After Upgrade from 1.65 to 1.7, frontend is not working

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Raikkonen_WC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

After Upgrade from 1.65 to 1.7, frontend is not working

Post by Raikkonen_WC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 am

I just upgraded to 1.7, and it went very easy. Only problem is dat I now have a website without a loaded template. And when I select a template (beez20 for example), the website stays "Blank"...

On the frontend, I get this error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getPath() on a non-object in /home/w0824589/domains/raymondsmits.com/public_html/joomla_new/libraries/joomla/application/categories.php on line 516

See here what I mean:
http://www.raymondsmits.com/joomla_new

How can I fix this???

Also when I go to "Global Configurations, Site" The select buttons of the options "site, system,server,premission" don't work. I then get a error underneath in IE9:

Foutdetails webpagina

Gebruikersagent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tijdstempel: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:51:38 UTC

Bericht: Kan de eigenschap type niet opvragen. Ongeldig argument.
Regel: 6
Teken: 30
Code: 0
URI: http://www.raymondsmits.com/joomla_new/ ... alidate.js

Bericht: Deze eigenschap of methode wordt niet ondersteund door dit object
Regel: 473
Teken: 25
Code: 0
URI: http://www.raymondsmits.com/joomla_new/ ... ls-core.js

sone12
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: After Upgrade from 1.65 to 1.7, frontend is not working

Post by sone12 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:09 am

Before you begin, backup your website files and database. This is important.
I guess you took a backup before the upgrade?
Kristian P. Granrud

Raikkonen_WC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Raikkonen_WC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:13 am

Yes.. This is my test site, my normal site is still online, I'm just testing it on the background.

Raikkonen_WC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Raikkonen_WC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 am

I just tested something. When I'm in the Menu, HOME options, and I set the #Links value to 0, the website loads, and I see the template. But when I click on one of the buttons, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getPath() on a non-object in /home/w0824589/domains/raymondsmits.com/public_html/joomla_new/libraries/joomla/application/categories.php on line 516

Raikkonen_WC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Raikkonen_WC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:34 am

I found a link on the website that would fix my problem:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=26393

But how do i run this file?

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,

You don't run the file as such - rather you need to make the changes contained in the category0fix.patch file to your original libraries\joomla\application\categories.php file.

The file category0fix.patch contains references to where the changes need to be made.

For example: -

Code: Select all

@@ -278,7 +278,7 @@
 					$this->_nodes[$result->id] = new JCategoryNode($result, $this);

// If this is not root and if the current node's parent is in the list or the current node parent is 0
-					if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 0)) {
+					if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 1)) {
 						// Compute relationship between node and its parent - set the parent in the _nodes field
 						$this->_nodes[$result->id]->setParent($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]);
 					}
The

@@ -278,7 +278,7 @@
above means change 7 lines starting at line 278 in categories.php and replace them with the 7 lines underneath the @@ line.

You will note that there are actually 8 lines in the patch file, but you remove the complete line that starts with - (minus) sign.

Remove the + (plus) signs too, but not the whole line!

Hope that helps.

Raikkonen_WC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Raikkonen_WC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks!!!! It took a while before I could test it. But I just added all the lines and the website works! Again, thank you for the explanation!

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi all,
I have the same bug :
Fatal error: Call to a member function getPath() on a non-object in F:\xampplite\htdocs\mysite\jupgrade\libraries\joomla\application\categories.php on line 516
I can view the backend but I've this error on the frontend.
I've tried to correct the config.php in F:\xampplite\htdocs\monsite\jupgrade\libraries\joo mla\application\categories.php with the tips you provide above.
After that, I can see my frontend but my computer need to be restarted as soon I go to my home page because of my mouse and the keys don't work.
Is there another tips to let JUpgrade work properly ?
I ask it because it seems it's a good composant and I'm near the goal...
(I'm using JUpgrade to upgrade 1.5.23 into 1.7)

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 am

Kirigol wrote:Hi all,
I have the same bug :
Fatal error: Call to a member function getPath() on a non-object in F:\xampplite\htdocs\mysite\jupgrade\libraries\joomla\application\categories.php on line 516
I can view the backend but I've this error on the frontend.
I've tried to correct the config.php in F:\xampplite\htdocs\monsite\jupgrade\libraries\joo mla\application\categories.php with the tips you provide above.
After that, I can see my frontend but my computer need to be restarted as soon I go to my home page because of my mouse and the keys don't work.
Is there another tips to let JUpgrade work properly ?
I ask it because it seems it's a good composant and I'm near the goal...
(I'm using JUpgrade to upgrade 1.5.23 into 1.7)
I have to admit that your post worries me somewhat!

The original issue of

is relatively easy to rectify if you modify \libraries\joomla\application\categories.php as per the posting above. If you cannot carry out the changes yourself, let me know and I will post an edited version of categories.php for you.

However, you also mention correcting config.php and there is no need to edit any files of that name. The only file that needs to be amended is \libraries\joomla\application\categories.php

Then you have problems with needing to reboot your computer because
as soon I go to my home page because of my mouse and the keys don't work
I find it hard to believe that Joomla is causing this issue and would look more towards a virus on your PC.

Lastly, I would try to avoid using IE9 to administer the back end of any Joomla site - I am currently investigating some incidences where clicking certain buttons in the administrator site does not carry out the action that the button should perform.

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 am

Hello bcoadmin,
I thank you fot your prompt answer.
I've followed the tips... And replace the 7 lines,

// Create the JCategoryNode and add to _nodes
// If this is not root and if the current node's parent is in the list or the current node parent is 0
if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 0)) {
// Compute relationship between node and its parent - set the parent in the _nodes field
$this->_nodes[$result->id]->setParent($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]);}
so now I've : (I comment all the line which begin by - (minus) and cancel the + (plus))

// Create the JCategoryNode and add to _nodes
//  if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 0)) {
  if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 1)) {
$this->_nodes[$result->id]->setParent($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]);}
As soon I do that and what to reach the homepage my computer is frozen and I had to reboot it.
I've tried with firefox and IE

I apologize for the config.php, I was talking about categories.php in fact.
So I've run different antivirus scan on my computer, it seems everything is ok, without known viruses.

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am

OK, it's difficult to say whether your code is completely correct as there were multiple sections to amend.

I have attached a copy of categories.php that I am using on several installations of Joomla 1.7

Rename your original \libraries\joomla\application\categories.php to something like \libraries\joomla\application\categories.ori.php

Then copy the attached file to \libraries\joomla\application\
Rename it from categories.php.txt to categories.php

Logout of Joomla administator backend and login again

Let me know how you get on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks a lot.
It seems I had to try a different method to migrate my site because of even with your files my CPU crash as soon as my homepage is loaded =(

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am

Curious that a homepage can make a PC crash or hang.

So are things working now?

Personally I would try not to migrate. Start with a clean install of Joomla 1.7, install required modules/components/plugins and DOCUMENT every step. Then, if necessary import your content. However, I would still rather copy and paste content and reload images rather than import. Possibly more work but it ensures a clean start and should pay dividends in the long run...

Richnyc30
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Category error: categories.php on line 516

Post by Richnyc30 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:02 pm

This error developed after I deleted a couple of test modules.
Downloading the attachment above for category.php seems to be working.
Didn't have to log out.
I had thought I had a corrupted database. Thanks.

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 am

In my case it seems my computer don't support the frontend of 1.6 and 1.7 and I don't know why. I can reach the frontend with others computer. Even when I disabled all the application with msconfig.
That's all I know.

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 am

Kirigol wrote:In my case it seems my computer don't support the frontend of 1.6 and 1.7 and I don't know why. I can reach the frontend with others computer. Even when I disabled all the application with msconfig.
That's all I know.
Kirigol, I have never come across a situation where a computer crashes when accessing Joomla.

You say that others (i.e. other computers) can access the frontend without problems, yet in a previous post you inferred that the site runs locally on the xamp platform
F:\xampplite\htdocs\mysite\jupgrade\libraries\joomla\application\categories.php on line 516
So if you are running xamp locally, how are others accessing your computer?

Additionally, although I am not overly familiar with xamp (I use wampserver) I notice that you appear to be using xampplite. I was under the impression that this version had been dropped some while ago. If it has been dropped then your versions of PHP and mySQL will be out of date.

Can you post answers to the above and also details of which versions of PHP and mySQL you are running?

Thanks

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm

It seems it's a particular problem which occurs only on my computer so I've notified it because you 've tried to help me. I've searched on many support site nobody knows what happens so I will try to migrate my site with another computer.

You're right I've said I was working on a local site.
But I've tried to use wamp to, I've changed the version of xamp, I've upgraded all my PHP and SQL version with the latest server programms. It was the same, the frontend freeze my Computer.

I've tried a online installation. And it's the same the homepage frontend j1.6 and j1.7 crash even with a new install. But I can see the frontend and surf on it with other CPU (thanks to my mom and my wife). Now I can install all the joomla versions with closed eyes =)))
I've disabled all the applications with execute-->msconfig. I've uninstalled some applications.
And nothing is better. So don't bother with my trouble it comes from my computer that's it. Sorry for wasting your time.

I will try your nice composant with another computer...

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 pm

...And nothing is better. So don't bother with my trouble it comes from my computer that's it. Sorry for wasting your time.
Well I don't mind the time - if I can help I will and that's the beauty of the Joomla forums!

Lastly regarding the Joomla problem, are you using 32bit or 64bit PHP and mySQL? I have tried 64bit versions of both PHP and mySQL and have had problems so I have gone back to 32bit.

However, I would be concerned about your PC. Does the event log show anything just before the freeze? Maybe it's worth checking out malware/viruses? Why not pop over to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and posting an issue there - the guys are geniuses...

Kirigol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kirigol » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

The config is as following :
+ Apache 2.2.14 (IPV6 enabled)
+ MySQL 5.1.41 (Community Server) with PBXT engine 1.0.09-rc
+ PHP 5.3.1 (PEAR)
+ Miniperl 5.10.1
+ XAMPP Control Version 2.5.8 (ApacheFriends Edition)
+ XAMPP CLI Bundle 1.6
+ XAMPP Port Check 1.5
+ XAMPP Security 1.1
+ SQLite 2.8.17
+ SQLite 3.6.20
+ OpenSSL 0.9.8l
+ phpMyAdmin 3.2.4
+ msmtp 1.4.19 (a sendmail compatible SMTP client)
+ Webalizer 2.21-02 (with GeoIP lite)
+ Ming 0.4.3 for PHP
+ PDF with pdflib lite v7.0.4p4 for PHP

---------------------------------------------------------------

* System Requirements:

+ 128 MB RAM
+ 192 MB free fixed disk
+ Windows 2000, XP (Server 2003), Vista (Server 2008), 7
+ all systems 32 bit (64 bit should also work)

I will ask on bleepingcomputer, is I find an issue I will keep you informed... Thanks for all...

itfidds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itfidds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 pm

This is the current offering from wamp: -
WampServer 2.1e [07/01/11] Including :
- Apache 2.2.17
- Php 5.3.5 (version 32 bits)
- Php 5.3.4 (version 64 bits)
- Mysql 5.1.53 (version 64 bits)
- Mysql 5.5.8 (version 32 bits)
- XDebug 2.1.0-5.3-vc6 (32 bits)
- XDebug 2.1.0-5.3-vc9 (64 bits)
- XDC 1.5
- PhpMyadmin 3.3.9
- SQLBuddy 1.3.2
- webGrind 1.0

There is an equivalent download for xamp using pretty much the same versions as wampserver.

However, whilst your versions are slightly out of date, the only thing that I would question is your version of mySQL. I am sure that I was running 5.1.41 (as 64bit) which caused me problems.

djacouma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djacouma » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 am

Wow - I can't thank you guys enough for this thread. I reverted some k2 menu items (articles) to base joomla menu items (articles) and I got this same error out of nowhere. Could have been related to running a global check-in but honestly, I have no clue.

The proposed solution to edit file public_html/libraries/joomla/application/categories.php

and simply replace line 281 (Joomla! 1.7.0 Stable)
if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 0)) {
with
if ($result->id != 'root' && (isset($this->_nodes[$result->parent_id]) || $result->parent_id == 1)) {
got me back in business instantly.

I thought I was toast and going back to a 10 hour old backup. Thanks again for taking the time to post issues and fixes.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”