SigPlus - thumbnails not loading...

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
KelnKelp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

SigPlus - thumbnails not loading...

Post by KelnKelp » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:44 am

Hey All,

I'm a joomla newbie (surprise) anyways, I've heard good things about the sigplus photo gallery plug in but i'm having trouble making it work properly!

Right now everything seems to be working except that I'm not getting any images. I can see where its trying to load them, but I just see a spinning wheel like its thinking. In my FTP i can see that it created the thumbs and preview folders so it appears to be working. Any ideas as to why they aren't showing up on the actual web page? I haven't changed any settings within the plug in (to my knowledge) so everything should be default.

the page in question is: http://www.kelnkelp.com/photography/test-gallery

klowther
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: SigPlus - thumbnails not loading...

Post by klowther » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:53 am

Hi,

This appears to be a permissions issue. Firebug shows that the browser is getting a 403 Forbidden error on all images in the cache/thumbs directory.

Hope that helps.

- Ken

KelnKelp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by KelnKelp » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks! That does help, in that at least I know what is causing the issue. However I have no idea how to rectify that. Any suggestions?

klowther
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by klowther » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

Hi,

Here is a forum post that explains more about file permissions:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=121470

Hope that helps.

- Ken

KelnKelp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by KelnKelp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks so much! I spoke with the creator and he helped me get it going properly! Hooray for working galleries!

alex0210
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alex0210 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi I am in need of some support with the sigplus module!

http://www.arm-it.co.uk/scotia/index.ph ... s&Itemid=2

I am working on developing a joomla template and require a gallery function, where I was recommended to upload the sigplus module/plug-in for its ease of use! Maybe it is just me but I am struggling a bit with how best to configure it as I cannot display the thumbnails, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have read through the support documentation but to a newbie joomla operator, it is like a different language, please help,anyone?

Thanks in advance

Alex

mrjarvie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrjarvie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm

could the Op please share his solution? I am having the same issue - thumbs/previews have been created but don't load on page (perpetual spinning icons).

Thanks,

Adam

bevco
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bevco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Did you get a solution for this? Mine was working fine until we added a Joomla patch.
Bev
Mt Garfield Software

alex0210
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alex0210 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Bevco,

What problems are you having with this now?

I have managed to get this all working fine, please supply some more details and I will see how I can help!

Alex

A. Joomla fledgling

bevco
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bevco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I am getting the revolving circles - when I click on one, I get the image in the slideshow but it apparently isn't creating the thumbnails. We tried installing an updated version of Sigplus and it won't install - says it can't copy the file, but permissions are all OK.
Bev
Mt Garfield Software

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hunyadi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 am

Should the thumbnails and preview images be created yet the spinning icon is being shown, the issue is most certainly a permissions problem: the web server cannot access the images in the subfolders thumbs and preview inside the cache folder. You can test whether this truly is the case by entering the URL to the preview image directly into your browser. If you get a message like Access forbidden, the web server user account cannot fetch the image. Usually, deleting the folders thumbs and preview and manually re-creating them using your own FTP account helps because it makes sure your personal (FTP) user account becomes the owner of these folders. Once the empty folders are manually created, files created within by sigplus are usually accessible to the web server.

If thumbnails and preview images are not created at all then the user account running Joomla (and hence sigplus) has no permissions to write in those folders (or create the folders as a starter). This happens when Joomla runs under a restricted account rather than personifying your own user account. Even if not a good idea in general, manually re-creating and elevating the permissions on there two folders to 777 should solve the problem because it lets everyone (including the restricted account) to write files in them.

If the installer fails for an extension, there is a high chance that the statement permissions are all OK is terribly wrong. See the sigplus FAQ for a list of what is copied to where:
Upon installation, the Joomla installer copies files in the plg_sigplus.tgz package to the following file system locations:
  • en-GB.plg_content_sigplus.ini is copied to administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_content_sigplus.ini
  • xx-XX.plg_content_sigplus.ini is copied to administrator/language/xx-XX/xx-XX.plg_content_sigplus.ini where xx-XX is the language identifier
  • sigplus.php is copied to plugins/content/sigplus.php
  • sigplus.xml is copied to plugins/content/sigplus.xml
  • the entire contents of the folder sigplus in plg_sigplus.tgz is copied to plugins/content/sigplus
If any of there files cannot be written to, your get the installer fails message. (If you had sigplus previously installed, you might simply overwrite the existing files. Of course, you really should get your system's permissions in shape but as a work-around, manually copying the files helps.)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”