Change domain name of existing site

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mherrera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Change domain name of existing site

Post by mherrera » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:08 pm

I am building a website for domain thekansasfoodie.com. I also have the domain kansasfoodie.com and I realize that I need to remove the "the" and use the domain kansasfodie. I have spent some time building and am wondering if it is possible to switch the existing domain thekansasfoodie to the domain kansasfoodie without having to entirely start from scratch?

I don't need to change the db names so the current database can be used, however, it is likely that there are entries in there that might refer to the old domain.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. I am putting all work on hold until I find out what direction I need to go to get this changed or make the decision to just start over.

Mike

cmsj
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Change domain name of existing site

Post by cmsj » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:03 pm

mherrera wrote:I have spent some time building and am wondering if it is possible to switch the existing domain thekansasfoodie to the domain kansasfoodie without having to entirely start from scratch?
Use a back-up extension (e.g. Akeeba Backup) to do the following (it's quite straight forward):

1. Back up the old domain name website (with Akeeba Backup).
2. Install Joomla on the new domain website (from Joomla.org).
3. Restore the old domain website onto the new domain website. (with Akeeba Backup).

This way you keep everything intact.

mherrera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mherrera » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote="cmsj
Use a back-up extension (e.g. Akeeba Backup) to do the following (it's quite straight forward):

1. Back up the old domain name website (with Akeeba Backup).
2. Install Joomla on the new domain website (from Joomla.org).
3. Restore the old domain website onto the new domain website. (with Akeeba Backup).

This way you keep everything intact.[/quote]

Thank you for the info. I use Akeeba on other sites but I thought that if I put up a new instance of Joomla and then restored the old backup that it would restore the site with the old domain name intact.

Can I do that and then just go into the Joomla global admin area and change the domain name in there and have it really be that easy? Wouldn't I have to go into the config files inside the Akeeba backup and make the domain name changes in there?

Mike

cmsj
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by cmsj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:57 pm

I have used Akeeba to install one website to another (both with different domain names). Akeeba allows you to input the new domain name etc.

mherrera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mherrera » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:46 pm

cmsj wrote:I have used Akeeba to install one website to another (both with different domain names). Akeeba allows you to input the new domain name etc.
Ok, that's what I'll do. Thank you so much for the information and help!

Mike

Return to “Administration 1.5”