Social Network Hub

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
compcarp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Social Network Hub

Post by compcarp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I would pay money for a Social Network "Hub" Component / Module combo that collected and displayed:

User Info (tied into Joomla Users)
Photo
Brief Description
Contact Info
Social Network Title & Links: (maybe pulls icon?)
Personal Website
Twitter
LinkIn
Facebook
Google+ (looking ahead)
MySpace
Blog
[youtube]

Maybe adding Categories for Personal, Political, Education, Business, etc..
And allows visitors to search all those perimeters with keywords.

I've never seen one that does all the above. Is anyone working on this? Would anyone take such a project for me?

219jondn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Social Network Hub

Post by 219jondn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Try Community Builder. They offer most of those features (user info, photo, description, contact info, website) in their core free package.
Professional members also get access to some of their brand new stuff like integrating facebook, twitter, friendconnect feeds and profile/event information from social networks.
Can also add and segment extra text fields (or any kind of field for that matter) for information specifically relevant to your site.

Hope that helps!
Respectfully,
Jon Neubauer
Tweet at me @219jondn

compcarp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by compcarp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I'll look at it again. I had implemented it on another site a year or so ago, but wasn't impressed. I'm using JomSocial, but it seems bloated for my purposes. It's also VERY prone to spammers, no matter how many captchas I use.

219jondn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by 219jondn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 pm

ya, try CB again - they've got some cool new stuff, and, from what I hear, their CB 2.0 version which is slated to come out in the near future will be a lot cooler :)
Respectfully,
Jon Neubauer
Tweet at me @219jondn

IkramMirza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IkramMirza » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 am

We can say it Chain Network. I am interested but please explain it right.It seems incomplete.

claramolee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by claramolee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 am

you can maintain this as a better challenge..social media is the best way to improve your brands..thats anything if personal sites also...!!!

compcarp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by compcarp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:30 am

I'm sorry I haven't responded, but it has taken a while to solidify in my mind what I'm really wanting.

I want to have a component that is part Social Hub and part Link aggregator.

User BOB signs up and adds his contact info:
Name, Username, Contact Info (Optional), and Social Web Links he has:
Twitter (he can categorize this as Personal, Business, Religious, Political, Cause, Just For Fun, etc.)
Facebook (he can categorize this as Personal, Business, Religious, Political, Cause, Just For Fun, etc.)
LinkedIn, [red dit], mySpace, Google+, deviantART, LiveJournal, Blogger, etc..

NOTE: Perhaps he has more than one Twitter, Facebook, etc. account - he should be able to add multiples. Also, if a category does not exist they can create one (ie Wood Working, Sewing, etc) and it would be come an available option after that.

Obviously we need to able to use captcha to try to filter out spam as much as possible. Admin needs to be able to remove posts.

User Sarah visits my site and would like to find likeminded people. She could be able to search this component by SITE (facebook, twitter, etc) and/or by CATEGORY (Personal, business, religious, political, hobby, etc.)

Additionally, since my site is specifically regional in nature, I would like the registration part to include language as to whether or not they are from this state and if so, what county (drop down). Checking no does not ban them from posting their pages, but it does become a checkbox when someone is searching.

Does this help? I guess I'm trying to move my site away from replacing Facebook or other social network sites, but becoming a hub for visitors to be able to share and connect.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”