Move Your Site to Another Server

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jimmymourra
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Move Your Site to Another Server

Post by jimmymourra » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm

redlens wrote:It's really quite simple - but one screwy action will make your life difficult.  This little tutorial is for Non-Technical people (beginners) - Geeks can use it too.

Here's how I do my Joomla! moves - and it works everytime:

1. Dump the original Joomla MySQL Database
  • Go into your Web Hosting Control Panel and Locate the MySQL Database that your Joomla! installation is using
  • There should be a link for PHPMyAdmin that will take you to your Database Administration
  • Once in PHPMyAdmin select the Joomla! database and open it up so that ALL of the tables are displayed
  • With all the tables displayed press the button labeled EXPORT (located on the topmost horizontal menu)
  • In the 'EXPORT' selection box SELECT ALL of the tables (hold the SHIFT key to select multiple items in the list] - Do NOT mess with any of the settings and checkboxes, leave everything as is
  • Go to the Bottom of the page and hit the 'GO' Button - this will bring up the database's code in the SQL language - THIS IS THE DUMP
  • Copy and Paste the contents of the 'DUMP' into Notepad or minimize that browser window, since you will need to copy and paste that dump into the new database.
2. Install Joomla! on your new server
  • Simply...Install Joomla! on your new server
  • This involves creating a new database and database username - don't worry about the names, just choose anything you like
  • Choose NOT to install SAMPLE DATA -- you don't need any data right? Cause you have your own, old, data...right?
3. Import the Old Database Dump into the New Database
  • Now go into your control panel for the new web site
  • Locate the MySQL database that the new Joomla! installation is using and then go the PHPMyAdmin page for that database
  • Now select the new database and make sure there is NOTHING in the database - if there is anything in the database then you will see a listing of the tables inside the database appear on the page (You have to Select all of them and choose DROP from the drop down selection list) - You will know the database is empty when no tables show up on the database's PHPMyAdmin page.
  • Click on the button labeled 'SQL' on the topmost horizontal navigation bar - this will bring up an Empty Text Box labeled "Run SQL query/queries on database"
  • Now Copy and Paste the original database DUMP into this Text Box (this is the content you pasted into notepad or left in a minimized browser window)
  • Finally, Hit the 'GO' button - you will now see that your content as been added to the database and a huge list of tables appear in the database structure
4. Completing the Move...
  • You now have to 'OVERWRITE' all of the essential Joomla! folders that site on the new site with the folders from the old site - this will add all of the stuff you've customized like Components & Modules you've installed, Templates and files you've edited, etc...
  • These are the ESSENTIAL FOLDERS to Copy over (and OVERWRITE)
    • administrator
      components
      editor
      help
      images
      includes
      language
      mambots
      media
      modules
      templates
5. Everything is DONE and DUMPED! Troubleshooting...
  • That's it...Mission Accomplished.
  • If you have a new domain name (as opposed to keeping the old domain name and simply transferring to another host) and things don't seem to be working properly then all you have to do is edit the CONFIGURATION.PHP file that sits on your Joomla! installation Root.
  • The edits to make on the configuration.php file are simple: Just replace any instance of your Old Domain Name with Your New Domain Name.
  • Make sure that the MySQL version is the same for both websites -- people have had trouble importing SQL dumps because they're using different versions - some webhosts allow you to choose between MySQL 4.0 or 5.0 so be aware

You can contact me if you have any trouble with the process...and I'll help you get it done.
I did all that and i cannot log in to the Joomla! administrator now. This is what I get:

Joomla! Administration Login
JLIB_APPLICATION_ERROR_COMPONENT_NOT_LOADING
Table 'men1102804060961.jos_extensions' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type ='plugin' AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering
Table 'men1102804060961.jos_extensions' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type ='plugin' AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering
Error loading component: com_login, 1
Error loading module Unknown column 'm.publish_up' in 'where clause' SQL=SELECT id, title, module, position, content, showtitle, params, mm.menuid FROM jos_modules AS m LEFT JOIN jos_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id WHERE m.published = 1 AND (m.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_up <= '2011-01-29 16:56:57') AND (m.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_down >= '2011-01-29 16:56:57') AND m.access IN (1) AND m.client_id = 1 AND (mm.menuid = 0 OR mm.menuid <= 0) ORDER BY position, ordering
Use a valid username and password to gain access to the administrator backend.

Go to site home page.

Please help and advise - Many Thanks!!!!

alyciaengel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alyciaengel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:47 am

This tutorial was a lifesaver after many failed attempts at moving my site from my local test server to GoDaddy! I did endless Google searches, contacted GoDaddy customer support...twice, followed more than one tutorial, and finally happened across this one. Worked perfectly! I didn't have a few folders (editor, help, mambots) on the new install of Joomla, or the files I was copying over, but it looks like I don't need them. I'm sure they are from a previous version of Joomla, since this is an older tutorial.

Thanks for the clear, correct instructions for moving a Joomla site!

RC_Roberts
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RC_Roberts » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Can you use this on an XAMPP site? I am attempting to migrate my live site that was built by a website company to a localhost so I can begin to lear how to maintain and use joomla on my localhost site so that I don't crash my real site.

Thanks for your assistance,

Cliff

mdart
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdart » Tue May 10, 2011 4:34 am

Hi I hop you are still able to help I followed your instructions. I am moving my site www.madaboutcomputing.com on Godaddy to www.madaboutcomputing.com.au on Rack servers using Cpanel.
I have an issue where I am not getting the template and links dont work etc as you will see if you go to www.madaboutcomputing.com.au

phantacid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phantacid » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Well this is depressing. I've had to migrate my Joomla 1.6.3 site from the live server version to my local MAMP and it isn't happy. (strange way round but I have a presentation tomorrow and the place hasn't got internet).

The live site is peachy but the MAMP version (migrated to the letter of the original post) is showing a blank page on the front and multipl errors on the admin login page - a snippet as follows:

JLIB_APPLICATION_ERROR_COMPONENT_NOT_LOADING
Table 'norwell_jo151.jos_extensions' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type ='plugin' AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering ...

The set up went fine with the basic installation of Joomla 1.6 . The only thing that was a little odd was that JSON wasn't showing as enabled on MAMP even though i have php 5.2.13 installed (MAMP version 1.9).

The only other potential issue that i can figure is that the site was built on the the live server version of Mysql (5.0.92-community) and that maybe isn't compatible with the local MAMP Mysql version (5.1.44)

Any ideas would be very very welcome. Unfortunately i only have about 18 hours to sort this out so I'm not hopeful.

phantacid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phantacid » Fri May 13, 2011 9:05 am

PLEASE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POST. School boy error ... I was copying the wrong database (what a dick!).

For those interested redlens instructions for migrating works perfectly for me on both 1.5 and 1.6 - both from MAMP to live server and from live server to MAMP

I am now emigrating to Nepal - where i intend to live as a goat.

balams
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by balams » Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 pm

also do not forget to match Joomla disto number
after you have move your site you can perform an update if need it

jrthor2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jrthor2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I have imported my database from my current hosting company to my local xampp configuration. I have copied all files from my main server to my local directory (c:\xampp\htdocs\zion). Now, when I go to my site on my localhost, I get:

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

I have changed the database entries in my configuration.php file, but nothing seems to be helping. Any suggestions to get this working on my local host?

Thanks!

pimeoutreach
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pimeoutreach » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks this worked great. Only one problem. The default root menu works but I have other menus and they don't seem to want to link. The site is pimeusa.org . I can send you login info if you email me.

Giovanni
[email protected]

LilMilyunr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

All kinds of issues...

Post by LilMilyunr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:49 am

Created new database. DROP all tables. Imported DUMP into SQL query window and hit Go. Imported files into designated directories.

Admin page error:
Fatal error: Cannot make static method JApplication::getRouter() non static in class JAdministrator in /home/content/14/8004414/html/administrator/includes/application.php on line 294

Line 294 is nothing but a }.

Home Page errors:

Warning: require_once(/home/content/14/8004414/html/libraries/joomla/utilities/compat/compat.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/14/8004414/html/includes/framework.php on line 67

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/14/8004414/html/libraries/joomla/utilities/compat/compat.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/14/8004414/html/includes/framework.php on line 67

I also has a problem with my framework.php file in admin/includes/ folder. Got an error that it could not locate this file, even though the file "compat.php" is in the directory.
// Include object abstract class
require_once(JPATH_SITE . DS . 'libraries' . DS . 'joomla' . DS . 'utilities' . DS . 'compat' . DS . 'compat.php');

I've read the tutorials, but these errors are just giving me so much trouble. The tutorials are great when everything works. :)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm just trying to help out my sister-in-law get her site back up.

lesleyc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lesleyc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 am

Hi there

I hope someone can help.

We asked our host to duplicate a joomla website for us and copy it into a new folder.All that we changed was the folder name we created the new database uploaded it from the duplicated site and now the problem is when we try login to the backed admin on the joomla site it refreshes back to the website?

We checked folder permissions and .htaccess and config.php files and all is fine there.

Could it be the jsecure plugin? or maybe because it is a multisite?

does anyone have suggestions how we can fix this.

We need a duplicate of the site so we can have the same site but the content will just change on this new site.

Thanks so much

julianne_nz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by julianne_nz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 am

Hi there

I am trying to do this, but in the import the sql to phpmyAdmin, I get this error:
import.php: Missing parameter: import_type (FAQ 2.8)
import.php: Missing parameter: format (FAQ 2.8)

Any solutions please?

FruRosborg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FruRosborg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 am

Hello! Thanks for the tutorial... i have done everyhing as shown and it all seems to be there in the back end but when i choose to view the site it is blank.. and help?
thank you!!

grashoper
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by grashoper » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 am

what about the plugin folder ?

or do i have to install the plugins again ?

megmeyer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by megmeyer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:42 am

I just used this awesome tutorial to move a site from one domain to another on Superb Hosting. It worked like a charm. The first time, it did not work - because I did not look at the configuration.php before copying the 'old' one, and I lost the absolute path to the logs and tmp folders. I deleted everything, and started over. After I installed 1.7.2, I changed the name of the configuration.php, so it did not get copied over. Then I just copy and pasted the relevant info from the old to the new (the secret word thing, and the site name, etc). I left the paths, and the couple of extra lines at the bottom intact - the site is working beautifully.

Thanks so much! This made my life much better!

Meg

Site is www.nediv.org
Old Site is www.nedivtest.com
Eventually, www.nediv.com will also point to this new site.

fitguru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fitguru » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:35 pm

what do you charge for helping someone do this I have all the information downloaded but I'm not expert at this and I want to mess this up waste time doing it probably would take someone half an hour to an hour to finish it off.
[email protected]
403-246-7386

livvving
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by livvving » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

perfect! Only problem I had was I needed to name the MySQL data prefix the same as I used on the old site, which I forgot for a while, then it worked perfectly.

thanks for a great tutorial!

k4kartik
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by k4kartik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Hello,

I had my website running on ipage.com servers but i had to shift it to a cpanel. Backuped my data and the database n uploaded it in the new server. But im getting this error. Please help me. Its really urgent.

#1 JError::raise(1, 500, Application Instantiation Error, , 1) called at [/home/cld/public_html/led/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:252]
#2 JError::raiseError(500, Application Instantiation Error) called at [/home/cld/public_html/led/libraries/joomla/factory.php:50]
#3 JFactory::getApplication() called at [/home/cld/public_html/led/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:721]

Infinite loop detected in JError

livvving
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by livvving » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:00 pm

One problem since moving site to another server - I cannot install extensions or add images to RokGallery - I am told by the extension manager that I don't have uploading allowed - I guess there's a permissions problem somewhere - any idea where and what I would need to change?

In RokGallery, I get this error, which I assume is basically the same thing:
(32.17 KB)An error occured: Rollback failed. There is no active transaction.

Dom2012
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dom2012 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm wondering if the above instructions also apply to sites that are being moved AND upgraded.

Technically, it's not a move. I have a Joomla 1.5 site hosted on a shared server as a subdomain with Anhosting.

I'm recreating (not copying) the site as a Joomla 2.5 site on a shared server (but not as a sub-domain) on Rochen.

I've already built the new Rochen site, but it has none of the database content for components like AcyMailing, JomSocial, JomSocial Profile Types, etc., that are in the Joomla 1.5 site.

I'm hoping the database format is the same for J1.5 and J2.5 and I can just delete the new J2.5 site's existing db content where I need to, and replace it with the J1.5 content. Does this work?

Thanks,
Dom

rocfan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rocfan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:53 am

My first post ever. Just to tell you THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I tried a lot of recipes and read thousands of instructions. Until I found your post (English is not my mother language and probably were looking for the wrong key words)

You saved me hours and hours of hard work. Thank you.

Everyone: just follow this tutorial to the letter an you will save your self a lot of pain.

jumperel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jumperel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

Hello,

I can see that you are very active here and I think you will provide me some help :D.

So my issue is that I have moved my website from one server to another using the steps provided, I have moved the content, import the DB and modify the configuration.php file. But the thing is that when I acces my site I can only see the homepage and after I click one of the links i get the page not found error. But I can acces the administration page corectly.

I mention that I have Joomla 1.0 installed.

Can you provide me some support please?

dead_pixels
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dead_pixels » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

It worked for some but on one, the admin part works fine but the front end shows a 404 page not found :C any help?

julianne_nz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by julianne_nz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 pm

julianne_nz wrote:Hi there

I am trying to do this, but in the import the sql to phpmyAdmin, I get this error:
import.php: Missing parameter: import_type (FAQ 2.8)
import.php: Missing parameter: format (FAQ 2.8)

Any solutions please?
The problem with this was that I did not have enough space on my hosting plan, I just upgraded my plan and tried it according to the method suggested here and it all worked.

I still do the odd very basic joomla 1.5 site for clients, but since they stopped offering upgrades or support and 2.5 is just too darn fancy and difficult to create my own templates to customise for clients plus being another huge learning curve I don't have time for, I mostly do wordpress sites now, using the headway themes which I can customise till my heart is content.

bergerkos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bergerkos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks to the OP author for his HOWTO.
I followed it all, it took some fixes related to the pieces of software I'm using, until it worked OK. But then I "discovered" an even easier way to do it using Akeeba Backup.

Anyway, here's how I moved (actually copied) my web-site from the server where it runs successfully , but which is too slow responding if some mass editing is needed , to my desktop to do all editing here (in effect, moved it to "another host").

1.I Installed XAMPP (recommended) bundle on my desktop (Fedora 17 Linux). A couple of fixes were needed to make it run OK and show the PHPmyadmin window properly and in English (for some reason it defaults to German !!).

2.On my site running under Joomla! I installed Akeeba backup and did full backup of the site. This is under Components --> Akeeba Backup.
(Installing Akeeba Backup is so simple and straightforward that it's not worth explaining here really).

Download the backup and extract it into the folder where your new site is going to reside. With XAMPP it is "/opt/lampp/htdocs/$yoursite", but in any case it is a folder in the web-server's root.

Then you access the extracted backup through the browser window at "http://$yourservername/$yoursite/index.php" (substituting your server name and yoursite folder name where you extracted your backup).

This will open up the page with Akeeba restore instruction and step by step restore your site and database. You'll need, of course, your d_base name, user and password for this stuff to work. These are the values you created following the tutorial in the OP.

One small addition people usually don't consider worth mentioning, but without this trifle the site won't show up and Joomla! won't have permissions to write files. That folder where you extract your backup, everything must be owned by the apache web-server unprivileged user. In Fedora 17 it is user "nobody". On Ubuntu it is user "www-something...". So I had to do

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R nobody:nobody $my-site-folder/*
...Perhaps, when you're moving from one hosting to another, the ownership issue is being resolved by the server itself. But if you're moving to your own machine, then it's another matter. In any case, this is worth mentioning if we're giving people universal instructions...

That's it!

PS: I can see that people still use ancient versions of Joomla!, with which Akeeba Backup may not be working OK. My site is using the latest Joomla!... but anyway, I thought it worth mentioning here. As I noticed, BTW, this Akeeba Backup does about the same thing as this very tutorial posted in the OP.

Agula
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Agula » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I wasn`t able to migrate my site with Akeeba Backup due to some ajax error so I follow all the instructions given by jimmymourra and now what I am getting on my site is only home page, when I try to get into anyother page on that site it shows 404 NOT FOUND.
Also letters that are not in english alphabet are not showing, but some strange signs!??

What did I do wrong?

traypup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by traypup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Thank you for this extremely helpful post. I appreciate it! :)

-Tracey

shenpika
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shenpika » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 pm

please view follwoing [youtube] link

it tells you everything you need know :D :D :D :D :D :D
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=O1NLqCuu8m0

Mackdk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mackdk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 am

Is there a simpel metode to use
I am moving a joomla 3.0 from a subdomain to main domaine

And i have no intention on creating a new DB i have acces to the same DB from the main as i have from sub

How do i do the move in this situation ?

shiv240
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shiv240 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 am

Hello All

We have just moved our site from Dedicated one to VPS. DB is set well. Site is working. But now we are not able to add new K2 items. Nothing happens when we click "New". Really messed up. ???

Help required urgently :(

Thanks in advance.
Shiv

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”