Cant find articles in 1.6

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
asgllc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Cant find articles in 1.6

Post by asgllc » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 pm

I am somewhat new to joomla. I have a live site where I post informational articles but I am working on learning more about joomla with the aim to build a site that will have some information available to the public and a large amount of information available to paid subscribers. As I have been going through articles and experimenting I have stumbled across an issue I haven't been able to figure out. Using the fruit shop site that comes with joomla I have tinkered with limiting access at various stages. I have run in to some errors with the limited access features that appear to be inconsistent but think I may use the redirect as a temporary get around for now...my main problem is that there are some articles that I can't find where they are located in the back office. The articles in the fruit encyclopedia which can be reached through the letters at the bottom of the screen. I do not see the articles anywhere in the joomla back office to set access permissions, and I would also like the letters to remain at the bottom of the article for easy linking back and forth.
Can someone point me to where the stuff is located and what can be done to add the links on all the encyclopedia page footers? ??? Please?

asgllc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Cant find articles in 1.6

Post by asgllc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:11 am

Well I finally found them. I found a thread that commented on how articles were stored and then went into phpmyadmin and found where it was stored there and then found it in the back office using the file system information. The articles were found in the contact section. My thought now is that this does not really seem like the intuitive place to put something like this and now I am wondering what the rationale was of the contributors for placing them there? I am hoping there is a good explanation for it that I can learn from otherwise...what the heck? ;) :pop
Any insights into this would be appreciated, including if there was no insight.

Phera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Cant find articles in 1.6

Post by Phera » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:55 pm

This was done so all the articles (in this case fruits) could be easily placed into a alphabetical order, like an address book, and all having the same layout or format.

To achieve the same with "normal" articles you could create 26 categories and post each item (or each fruit) to the correct category. You would also need to make sure that your modules that are to be shown are enabled for each and every addition you make to any of these articles. If using an "address book" from the contacts component, you only need to enable these modules for the menu-link pointing to the contacts (or your fruit-address book) and they show for each item in it.

As far as I can see, this "address book" of things, whether it be fruits or a glossary of terms, could save some time when creating short-ish entries that are supposed to be ordered alphabetical.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”