Creating menu item, removing and adding again fails

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
johnnybgoodwin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Creating menu item, removing and adding again fails

Post by johnnybgoodwin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:06 am

Ok my very bad. Very, very bad.....
I found the trash.
In my defense.... If there is no filter selected, shouldn't all the menus show - published, unpublished and trashed?
So you can only see the trash if you select the state, "Trash" and Joomla! 1.6 is working as it is programmed to do.
OK, I'm going to lie down now.
Sing all the earth

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:07 am

lol I know how you feel.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

johnnybgoodwin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnnybgoodwin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 am

That was a quick reply - it does seem like, well, at least a quirk though, don't ya think? If there's no filter you should see everything? I did ass u me that there was no trash but when I filtered out the live menus the trash appeared. That would be good if it was changed. :D
Thanks for your help with this.
John
Sing all the earth

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 am

Yeah, I have been saying that in the bug squad since that filter went in, but I haven't gotten any traction on it.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

garagepro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by garagepro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I am experiencing the same problem when creating a new Sidebar Menu with duplicates of the some of the existing Footer Menu. I select Menu Type=Alias and choose the corresponding Menu Item, enter same Menu Title and leave the Alias field blank. Upon save I get the same error message discussed here. This seem to only happen for the when Parent Item = Menu item Root. The existing Alias is simply a Text Separator.

AS Mentioned Previously:
"You use an Alias and you just can't have the same Alias. It really doesn't even matter what you put cause it will pull the alias from the menu item you are pointing to."

Being a new Joomla user this doesn't make any sense. Why doesn't it use the same alias as the existing "Menu Item" I selected? It should fill it in rather than me have to put a bogus Alias in there. This just doesn't seem right and it took me some time to figure out why I couldn't select existing menu items.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 am

I agree it's confusing and I consider it a bug actually. I hope one of you will put it in the tracker.

PartapGusain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PartapGusain » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

Hi All,
I just installed all joomla 1.6 with "Rainbow Theme" theme,i have customize it,now i just want to display Top Menu Bar as follows:-
Top Menu > Alias > Picking up a article from categroy list

but the problem is , i have published all the pages but still it doesn't showing any Top menu bar

Help me guys

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm

PatapGusain please start a new thread. It is wrong to take threads off topic.
Also your post is not a bug report. Consider posting in the templates forum.

PartapGusain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PartapGusain » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Ok. champ..i'l take care of it nxt tym

anonymoose
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by anonymoose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:56 am

I too have been suffering pure hell trying to create a simple contact form in Joomla 1.6
I got it to work the first time, and actually was able to create a menu link and navigate to it, but the problem was that it had at least two extra titles appearing on the page (I don't know for sure where they were coming from) so I went back trying to find places where I entered the text that was appearing in the extra titles and deleting them in an effort to eleminate them. Unfortunately, something I did caused it to produce the error "Article not found" when I clicked on the menu link. I tried to delete everything I did previously and start all over again, but now when I recreate the contact form and a menu link to it, I get the error something like "Another menu item exists with the same alias in parent item root" I tried changing the Menu Item Type to "Menu Item Alias", but this changed nothing.
Maybe I need to do MCSMOM's suggestion "Once you have trashed, use the filters at the top of the grid to select just the trashed items." but I have no idea what she is referring to, and I don't know what is meant by "top of the grid". Can anyone please help? Otherwise I see no alternative but to start deleting things in the database. :(

P.S. The Joomla forums won't display for me in Firefox, so I had to open the forum in IE to post this.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:20 pm

When you go to any manager in Joomla! there is a grid/list of items with a lot of columns. just above the first article on the list there are a row of filters, like search, state, language, category etc. Change the filter for state to be trash.

tneves
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tneves » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi.
I understand that I can't have the same alias in Root (so, we need unique alias).
But this makes sense only for menu items that have the same Language.

So, for language "All" I can only have one menu item with alias "contact".
But, if I use the multilanguage of Joomla 1.6 and build a menu for only the "French" or "Portuguese" or whatever, I could use again the alias "contact".
Why? Because Joomla makes us use a unique language URL code anyway...

So, final result would be:
domain.com/contact
domain.com/en/contact
domain.com/fr/contact
domain.com/pt/contact

All of them have the same alias, but no conflict... Why isn't this possible???

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 pm

What would happen if you disabled the plugin?

tneves
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tneves » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Well, nothing really... because all the menu items, categories, modules are linked to a language, even if I disable the plugin.
The check that Joomla does when it says "Another menu item has the same alias in Root" should be performed by making a double check: with this language AND in Root.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 pm

No they aren't linked to the language. If you disable the plugin you will lose the /en/ or /fr/ and then have a mess.

tneves
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tneves » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 am

They are not linked? That's a surprise.
But the database has a "language" column for every line, what happens to this? Nothing should be lost just because I disable the plugin. Doesn't make sense for me.
Can you give me some hints on what is the Joomla behaviour "behind the scenes"?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am

tneves wrote:Hi.
I understand that I can't have the same alias in Root (so, we need unique alias).
But this makes sense only for menu items that have the same Language.

So, for language "All" I can only have one menu item with alias "contact".
But, if I use the multilanguage of Joomla 1.6 and build a menu for only the "French" or "Portuguese" or whatever, I could use again the alias "contact".
Why? Because Joomla makes us use a unique language URL code anyway...

So, final result would be:
domain.com/contact
domain.com/en/contact
domain.com/fr/contact
domain.com/pt/contact

All of them have the same alias, but no conflict... Why isn't this possible???
Code in 1.6 does not let do that.
It's an interesting new feature that would be nice to get in 1.7.
The language prefix is added by routers and I do not see it as an easy task as reverting the site to monolingual (which is possible now) would require changing also any conflicting alias.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

tneves
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tneves » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for the info.
How can this possible new feature be added for evaluation into 1.7? Should I add the idea into "Idea Pool"? Is that the correct way?

If I revert to monolingual, why would there be conflicting alias? I would end up having only the "All" language right? The existing "en" "fr" language items/modules/categories would just get inactive, correct?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:50 pm

tneves wrote:Thanks for the info.
How can this possible new feature be added for evaluation into 1.7? Should I add the idea into "Idea Pool"? Is that the correct way?
yes
tneves wrote:If I revert to monolingual, why would there be conflicting alias? I would end up having only the "All" language right? The existing "en" "fr" language items/modules/categories would just get inactive, correct?
No. Their language tags will just be ignored.

tessak22
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tessak22 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm

This is so annoying, I hope they remove this in later versions.
I <3 Joomla!
Find me on twitter @tessak22

perspective
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by perspective » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:01 pm

mcsmom wrote:GO to the menu manager.
Instead of selecting internal link, select alias.
This will give you a list of all existing menu items.
Select your desired duplicate link from the list.
perfect, I was going crazy looking for this. :)

RLM512
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RLM512 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Solution: Empty out the Trash. See below the steps to empty out your menu item trash:

1. Log in to your Joomla 1.6 administrator backend.

2. Click on ‘Menu’, ‘Menu Manager’, Change tab to ‘Menu Items’

3. From the filter drop downs, ‘Select State’ = Trash

4. Using the checkboxes on the side to select the menu items you want to delete permanently.

5. Click on the button ‘Empty Trash’.

arains
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arains » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I've been banging my shins on this problem for the past several hours.

AND I suspect that many will bang into this problem and try to resolve it on their own.

After carefully reading the entire thread I pieced the puzzle together - AND - I finally was able to Empty the Trash... (that should have been a no brainer)

Isn't this one a good candidate to make a short a [youtube] video on?
If I knew how to make one I would.

I'm hoping someone with video making abilities does so.

Amanda

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by LukeDouglas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 pm

I just wanted to add that if you are trying to move a menu item from one menu to another, look at the bottom of the page under Batch Process when you have the menu pulled up. You can copy or move a menu item using that feature. Be sure that you have trashed and emptied any duplicates from the menu you are moving the item to so you won't get a conflict error.

If you open up the menu item and select the menu location as another menu, it will not move the menu item. I was getting the same error messages and it took awhile to figure out but I was finally able to move the Home link from the Mainmenu to Top.

cvoogt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cvoogt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:49 am

Ever since the switch to 1.6 and now 1.7, moving menu items has been a huge pain.
The trick to:
A) edit an existing menu item, and change the menu it's assigned to to some other menu
B) change its alias (just for now)
C) Save and close
D) change the filters to view trashed menu items, and empty your trash
E) change your filters back and then edit the same menu item again
F) change your alias back
G) Save and close

Now you see why people are having problems with it?
This used to work in 1.5, where you could just:
A) Edit the menu item
B) change the menu it belongs to
C) Save.

You could also simply move a menu item between menus. I really miss that., but at the very least when you are editing a menu item you shouldn't have to exit it and come back to it just to finish editing it. It is far too much trouble for anyone .. admins as well as regular users.

I have a a hard time keeping a straight face when guiding customers through the Joomla 1.6/1.7 menu editing process because of this and I hope it gets resolved soon. It is such a critical feature from a user's point of view. I wish I knew enough about the menu API to contribute.

itsmagic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itsmagic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm

RLM512 wrote:Solution: Empty out the Trash. See below the steps to empty out your menu item trash:

1. Log in to your Joomla 1.6 administrator backend.

2. Click on ‘Menu’, ‘Menu Manager’, Change tab to ‘Menu Items’

3. From the filter drop downs, ‘Select State’ = Trash

4. Using the checkboxes on the side to select the menu items you want to delete permanently.

5. Click on the button ‘Empty Trash’.
This fixed it for me. I found it myself after not finding the solution in this thread the first time and returned to the forum to post the solution and found this that I had missed this solution the first time :-) I Thought I would re-post and quote so it becomes more apparent on how to clear the trash and over come the error. There is also a small underlined link when in the menu manager that shows the number of items that are in the trash that can be clicked to get you there too so they can be selected and deleted.

Alaskan_grunt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alaskan_grunt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Ok so first not sure if this is the right area but I will give it a shot.

I am trying to install the Extension Chrono Forms on my Joomla 2.5 installation. However when I go to install the component one I get the following error.

I have already posted on the Chronoforms Fourm site but the Admin said "I don't recall seeing this particular error before with ChronoForms. This post from the Joomla! forums suggests that clearing the Menu trash may help?"

I have already cleared my cache, the trash, and every thing else I could think of I even went through and re-named the contact us for the joomla default contact form. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alaskan_grunt.
Good things come to all those who wait? Yeah right; search the earth for what you want, don't find it search again.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:25 am

Look if among your menu items, one alias is not the same as created by Chronoforms.

pxk01
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pxk01 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks MCSMOM, problem fixed, we are not worthy.

haitao
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by haitao » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi!

Has the bug been filed? I'm under 2.5.3 and still suffering from the issue. Why do I need the same menu and alias? simple:
I want to have a side menu with shortcuts to some nested menus but it won't let me, eventhough it's somehow the same link to the same article/component. It really doesn't make sense to access in my case to the forum through 2 different URLs because I have 2 menus pointing to it.

How can we move forward?

Thanks.

Fred

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”