Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
harmryel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number

Post by harmryel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:52 am

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: 2 when installing Joomla 1.7 to a webhost MySLQ database of the same name.

I've read a great deal of issues on this and no one seems to have the answer for me. - excuse me if I've missed something, new to Joomla etc, MySQL and PHP but have learnt a lot in the last 3 days.

I have a perfectly fine running joomla 1.7 installed to my localhost created with the defaults suggested, running XAMPP BUT created with the defaulted MySQLi not MySQL.

GOAL: Move it to my [url banned].com free webhosting service that supports MySQL only, requires that databases from localhost to their host be identical.

ISSUE: They require a unique MySQL database name on their service; comprising of pre-allocated numbers followed by a complusory username of my choice (I chose joomla for consistency). eg 1684841_joomla.

I cannot edit the global configuration sections or site profile sections, apparently because there's a problem with the configuration.php file which is made readable and readonly when you save etc.

Given the complexities of altering the configuration.php file to reflect the new database details and passwords etc. It was suggested that I recreate the Joomla installation directly to my webhost first rather than "Copying a website from localhost to a remote host - Tutorial" which didn't work for me because the database names were different when I exported the database file and tried to import it to my webhost's MySQL server.

The MySQL database was required before installation on their end and the following details were supplied once created.
-MySQL Database : 1684841_joomla
-MySQL User: 1684841_joomla
-MySQL Host: mysql8.[url banned].com
They advised that it takes about a minute for the database to create.

The webhosting service initially had some server issues but these have been rectified.
They listed in their help sections the following information:
"If you cannot connect to MySQL server, there could be some causes:

- Incorrect MySQL hostname.
Never use 'localhost' as your MySQL hostname! You can find your MySQL hostname by logging on to members area, entering control panel and clicking on MySQL icon.

- Incorrect MySQL username / password or database name.
You can find / setup MySQL username and database by clicking on MySQL icon from control panel. And you can change MySQL password by clicking on phpMyAdmin icon.

- Database failed to setup.
In a very rare cases MySQL database can fail to setup. To confirm this, please try to enter phpMyAdmin for any database. If you see database there, that means it setup was successful. And if you get access denied error by trying to enter phpMyAdmin, please delete the database and setup the same MySQL database again.

Please note that always you must give about 1 minute for any changes to apply on server.

If you still unable to connect to MySQL you check if it is server or your script problem in this way: if you can enter phpMyAdmin and see your database there, that means everything is working fine on our side. It's a problem with your PHP script."

The above concludes there is a problem with my PHP script, but I don't follow exactly what it could be. I've tried deleting, and re-extracting and installing under different names but the same occurs.

I have tried all combinations of leaving the password blank, filled in, selecting remove/delete, changing the prefix within guidelines and I just can't get it to install on the webhost's MySQL server.

Please help. This is my first ever post on any site. Don't know how it works.

Azmo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned nu

Post by Azmo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 am

Since your database is already created, see if this method works better for you: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/40/132/
If I give you an outside solution, I have no affiliation with that product. I may use it, but that is the end of the relationship.

harmryel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned nu

Post by harmryel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Azmo wrote:Since your database is already created, see if this method works better for you: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/40/132/
Hey, this seems to confuse me even more.

:(

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”