Edit article on the front-end doesn't work in joomla 1.7?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
koen_knaepen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Edit article on the front-end doesn't work in joomla 1.7?

Post by koen_knaepen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 am

I am testing joomla 1.7 because 1.6 seems to be out of date.
I made a website with 3 languages.
Everything seems to work fine except the editing of an article on the front-side. I always get an error 310 no matter what I try to do. Error 310=ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
I use a template made by Artisteer 3.0 that compatible with Joomla 1.7

Can somebody help me?

dylanjh
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Edit article on the front-end doesn't work in joomla 1.7

Post by dylanjh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am

I dont get any such problem with editing front end articles in Joomla 1.7. You can test if your template is causing the problem by changeing your sites template to the default joomla template. Also, when does the error occur? when you click on the edit icon, or when you save?
EmailAsUsername - Remove Usernames Joomla! Virtuemart And JomSocial registration http://www.lunarhotel.co.uk Many other extensions supported.

Naila1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Naila1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:51 pm

I also have the same issue. Please let me know if you were able to resolve this.

Dave World
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave World » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:19 pm

My web host recently upgraded to Joomla 1.7 and my Front-end Editing function disappeared. I reinstalled the module and both plugins, they are enabled, but the function won't appear on my front end. My template is the standard Milkyway, so nothing fancy there. Any ideas?
DAVE WORLD

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:17 am

I am also having this issue - after upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7 the edit icon does not appear. Have switched templates, not the solution. Have looked through permissions to see if they had changed, and gave more permissions to see if that helps. Upon further trials have found that the front end article edit icon only appears for super-users.

There is another thread http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... +edit+icon which has this same question (in case it gets answered there first).

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

There seems to be a bug with editing. For years I have been using Joomla 1.1, then 1.5 and 1.6 but I have found in 1.7, using Firefox on a PC ..

Editor button only shows for super users in front end
Only super users see the save icon when editing an article in the backend. Even administrators cannot save and article.

John

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm using a mac, Safari and Firefox, same situation, but don't know about admins not being able to save and [edit?] articles.

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Try making a new user as an administrator and see what he can do. It would be interesting to see if the inability to save edits in the admin area is a common problem: in my case the save button appears only for super users.

John

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:19 pm

john47 wrote:Try making a new user as an administrator and see what he can do. It would be interesting to see if the inability to save edits in the admin area is a common problem: in my case the save button appears only for super users.

John
Between my last post and yours I did edit an article in the admin area, logged in as admin, which worked as it should. Also interesting to note, as I was responding thought it would be good to check out if the author user could successfully edit from the admin area, but that user no longer has ability to edit articles there either.

Have not tried creating a new administrator.

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I meant try creating a new user with administrator permissions which is one level below that of the user "admin" which is the default user name for the initial administrator who has super-user permissions, higher than administrator permissions.

The naming of "admin" is confusing as the user "admin" does not have only administrator permissions! He also has super-user permissions.

I would be interested to know how you get on but it's now bed time in England!

John

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:52 pm

I think a clean install of 1.6 or 1.7 is fine. It is jupgrade that is the problem

I think that jupgrade has not updated the user permissions for categories and articles. My school sites have over 100 categories and over 1000 articles so single category/article updating of permissions was not an option. I made a copy of j16_assets (your prefix may be different) in case everything went wrong and then applied these updates to change the permissions. You may wish to apply different rules.

UPDATE `j16_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.create":{"5":1},"core.delete":{"5":1},"core.edit":{"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"5":1},"core.edit.own":{"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.category%'

UPDATE `j16_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.delete":{"6":1,"5":1},"core.edit":{"6":1,"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"6":1,"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.article%'

Hope that helps others.

John

glombus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by glombus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 am

john47 wrote:I think a clean install of 1.6 or 1.7 is fine. It is jupgrade that is the problem

I think that jupgrade has not updated the user permissions for categories and articles. My school sites have over 100 categories and over 1000 articles so single category/article updating of permissions was not an option. I made a copy of j16_assets (your prefix may be different) in case everything went wrong and then applied these updates to change the permissions. You may wish to apply different rules.

UPDATE `j16_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.create":{"5":1},"core.delete":{"5":1},"core.edit":{"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"5":1},"core.edit.own":{"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.category%'

UPDATE `j16_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.delete":{"6":1,"5":1},"core.edit":{"6":1,"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"6":1,"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.article%'

Hope that helps others.

John
Hi John,

I think you're spot on. I did an upgrade from 1.5.x to 1.7 with JUpgrade and it seems my rules in j17_assets were blown away or otherwise not upgraded properly. When I looked at the table on my site all the entires were missing any values.

Crossing my fingers that the rules you provided would also apply to my personal site. It seems to be working for now but I hope I haven't introduced any issues with it.

I'm clueless as to what each number represents, but it's a throwaway site so I'm not too concerned.

-Will

Edit:

John's SQL definitely seems to have fixed the permissions issues for my articles, but...

I also found some other nasty issues after upgrading. I'm getting an error about my categories. It seems like Jupgrade improperly handled upgrading some of my sections to categories. I'm getting an error whenever I try to re-assign those categories that were upgraded from sections to new parents.

The error implies I'm trying to cyclically nest certain categories under themselves, which I'm definitely not doing, and I get an error message with no actual exception text when I try to assign these categories to have no parent.

The nesting field in SQL for these categories doesn't look quite right.

Reverting DB and front end back to J15 and will take it a bit slower if I attempt to upgrade again. J15 works for me for now...

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:41 am

john47 wrote: UPDATE `j16_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.create":{"5":1},"core.delete":{"5":1},"core.edit":{"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"5":1},"core.edit.own":{"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.category%'

Hope that helps others.

John
This may be a simple case of not seeing what is clearly in front of my eyes, but can you tell me where to find this?

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Updating tables is NOT done in the Joomla admin area.

You need to go into your Control Panel, then phpadmin, select your Joomla database and find the tables.

Don't forget to do a copy of the originals in case things go pear-shaped.

John

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:23 pm

i am preparing to try this now, just wanted to make a note that since the new is joomla 1.7 i'm guessing that instead of j16_assets etc i should change j17... (both appear in the list, probably tried upgrade/migrating to 1.6 previously)

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 pm

[edit] erased stupid question, to be replaced with slightly less stupid question

there aren't many categories for me to deal with, but there are hundreds of articles - if i understand correctly i have to correct these values for each article individually?

perpessio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perpessio » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 pm

think i understand what you mean by going pear shaped, as after changing the com_content.categoryxxx i can no longer log in at the front end, though log in to the admin is not effected. easy fix, as all of those values were previously blank, and i believe i did correctly backup the database

BUT

after changing com_content.category.# "Default Registration" back to blank values front end login works and can edit NEW articles (haven't changed any of the .article values yet)

[edit] tried changing values in one of the content.articles was not allowed to edit article

john47
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by john47 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 pm

The first two lines of code I gave changes the categories and the second two lines changes the articles - I had about 1500 articles on one site!

John

jessihance
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jessihance » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm

:D Thanks VERY much for this fix. We also have scads of articles to run this on.
Jessi Hance
Cruzio Internet

mark1984
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mark1984 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:22 pm

john47 wrote:I think a clean install of 1.6 or 1.7 is fine. It is jupgrade that is the problem

Hope that helps others.

John
Thanks very much for this! Spent ages looking into this problem and was convinced my template was to blame. Should have known it would be JUpgrade, it's the cause of all my problems!

Tronc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Tronc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 am

Hope that helps others.

John
Unfortunately this fix didn't work for me.
Joomla 1.7.3
PHP 5.2.17
Language en-GB

I ran that UPDATE as stated above. It updated the fields with the above mentioned values. However I still couldn't edit the Articles from the Front end. I then assumed that the 6 = Joomla version. So I changed it to 7. Se below.

UPDATE `jos_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.create":{"7":1},"core.delete":{"7":1},"core.edit":{"7":1},"core.edit.state":{"7":1},"core.edit.own":{"7":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.category%'

UPDATE `jos_assets` SET `rules`='{"core.delete":{"7":1,"5":1},"core.edit":{"7":1,"5":1},"core.edit.state":{"7":1,"5":1}}' WHERE `name` LIKE '%com_content.article%'

I have tried with the default template and the options to edit still don't appear.

darust
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by darust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 am

Boy, I've been fighting this problem now for days, screwing with user permissions, site permissions and going out of my mind. Editing won't work -- can't save, tinyMCE doesn't load, the buttons (article/image/etc) do weird things -- but of course, it locks the article and has to be unlocked from the backend.

This is a NEW clean install. Hosting seems to be OK: Apache version 2.2.21
PHP version 5.2.17 MySQL version 5.1.56 There are no issues on the backend. Other than a learning curve...

I checked out the demo site over on cloudaccess and son of a GUN it works there. Of course the demo user is a SUPER user.

I compared source for source and they *look* more or less identical, same .js getting loaded etc.

But of course, the front end on my site DOESN'T WORK.

Unless I use Internet Exploder. WHAT! (MSIE9)

Yep. I hunched over and clicked the mangy blue E icon, loaded up the site and BINGO. The icon to ADD an article appears! Woohoo. Clicked on the EDIT icon for an existing article, and BINGO! the tinyMCE interface shows up. The article can be saved! Images can be inserted! Everything.

Firefox is version 8.0 -- and oops, it's downloading an update RIGHT NOW. Version 9.01 got updated [edit] -- still no happyness...

Soooooo... what the heck is going on?

darust
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by darust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:58 pm

OK! I got it!

First, this is a dual-language site. The users are es-ES but Super User (me) prefers English.

Ok, so the backend advanced.function.descriptions would work ok for me.

Last night I wandered over to the tinyMCE website to pick up the spanish translation files, and applied them to /media/editors.../tinymce etc. but still no goodness.

But you know... Firefox has this webconsole thingie... I turned it on and discovered that it wasn't loading es.js like it should be (odd that MS Exploder doesn't mind)... so I took a chance and copied the en*.js files in media/editors/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/langs over to es*.js

I hit refresh... And it frikkin' worked. Hokey smokes! Now, alls I gots to do is some editing to do to clean up the non-translated files, and I will be enjoying Holiday Goodness knowing that my client is gonna paaaaaaaay! Woohoo! And of course, I share this tidbit with YOU. And of course, it'll be all over the Interwebs by now.

tomraider
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tomraider » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:52 am

Hope that helps others.

John
Thank you John47!

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”