IE9: Save/Apply/Cancel buttons don't work in Article Manager

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jørgen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

IE9: Save/Apply/Cancel buttons don't work in Article Manager

Post by jørgen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Hello!

I have just started experimenting with IE9 (9.0.8112.16421, 32-bit under Win7 64-bit).

Just to be on the safe side I have done a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.23 (no default data/content). When going into the "Article Manager" and clicking "New", I start to make a new article. Entering a "Title", selecting a section ("Uncategorised" is the only one available) and entering some text in the artcle body.

I now try to save the new article. When clicking "Save" nothing happens! The same goes for "Apply" and "Cancel" (nothing happens when clicking these buttons! Clicking "Preview" or "Help" seems to work OK. I also notice that I am no longer able to select any text in the editor window using the mouse.

Clicking "Cancel" before having entered anything in a new article (immediately after clicking "New") works OK.

When I enter just the "Title" and selecting a section (but I do not enter any text into the article body), the "Save", "Apply" and "Cancel" also works OK.

When using any other browser (FF, Safari, Opera, Chrome) everything works OK.

When running IE9 in compatebility mode (clicking the small "page broken" icon to the right of the address bar) everything works OK.

Is this a known problem in Joomla 1.5 (I have also tried 1.5.22 with the same results)?
Is it possible to get around this somehow?

See also: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=610661

Jørgen

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: IE9: Save/Apply/Cancel buttons don't work in Article Man

Post by abernyte » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:11 pm

You need to enable Scriptlets in the browser settings.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
Click the Internet zone.
a. Click Custom Level.
b. In the Security Settings – Internet Zone dialog box, click Enable for Active Scripting in the Scripting section.
scriptlet.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

jørgen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jørgen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi abernyte, thanks for the reply!

I have tried enabling scriptlets, but that had no effect in my case. Also, I guess that Joomla should work as normal without the need to enable stuff in the browser that has been deprecated for many years (my Joomla installations worked OK in IE7 and IE8).

I guess that there must be something else going on here...

Jørgen

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm

That change did it for me. I never use IE9 other than testing so I found your described issue when I tried it.
Sorry can't help further. It doesn't seem to be a Joomla issue though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

jørgen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jørgen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi again abernyte,

I have done a couple of more experiments:

- When setting the scriptlets setting to "Prompt", I don't get promted (clicking "Save", "Apply" or "Cancel" still has no effect).

- Setting Site -> Global Configuration -> Default WYSIWYG Editor to "Editor - No Editor" fixes the problem. Clicking "Save", "Apply" or "Cancel" has the appropriate effect. Seems to be editor related (I have only observed the problem on pages with an editor field). BTW, since this is a fresh installation of 1.5.23 the default editor is TinyMCE.

Any ideas anyone? Does the version of TinyMCE used by 1.5.23 have problems with IE9?
Jørgen

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am

Okay I see this as well. I took a clean installation and I am able to replicate what you find. There might well be an issue with IE9 and TinyMCE article editor.
I dropped a copy of JCK: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... editors/90 into the installation and its works perfectly.

jørgen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jørgen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 am

Hello again!

Thanks for the input on using JCK!! I will most certainly be looking into this!

I have tried the latest version of JCE, but no luck. Maybe its time to switch to JCK...

Jørgen

xironet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xironet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:08 am

Hi,
I am new in Joomla and have done my first site at www.moghtader.co.uk. The problem I have is that when I open the admin section to type in my content from Article editor (Article manager), it doesn't save.
If I open an article (or a page in fact) and close it, it works, but as soon as I type something in the editing area nothing works, I can not save the content, I have to close my entire browser and log back in. Basically right now I can not add any contents to my site.
I am using Windows Vista, IE 9, Joomla 1.5.23 and you can see the site. Everything works excapt this, can anyone shed some light on this as I am totally stuck.

I have tried everything you guys mentioned here, none of them works, I am stuck, any help!!

Many thanks in advance.

Hamid

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 am

Until this is resolved use a different browser and see if that helps. Chrome, Opera, Firefox all work.

jørgen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jørgen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 am

I have done some more testing using JCE version 1.5.7.11 (latest version). Works pretty well using IE9, but there are issues (posted to the JCE forum, hope they can look into this). The Save/Apply/Cancel buttons works OK though.

dvharrison
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dvharrison » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am

Hi all

This thread really helped me yesterday when I had the same problem. Thanks guys :D

I enabled scriptlets in IE9 as suggested and found that although the Apply Button in Article Manager seemed to work (came up with Successfully saved changes etc...), the button was still not active.

So I tried JCK Editor and this has solved the problem as well.

I also Googled TinyMCE bug in ie9 and according to http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/js/tinymce/changelog.txt And although there are plenty IE9 fixes to date, this button is not one of them.

Hope this helps some other poor soul. :pop

aaron1988
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aaron1988 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 am

i will give all this a go

silmearendil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silmearendil » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:37 am

None of this worked for me at all with ie9 but firefox works ok with it all, surprised that a fresh install of 1.7 at this late date has this problem, what a bunch of shizznit

xool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xool » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Problem still exists on my Joomla-installations; hosted at several servers at different parties. A fix from MS would be great, however; if in the mean time the problem can be tackled, I would be happy to try the solutions!

Greetings!

littlelizard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by littlelizard » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 am

Ran into this problem as well. I never use IE except to test front end stuff, but my client was having all kinds of issues. I've done all the tricks I found and I can't save anything (contacts, users, etc.), although one of the changes I made did allow anything tabbed to actually display.

Once again, IE fail. :D

duck_prince
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by duck_prince » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:43 am

I ran into this problem too. Button save didn't work. can't save anything in component. I don't know why, but problem was solved when i changed admin template.
Phan mem crm ==> https://winmain.vn
Body And Soul ==> https://bodyandsoul.vn

cavo789
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cavo789 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you for the tip. One of my user had the same problem with IE9 and putting the site in the "Display compatibility mode" has works.

Using an another browser too and an another editor too ;)

Joomla 1.5.23 fresh installation.
Christophe (cavo789)
Logiciel gratuit de scan antivirus : https://github.com/cavo789/aesecure_quickscan (plus de 45.000 virus détectés, 700.000 fichiers sur liste blanche)
Mes logiciels OpenSource : https://www.avonture.be

troykristoffer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by troykristoffer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

I have this same exact problem on all browsers, IE, Firefox and Chrome. :(

silmearendil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silmearendil » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 pm

On ALL browsers? Now that one is new.

troykristoffer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by troykristoffer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Yup, and it's definitely related to JCE. IF I use any other editor it works fine.

Also - This is something that popped up in the last two months, as it was working just fine before, and I have not worked on my site in 2 months.

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdockum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 pm

troykristoffer wrote:Yup, and it's definitely related to JCE. IF I use any other editor it works fine.

Also - This is something that popped up in the last two months, as it was working just fine before, and I have not worked on my site in 2 months.
I have had a couple of clients encounter this issue in the last week or two. The common factors are IE9 and JCE, although JCE incorporates TinyMCE (I think I read that anyway) and my first bit of troubleshooting found that TinyMCE also presented this problem. Updating Joomla and/or JCE did not correct it.

Using other browsers, compatibility mode, and JCK (alternative editor) were all solutions. By no means do I like IE, but a fix would be more ideal than instructing several clients to abandon IE or installing and configuring a new editor. Hopefully this is ironed out soon, I will keep an eye out.

silmearendil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silmearendil » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 am

Well Firefox works with tinymce but it seems the joomla team has muffed that up as the tinymce editor no longer has options for keeping it from stripping out custom code. I am using JCK now though I am finding on occasion my top menu in the backend dissapears in firefox when I am using that. Personally I dont believe joomla 1.7 or ie9 is all that 'stable'

getonline
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by getonline » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 am

Whith the latest JCE Editor (2.0.14) works fine.

Chacapamac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chacapamac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I will follow this
Happen on 1.5.23
JCE — 1.5.7.6
Firefox....

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_
Clean all caches
I just test the edition of an article and I can save...
I can disable a module

I cannot save any transformation in a module (whith editor) — Try Save Apply Close...

Try to change module without editor — Work

Was working before I didn’t change anything????

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_

Update to JCE 1.0.14 No more problems
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

crazihel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by crazihel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I've had the exact same problem, the buttons do not work in IE9 just for article editing. I have installed JCK editor & the problem has disappeared.

garyjaybrooks
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by garyjaybrooks » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Try to disable plugins that might be working in the administrator area. We had issue with Sticky toolbar - Offlajn.com causing issues with I and the adminstrator not working. They must have a bug they are not aware us. I disabled the admin plugin and everything started working.

http://offlajn.com/blog/entry/2012/04/2 ... rface.html
Gary Brooks - Joomla Hosting with Phone Support http://www.CloudAccess.net Official host of http://demo.joomla.org

garyjaybrooks
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by garyjaybrooks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

@Karaj,

Can you please start a new thread, with screen shots. Your question does not relate to this thread. It will help you get answers faster.
Gary Brooks - Joomla Hosting with Phone Support http://www.CloudAccess.net Official host of http://demo.joomla.org

Return to “Administration 1.5”