which have problems with the alias

-Save failed with the following error: Another article from this category has the same alias

-Save failed with the following error: Another menu item has the same alias in Root. Root is the top level parent

has anyone got this problem in 1.6.1? it said it was fixed but im still getting this error

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Same Alias Errors

Post by DC_Navan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm

me too mate!

for one joyous day I was able to edit articles via the front end but now this error appears when ever I try and save an edited version of the article via frontend!!! :'(

anbu-red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anbu-red » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

anbu-red wrote:Im getting both of these errors which have problems with the alias

-Save failed with the following error: Another article from this category has the same alias

-Save failed with the following error: Another menu item has the same alias in Root. Root is the top level parent

has anyone got this problem in 1.6.1? it said it was fixed but im still getting this error

I fixed the second one, its just a matter of picking same alias instead(towards the bottom right as 1 of 3 options) of picking single article(which I was doing).

The First 1 tho, i just had to go into the database and just delete that altogether and then just recreate it

DisasterArea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DisasterArea » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I get the Error "Another menu item has the same alias" when I create a new Menu or alter the alias of a existing menu item. In my case, it is the alias of a menu item i created before but put in the recycle bin afterwards. This old alias still seems to be reserved so that it could not be reused.

Does someone have any idea on how to fully delete this old alias entry or how to reactivate that deleted menu to reconfigure it?

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi guys!

To all those who are getting this error:

Have you tried using the default Joomla template and testing to see if the error is still occuring?

If not, then there are some files you can replace in your template to get it working for you.

Test and get back to us here to let us know how it went for you!

:pop

DisasterArea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DisasterArea » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Hello DC_Navan,

in my case it happened when using the default template of the adminstrator page, nothing special.

To "solve" the problem I have taken a look into the database (my ISP has established phpmyadmin) and saw that in the "dbprefix"_menu Table there still was an entry with the old alias. So putting the old menu in the recycle bin did not delete the entry in the table.
I do not know if this is right or wrong because I do not know the programming concept exactly. To me it makes sense to delete the entry in the table because there is no way in Joomla to reactivate a menu that is in the recycle bin.

So I deleted the old entry using phpmyadmin. But as I would say to readers of this posting, don't do that in a production environment unless you have backed up your database before or have taken a snapshot of that menu table.

So what is the solution for reactivating an old alias or to fully delete it?

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Ah I see now mate! :D

I had this problem too until I realised I had'nt really deleted the file!

When you put something into the trash its like the one on the computer,
you still need to empty the trash to be able to use that alias name again!

Select trash from the drop down menu and then select the tick box for the items you want gone forever, then press delete!

I'll try find a video so as to be more helpful....

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Got one! 8)

http://vimeo.com/12041437

Let me know if this solves it for you buddy!

DisasterArea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DisasterArea » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Hallo DC_Navan,

ooh, great, that helps a lot. I hope my deletes in the "_menu" Table via phpmyadmin didn't destroy the recycle bin. I must have been blind so that I didn't saw this filter.

That reminds me of a saying, IT people use in germany. They would say, in this case, I was a DAU. DAU is a german acronym or a german/english acronym saying "Dümmster Anzunehmender User" that means, word by word translated, "silliest assumable user".
DAU itself is an allusion to the german acronym GAU. This acronym is used in context of atomic power plants and means "greatest assumable accident".

I love DAU, because they are humanly, and I hate GAU, because it's humanly as well. So lets hope that japan has excellent technicians to avoid a GAU in the magnitude of Tchernobyl.

Thanks for your advice using Joomla.

Regards.

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi DisasterArea!

Here's an acronym for you: LOL! :laugh:
Hahaha! :D

Thanks for that enlighting bit of information!

Glad you got it to work in the end and don't worry that your blind mate, I did'nt see it either! :eek:

foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by foXXXi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 am

thank you thank you thank you!!!
this video helped me like you have no idea!! :)
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs
Website Designer, Graphic Designer
http://www.creative-designs.co.za

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 am

foXXXi wrote:thank you thank you thank you!!!
this video helped me like you have no idea!! :)

Hahahahaha! Well im glad to hear that! :laugh:

anonymoose
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by anonymoose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 am

Aren't they ever going to get this fixed??? Whether it is regarded as a bug or not, few things seem to have given Joomla users as much grief (including me) as this issue. :(

I am up against it again. Saving as an article alias does not work, and I do not want to trash the article then empty the trash, and I do not want to hack the database. Does anyone have a GOOD solution to this error message?
"Save failed with the following error: Another menu item has the same alias in Root. Root is the top level parent"

P.S. I cannot find another menu item with the same alias.

anonymoose
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by anonymoose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am

Putting a different alias than the one assigned by default is a simple solution that allows saving of the menu item, but one should not need to do this, and they should get it fixed.

foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by foXXXi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 pm

What I eventually noticed was that articles or categories or menu items pertaining to this error had been deleted, but they hadn't been removed completely from the trash.
Once I removed them from the trash, it worked 100% - no problems :)
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs

anonymoose
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by anonymoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 am

Without better knowledge of what I'm doing "emptying the trash" scares me. The trash should work properly in that things that are trashed should really be trashed as far as the system is concerned, and the backup copy exists for no other purpose than to undo mistakes. Having to "empty the trash" in order to actually trash something totally defeats the purpose of this system. If thing aren't actually trashed when you trash something and it is necessary to empty the trash for something to actually be trashed, why have the meaningless first step?

foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by foXXXi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 am

Lol.. I hear you.. totally..
i'm just letting you know what worked.

In my case, I knew which menu name and article name the errors were coming from, I went into the trash.. double checked that I was happy with what was being deleted and WHOOSH.. I trashed them..
What I found though, was that those were OLD articles/menu items that I trashed ages ago, that were not deleted/trashed from my old Joomla site.. So process of elimination - If I haven't used those items since the beginning of 2010 (and didn't even know they existed), i'm pretty sure I don't need them any longer :)
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am

anonymoose wrote:Without better knowledge of what I'm doing "emptying the trash" scares me. The trash should work properly in that things that are trashed should really be trashed as far as the system is concerned, and the backup copy exists for no other purpose than to undo mistakes. Having to "empty the trash" in order to actually trash something totally defeats the purpose of this system. If thing aren't actually trashed when you trash something and it is necessary to empty the trash for something to actually be trashed, why have the meaningless first step?

It's not meaningless mate!
Take your MAC or Windows operating system....
Notice the trash icon/recycle bin on your desktop?
Notice how even after you delete something you still need to "empty the trash" to free up disk space?
It's a safety measure that stops a user permanently deleting something by accident in one step and assumes the user intends deletion if they carried out step 2 of the process.

I hope Joomla never remove it!

But perhaps to make it easier for some users, they should have a trash icon on the menu bar.

What do you think?

anonymoose
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by anonymoose » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:45 am

I understand and agree completely that there should be a means of restoring accidently trashed articles.
My point however, is that the current system for doing this is self-defeating. It forces people to "empty the trash" thereby removing this safeguard, in order to have the system recognize that the the article is no longer there. For example, people are forced to eliminate this backup copy in order to overcome the "same alias" error. Think about it.

foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by foXXXi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:20 am

Go to the trash - rename the alias as something else so that your 'new' menu item can be called what it was originally called - this way you can have the best of both worlds.
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs

DC_Navan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DC_Navan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 am

I understand now mate! :D

So you would like to see a feature added that perhaps adds "-trashed" to the end of alias's automatically when they are popped into the bin so as to avoid getting a duplicate alias error while still maintaining a backup in case you change your mind about the trashed item?

Sounds like a good idea! 8)

DisasterArea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DisasterArea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm

The Idea is good, but technical it has to be implemented different from that.

If you programatical add something to the alias string, you may have problems with the data length constraint in the underlying mysql table and application. Like we know from data normalisation and entity-relationship diagramms, best is to add a flag (trash, TRUE or FALSE) to the underlying table and add this flag to the primary key. Of course, all sql statements using that table have to be recoded. Who will code, test and document this?

retoman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by retoman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:38 pm

The Idea is good

Deonna
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Deonna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:58 am

Hi --

Getting this error:
Save failed with the following error: Another menu item with the same parent has this alias.

Im a newbie. To get familiar, playing around with the Default Template -- have searched thru all the Menu Items that would have the same alias and CANNOT find... ie tried to add Menu Item: Animals with alias 'animals'. The parent is Menu Item Root.

cimorrison
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cimorrison » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I get this error ("Save failed with the following error: Another article from this category has the same alias") too, when saving an article from the front end. However it depends on the template - if I use atomic, there's no problem. If I use beez5 then I get the problem (well - I have to apply the fix in http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5&start=30 first before I get that far).

However the problem is that I want to use beez5 and not atomic. Any solution?

Campbell

cimorrison
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cimorrison » Fri May 06, 2011 8:24 am

I've found the problem. It was my fault. I discovered that in updating to the latest version of Joomla I had failed to delete the directory templates/beez5/html/com_content/form which is no longer part of the distribution (and the fix in viewtopic.php?f=616&t=596935&start=30 is now redundant).

Campbell

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by stuffdone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 pm

What trash...where? I did not delete anything I merely tried to place an article on a menu and get this error.

How soon can we expect this bug fix? I just installed V.7 for a customer and now we are both lost as to how to use it due to problems. I am reverting back to 1.5 as it works all the time with none of these errors.

My customers are not programmers and do not have access the the database so it must function correctly when they are logged in as administrator, not superadmin.
--- http://www.Stuffdone.com ---
Wow. Doing web sites for over 28+ years now. Still learn new tricks...not bad for an old dog

bolevox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bolevox » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm stuck with the same problem, only with creating new contact categories in J!2.5
There is no trash here :'(

kalemanzi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kalemanzi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm

My frustration is this. If I install Jomsocial and Kunena for instance, they create their own menus. Some of the aliases are pretty obvious, like "profile" and "home" that's both found in kunena and jomsocial. I also already had a menu item called home and a profile that used to be CB. Now when I try to copy menu items to different menus, it won't let me because there are duplicate aliases. What's so stupid about this is that if a menu is located in /forum/home.html and the other one is for instance /business-directory/home.html then it still gives an error. This does not make sense to me, because the two items are uniquely identified by item ids. and the urls will always be prepended with the parent categories. If I could do a core hack to get around this, or make some modification it would really save lots of time and hassles.
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Custom web development, extentions, help with migrations, help with hacked websites etc. http://www.kalemanzi.com

vakil123
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vakil123 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Save failed with the following error: Another menu item with the same alias.

Solution for this I found : Just remain in Menu Manager - go to the drop down status- Find Trashed - then delete what you see.

It is solved.. no need to meddle database.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”