JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file- 1.6.2

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file- 1.6.2

Post by ThomasRH » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Upgrading to 1.6.2 from 1.6.1 I downloaded upgrade zip in Safari. Choose the zip file in Extension Manager Install. Got the above error message. I am nearly a total beginner and not sure what did wrong. Thanks.

jkwebdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file- 1.6.2

Post by jkwebdesign » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm

I tried toupdate joomla with updater and got the same error. I haven't downloaded the package yet because i'm using my mobile but it looks like the upgrade file are missing that file..?
We offer first-rate and versatile Internet, marketing and graphic services..
http://www.jkwebdesign.fi/en/
http://www.facebook.com/jkwebdesignFI

IberoMedia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by IberoMedia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm

I have the same problem.

Getting error message: "JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file"

If there a particular way, other than through extension install, to update Joomla 1.6.1?

Thank you

jkwebdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jkwebdesign » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 pm

I think you just need to ftp files to your joomla root.. remember to backup before an update. There are also guide to update. You can find a link from the download page.
We offer first-rate and versatile Internet, marketing and graphic services..
http://www.jkwebdesign.fi/en/
http://www.facebook.com/jkwebdesignFI

slovenlybetsy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by slovenlybetsy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:05 am

I know you said you were trying to upgrade, but I got the same error when trying to install a JoomlaTemplates template and I wanted to reply in case someone else has my same problem.

To install the template, first I had to unzip the template zip file from the download. In the unzipped template folder there is a Joomla folder with a zip file in it. Yes, a zip file in a zip file. Talk about convoluted. That is the zip file you need to browse for in the Upload Package File field in the Extension Manager. Not the zip file you downloaded, but the zip file in the Joomla folder of the zip file.

The instructions don't mention that. They just say if it doesn't work, look in the forum. Boo.

Actually they say "in the 'Upload package file' section, browse to find the zipped file located in your 'joomla' folder".

This is literally correct, but confusing b/c I thought they meant my Joomla folder in xampp>htdocs>Joomla. but they mean template.zip folder>Joomla

Bub-
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bub- » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Well I can go one better (worse ) I get the above message JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file for everything I try to upload. or cannot recognise archive. My whole work has ground to a halt.
I need to up load ja purity have been trying since yesterday all day. Read nearly every forum I can understand and still no change. I too upgraded from 1.6 to 1.6.3
please some one help I am justed stopped- trying to find a solution as I cant use the other templates supplied at all.

fmexico
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fmexico » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:33 pm

I had same message while I was installing a plugin, I had some issues with my test domain DNS and ftp account wasn't working propertly.

I hope it helps.

Greetings.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 pm

You can't upgrade Joomla using the extension installer. Make a backup of your site, then download this file:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... ackage.zip

and unzip it in your Joomla installation root (the place you installed Joomla).

Then do the same to upgrade to 1.7:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... ackage.zip

Kind regards,
Nick
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:57 am

Edit:
For 1.7 you can follow this manual update route:
http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.6.5_ ... stallation

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

cvoogt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cvoogt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:33 am

I thought the whole point of the new Joomla Update mechanism was to make Joomla upgrades easier. From what I can see, it isn't working, and people are having to manually unzip and upload files as they have always done. I am in the same boat. I'm running 1.6.6 and trying to upgrade with the Extension Manager's Update subtab. It shows 1.7.0. as available, but when I try to update I get;

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file
Install path does not exist

Would be nice to see this upgrade method working properly for Joomla. But .. I may keep on doing FTP because I think I may have more faith in that not missing any files by accident (for example if the extension manager update runs into a problem).

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Issues with the installer are usually server related and not Joomla related. I would check that you have correct permissions on the folders, correct file ownership, and that allow_url_fopen is enabled.

Kind regards,
Nick

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I just installed Joomla 1.7 last night and have no active sites yet. However when I try to upload a new theme I am getting this same error message! Please help... I hate wordpress and need something new!

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Bartel,
Nick Savov wrote:I would check that you have correct permissions on the folders, correct file ownership
Kind regards,
Nick

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info nick! I really have no clue where to even start looking for that, and searching these forums isn't really getting me to the right stage either. I suppose Joomla just isn't great for us beginners! In WP my frustrations really only came about due to the fact that any content changes I made for the templates i bought had to be entirely by code. It seems to me this defeats the purpose of a "CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM" if a end user wanted to change a photo and had to upload it to a folder via FTP. Regardless, not dealing with permissions and at least getting the templates to show up is a plus! Its back to the blogging best for me!

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Bartel,

Joomla is for beginners :) I started about a year ago and I had little to no web experience (other than using the internet of course). As I mentioned earlier in this discussion, those issues are usually server related rather than Joomla related. And when you have a server issue, the easiest way to get it sorted is to ask your host about it. Just ask them to check on the folder/file permissions and on the file ownership. They should be able to get it sorted for you in 5-10 minutes.

Another thing to check on is that you're uploading an actual Joomla install-able file. You said you were uploading a theme (called a template in Joomla). Sometimes template providers zip several packages into one and they ask you to unzip it and install the zipped files that are located within the original file, rather than installing the initial zipped file. Check if your template provider does that and simply follow their instructions.

Joomla really is simple (almost as dead simple as Wordpress is in my opinion) and it's a lot more flexible than wordpress. Don't let this minor issue de-motivate you.

Kind regards,
Nick

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Nick. I really appreciate the help. One other ? Though.... cyclone or hawkeye? :) either way good to communicate with fellow iowans. Again thanks for the help.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 pm

You're welcome! :)

LOL! Neither to tell you the truth (disappointing, I know :p ). I played a lot of sports growing up, but never really watched sports very much. If the Cyclones or Hawkeyes were playing, I hoped they would each win but was never really disappointed if one lost. If they played each other, I rooted more for the Hawkeyes. Yourself?

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Went to u of I :)

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 am

Cool. Well if you ever need Joomla help, you know where you can find me. Feel free to PM me if needed.

Kind regards,
Nick

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:58 am

Nick/anyone who can help!

I talked with my host. My permissions are set up correctly.

You mentioned perhaps my template is not joomla installable.... Does this mean you have to download templates specifically made for Joomla (similar to word press) Or is it possible to make any html template work?

The problem does appear to be in my theme. When I try uploading the theme via FTP and go to discover in extensions area I get this error:

Failed loading XML file
/home/content/57/8206357/html/letrabnet/templates/breeze-3d-html/templateDetails.xml
XML: failed to load external entity "/home/content/57/8206357/html/letrabnet/templates/breeze-3d-html/templateDetails.xml"

Looking into my templates, there certainly is no templatedetails.xml file. The only xml file in my template directory is PiecemakerXML.xml.

Also the directory is set up quite differently then the directories of the preloaded joomla templates. Here is an example of how my template directories look after being unzipped "note: ( ) will indicate a folder. (Breeze-3d-html) -> (PSD) -> folder contains images saved as both psd and jpg.
(Breeze-3d-html) -> (html) ->(com)(caurina)(images)(js) all.html, contact.php style.css, piecemaker.fla, piecemaker.swf, piecemakerCSS.ss, piecemakerXML.xml. - Images and JS folders have corrosponding files. Com and caurina all have .as files relative to piecemaker. Most of this im sure is irrelevent and redundant as piecemaker is the 3D slider on the page.

If these templates wont work with joomla :( Is there another suggestion for a backend I could use them with?

The site i got them from has both wordpress and html templates. I like their html templates much more and there is a bigger selection. I have a subscription to this site so venturing elsewhere for templates, especially when money is tight isn't much an option for now.

Thanks in advance for the shedding of light on the situation. Kind regards.

PS - the template site does not offer any documentation for their html templates and very little for their wp templates :( should have done more research before signing up.

Thanks again

Eric

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 am

Hi Eric,

lol, that is too funny! :D Sorry, but standard html templates just don't work in Joomla (and they don't work in Wordpress for that matter). You could convert it to a Joomla template which is fairly simple but probably a bit outside of your current skill level.

Alternatively, there are a lot of great Joomla template providers if you're interested.

Kind regards,
Nick

bartel02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bartel02 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 am

Bummer! If you know of any good documentation on converting I would love to get reading. I am usually a pretty quick study! Thanks again for all your help.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi Eric,

I guess my earlier post got removed by one of the moderators without anyone letting me that they had removed it. Bummer.

Let me know if you got this sorted or if you still need help.

Kind regards,
Nick

cvoogt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cvoogt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 am

Nick Savov wrote:Issues with the installer are usually server related and not Joomla related. I would check that you have correct permissions on the folders, correct file ownership, and that allow_url_fopen is enabled.

Kind regards,
Nick
Those are certainly good things to check, but this issue does occur even when all those things are correct. Not in all cases, but it seems to happen especially between major versions, like going from 1.7 to 2.5.

nikkyg
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nikkyg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Yeah, that is right..
I tried everything I could with the php.ini file, no luck!
Any further suggestions would help

My situation:
1. I moved my installation from one server to another
2. I can upgrade to Joomla 2.5.4 from Joomla 1.7.3 on the first server using the installation URL
However, I cant really seem to be able to do the same once I moved the hosting server
3. I used Akeeba for the move.
4. I am planning to do this with other hosted websites as well. [Dont really want to upgrade them on the old server and then transfer them, if that would be a suggestion :( ]

For now I would definitely have to update manually, but there has to be a cure!
- Nikky G
“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” ― Mark Twain
www.aquireservices.com

cvoogt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cvoogt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 pm

For 1.7 to 2.5 I usually end up:

A) making a full backup using phpMyAdmin for the DB and FTP for the files. I do't trust Akeeba 100% because its archives get corrupted sometimes,
B) grab the 2.5.4 archive, unzip, and upload to the site, overwriting all files. Then go to the Extension Manager and go to Database, and click Fix to update the DB to 2.5.4.

nikkyg
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nikkyg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 pm

As a matter of fact I just did that and it worked fine.
I thought it to be easier than this though.
Thank you !!
- Nikky G
“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” ― Mark Twain
www.aquireservices.com

cvoogt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cvoogt » Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah, it's a pain. The new Joomla updater is a nice idea, but more often than not it doesn't work right and you just have to do it with FTP after all.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”