Hide Article title in joomla 1.6

sambath
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hide Article title in joomla 1.6

Post by sambath » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 am

Hi again !

I can't hide article title for joomla 1.6, do u?

Pls help!

អគុណរ

landsmil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Hide Article title in joomla 1.6

Post by landsmil » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 am

I had the same problem for an article title on my Home page. I had to go to the menu item "Home" and hide the "Show Title" in the options. Hope this helps.

sambath
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sambath » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 am

That great thank u!!!!!!

amfischer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by amfischer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 am

I can't hide it either. I am using the latest stable 1.6 downloaded this morning.

I added an article to the home page of the site (By adding a menu item to point to a single article and declaring that as the home page, as I've been doing up to now on other sites).

The article title shows up, even though I've hidden it in the menu item options, in the article options, and in the global article options (set all to "Hide" the title). How can I get rid of the title without actually hacking my template code?

sambath
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sambath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 am

You can go to menu item that display your article. Ex: Menu->Main Menu->Home then go to Article option. HOPE will help you!!!!!

all rise
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by all rise » Sun May 01, 2011 2:32 am

or you can edit this article and set the params Show Title to off!

I'm Thy from Vietnam forum how can i'm typing Khmer ?

all rise
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by all rise » Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 am

Thank you, let me try!

tim_e
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tim_e » Fri May 27, 2011 3:32 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is relevant, but it may help.

I used jUpgrade to migrate my Joomla 1.5.22 site to Joomla 1.6.3. Most of the site was successfully migrated, however I noticed that H1 tags were automatically getting inserted at the top of the article content block in each of my article pages.

All the settings relating to displaying page titles (global, article, menu) were set to hidden but the H1 still appeared above my article (start of the template region for page content). However, i noticed that if I changed my article title the text in the H1 did not get updated but instead matched the current menu item title. So I assumed from this that the menu item title was what was actually being displayed inside the H1.

To verify this, I went into the Menu Manager and edited one of the Main Menu item titles and, after clearing Joomla's page cache (don't forget this step), I refreshed my equivalent article page, and hey presto, the H1 dissappeared. How bizzare!

Then to verify I wasn't going nuts, I went to another menu item in the Menu Manager, and rather than edit any properties of the menu item, I simply just clicked 'Save and Close'. Then went to the equivalent front end article page, and again, the H1 had now dissappeared.

I can only assume that this is a bug in Joomla 1.6.3 when migrating from 1.5 (or perhaps it even occurs without migrating?). I assume that each menu item's database record needs to have an update performed on it before the global/article/menu setting will actually be recognised.

Cheers.

infocom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by infocom » Sun May 29, 2011 12:36 pm

I am a bit confused about this... seems you have to turn off the title in a couple of places??

Menu Item -> Article Options -> Show Title
Article -> Show Title

In Joomla 1.5 I could just set Article -> Show Title as Hide and it hides the Title. This is useful when entering your own page heading.

But in Joomla 1.6 it is not hidden, it seems I have to also set Menu Item -> Article Options -> Show Title to Hide also??

I don't understand why this is, does anyone know?

If this is true I would like to set the Global option for the Menu item to off (because its chosen Global which is On) but set the Global option for Articles as On. But I cant find any Options for the Menu items, only the Articles.

infocom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by infocom » Sun May 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Actually it seems Article -> Show Title has no effect?? I switch it to Show or Hide, but it only Shows or Hides the Title depending on what I choose in the Menu Item.

This is quite bad. Its confusing. Maybe it means all other Article parameters dont work and are controlled in the Menu Item?

all rise
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by all rise » Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 am

infocom wrote:Actually it seems Article -> Show Title has no effect?? I switch it to Show or Hide, but it only Shows or Hides the Title depending on what I choose in the Menu Item.

This is quite bad. Its confusing. Maybe it means all other Article parameters dont work and are controlled in the Menu Item?
Pls going to article and set parameter for this article! Dont using global config and menu config! Its impossible!

eskwire
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eskwire » Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I have the same results
Menu Show Title | Article Show Title = Result
Show Show Show
Show Hide Show
Hide Show Hide
Hide Hide Hide

So you can see that when an article has a menu link the menu show title will completely override the article show title variable.

Is this by correct? Is this by design?

infocom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by infocom » Tue May 31, 2011 9:45 pm

tim_e
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tim_e » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

Hey guys,

Sorry if i've confused everyone. I thought i'd explained it well. Anyway, I had a single article displaying on each page of my site and the H1 title that was showing up magically on each page was actually the title (name) of each menu item.

If you are getting a title 'magically' displaying on your page, first work out whether it is the title of your menu item or whether it's actually the title of your article. Obviously you can test this by changing the menu item name of the relevant page in the admin and see whether the magic title displayed changes on the front end. If it doesn't change, then i'd say it's the article title being displayed, and that is different to what was happening in my situation.

Cheers.

Canguingo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Canguingo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:04 pm

tim_e wrote:Hi,

I used jUpgrade to migrate my Joomla 1.5.22 site to Joomla 1.6.3. Most of the site was successfully migrated, however I noticed that H1 tags were automatically getting inserted at the top of the article content block in each of my article pages.

All the settings relating to displaying page titles (global, article, menu) were set to hidden but the H1 still appeared above my article (start of the template region for page content). However, i noticed that if I changed my article title the text in the H1 did not get updated but instead matched the current menu item title. So I assumed from this that the menu item title was what was actually being displayed inside the H1.

To verify this, I went into the Menu Manager and edited one of the Main Menu item titles and, after clearing Joomla's page cache (don't forget this step), I refreshed my equivalent article page, and hey presto, the H1 dissappeared. How bizzare!

Then to verify I wasn't going nuts, I went to another menu item in the Menu Manager, and rather than edit any properties of the menu item, I simply just clicked 'Save and Close'. Then went to the equivalent front end article page, and again, the H1 had now dissappeared.

I can only assume that this is a bug in Joomla 1.6.3 when migrating from 1.5 (or perhaps it even occurs without migrating?). I assume that each menu item's database record needs to have an update performed on it before the global/article/menu setting will actually be recognised.

Cheers.
Hallo, I have the same problem. Only I have an article wich is not linked to any menu. Just because it is my about us, temrs of use and privacy statements etc on the footer. I just created a custom html module and place there the links to these articles.

Then when I click on the link I get the page with a title "Articles" between h1 tags. I did clean cache but no succes..

any suggestions?

PeteUK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PeteUK » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi,
I also have the problem in Joomla 1.6. of a title "Articles" between h1 tags showing which I am unable to hide through using parameters.

The situation I have is a custom html module in which there is a hyperlink to my article. As per Canguingo above, when I click the link my article appears with the title "Articles". I don't have the problem if i use a menu item for the linked article, but I don't believe I should have to and would prefer not to.

Here's the html via firebug: (note the <h1 tag)

Code: Select all

<div id="tx-main">
<div class="tx-container">
<div class="tx-main-inner">
<div id="tx-mainbody" style="width: 70%">
<div class="tx-content">
<div class="tx-blog ">
<h1 class="title"> Articles </h1>
<div class="category-desc">
How can we stop this "articles" title showing without using a menu item?

thanks

AHennings
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AHennings » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Cheers.
Same problem here. I used SP Update to do my migration. It seems like if there is no value for the Show Page Heading option saved in the database, then it defaults to Yes. All that is required to fix it for a menu item is to open and save it with the No option selected.

Unfortunately, I have nearly a thousand menu items. My quick fix was to edit the HTML Override to remove the piece of template that displays the Page Heading between H1 tags.

A better fix might be to come up with a SQL script to run through all menu items to set the option properly.

warpspeed
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by warpspeed » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Hey infocom,
I was having trouble hiding the title on the frontpage. in Joomla 1.7

In Article -> SET Hide Title
In Menu Item -> Article options -> 1. Show Title, 2. Hide Title, 3.Use Article settings.

The menu item setting, as a default, overrides the article setting.
Setting "use article settings" disables this override.

Hope this helps.

I HATE >:( smilies.

eteich
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eteich » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I had an issue like this and found that even though I disabled the title in the article and through the article options, that in the Menu Manger for that particular page item, it was had it enabled.

jenz_iggo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jenz_iggo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:31 am

Hi warpspeed,

thanks!! :D

Works perfectly in Joomla 1.7, now the article title in the main page is hidden!

etimespi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by etimespi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Leaving Article/ArticleOptions/ShowTitle at the default (UseGlobal=No in my case) and adjusting Menu/PageDisplayOptions/ShowPageHeading to No also works.

alirm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alirm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 pm

PeteUK wrote:Hi,
I also have the problem in Joomla 1.6. of a title "Articles" between h1 tags showing which I am unable to hide through using parameters.

The situation I have is a custom html module in which there is a hyperlink to my article. As per Canguingo above, when I click the link my article appears with the title "Articles". I don't have the problem if i use a menu item for the linked article, but I don't believe I should have to and would prefer not to.

<div id="tx-main">
<div class="tx-content">
<div class="tx-blog ">

thanks
When you published an article and you don't link it to any menu then automatically "Articles"title appear in your pages.
Simply goto :Language folder under joomla installation path->en-GB->en-GB.ini : probably line 137 where it says:
JGLOBAL_ARTICLES="ARTICLES"... Change it to JGLOBAL_ARTICLES="" . Done
If you refresh your pages then you can not see "Articles" word any more.

abqdavid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abqdavid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Make sure you also check here:

CONTENT / ARTICLE MANAGER / Now look on the upper right hand side.
Click on "OPTIONS", then set the parameters for your Global Configuration.

See attached Image... Ron Paul 2012!!!
(Cast your vote with your heart, not CNN or Fox!)
Parameters.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

abqdavid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abqdavid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:18 am

alirm wrote:
PeteUK wrote:Hi,

<div id="tx-main">
<div class="tx-content">
<div class="tx-blog ">

thanks
When you published an article and you don't link it to any menu then automatically "Articles"title appear in your pages.
Simply goto :Language folder under joomla installation path->en-GB->en-GB.ini : probably line 137 where it says:
JGLOBAL_ARTICLES="ARTICLES"... Change it to JGLOBAL_ARTICLES="" . Done
If you refresh your pages then you can not see "Articles" word any more.
This leaves the line showing beneath where the text "Articles" was once at. To remove this go to your TEMPLATES / CSS / Personal.css and edit Line 708 to read like this

border-bottom:solid 0px #ddd;.
This will remove the line.

vuperda
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vuperda » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm

No, on my j1.7.2 install none of this you suggest didn't work, I just added css line into my template css to hide it :

.item-page h1 {
	display: none;
	visibility: hidden;
}
I really can't figure out how and why is this appearing, regular user disabling item menu and article options should be able hide it, but for some reasons on links that are crossed linked to another article that's not into main menu it don't work. Also don't' work with sef urls with artiosef or some other tools, to bad...

syamson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by syamson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I've just upgraded my Joomla 1.5 site to Joomla 1.7 and I'm also facing the same problems.

Driving me nuts needing to Edit-and-Save every single article that has been affected by this :'(

Cheers.

karlcallus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by karlcallus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 pm

vuperda wrote:No, on my j1.7.2 install none of this you suggest didn't work, I just added css line into my template css to hide it :

.item-page h1 {
}
I really can't figure out how and why is this appearing, regular user disabling item menu and article options should be able hide it, but for some reasons on links that are crossed linked to another article that's not into main menu it don't work. Also don't' work with sef urls with artiosef or some other tools, to bad...
After reading Vuperda's comment I checked my layout.css and made the following changes. It worked for me using blog view or featured blog. Will not work if your main page is displayed in any other manner.
The entry were already there so all I had to add was: display: none;

#main .blog-featured h1,
#main .blog h1
{
}
I use the Beez5 template together with Joomla 1.7

jdmcclain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmcclain » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

A bug like this so late in the game is very frustrating. I am experiencing this behavior on all articles site-wide. And no, none of the joomla solutions mentioned work to solve it.

After reading verpuda and karlcallus's comments, this mod worked for me in my yootheme template in "custom.css" file:

///

h1.title {
}

///
--
Joomla 3.1 | jason.the.mcclain™ | http://evolve-co.com

KKeys
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KKeys » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 am

I did not migrate my site - I am building a new site from scratch in 1.7
I have article titles appearing sitewide.
Is there no answer beside hacking/ modifying the core Joomla code somewhere?

I have tried:
article Manager-properties - show Title: Hide
article Manager - Global Properties - Show Title: Hide
Menu item Manager: Article Options - Show Title: Hide

Thankfully the Menu item manager-Page Display Options - Show Page Heading - NO does indeed remove my menu item title. But the article titles are still there.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
KKeys

karlcallus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by karlcallus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:55 pm

karlcallus wrote:
vuperda wrote:No, on my j1.7.2 install none of this you suggest didn't work, I just added css line into my template css to hide it :

.item-page h1 {
}
After reading Vuperda's comment I checked my layout.css and made the following changes. It worked for me using blog view or featured blog. Will not work if your main page is displayed in any other manner.
The entry were already there so all I had to add was: display: none;

#main .blog-featured h1,
#main .blog h1
{
}
I use the Beez5 template together with Joomla 1.7
Still elaborating on Vuperda's comment one can us the following code:

#main h1
{
  display: none !important;
  visibility: hidden !important;      

}
Like this all h1 titles under "#main" will disappear. Be careful as this will effect things like search results etc. Works ok for me so far. This is surely a Joomla bug that should go addressed. A hint: try using Firebug to analyse your code and see how your titles are being structured.

Return to “Khmer Forum”