I am Newbie

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
joseprincely
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I am Newbie

Post by joseprincely » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 am

Hi! I am Newbie here.. No Profile customization opened. No signature, No avatar settings and cannot find the answers in FAQ also... Need Help...

wajid tareen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: I am Newbie

Post by wajid tareen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Greetings..
Whats the Question??????
Facing difficulties is not a achievement but finding its simple solution is called genius

joseprincely
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joseprincely » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I want to know why Profile customization such as setting avatar, signature are not opened to me!

wajid tareen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wajid tareen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

because your number of posts is less than 10.
Facing difficulties is not a achievement but finding its simple solution is called genius

rpj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: I am Newbie - for attention of Moderators

Post by rpj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 am

Can you explain why the forum management has decided to close signatures and avatars to new users until they reach ten posts?

Signatures are a good place to put repeating information like system, software versions and links to sites. At the moment I have to write them into each email - and sometimes forget. Would it not make everyones lives easier if new members were encouraged to use the signature panel for this pupose and get them (us) into good habits early?

As for avatars, most of the time they are a bit of fluff, but for some people they help identify their posts in a stream of text. This may not seem important to people who are familiar with the forum layout and used to combing screens full of code. But people with visual impairment, English as a second language who have to use the mainly English forums, and those with 'charatcter rceognition issues (dyslexia et al) a picture is a lot easier than a small text string.

Also, by setting the bar at ten posts, are you not encouraging new members to artificially build up their postings?

I understand that signatures and avatars use system resources, but surely this cannot be a serious problem these days.

Interested to hear your views.

Thanks - RPJ

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: I am Newbie - for attention of Moderators

Post by brad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:25 pm

rpj wrote:Can you explain why the forum management has decided to close signatures and avatars to new users until they reach ten posts?

Signatures are a good place to put repeating information like system, software versions and links to sites. At the moment I have to write them into each email - and sometimes forget. Would it not make everyones lives easier if new members were encouraged to use the signature panel for this pupose and get them (us) into good habits early?

As for avatars, most of the time they are a bit of fluff, but for some people they help identify their posts in a stream of text. This may not seem important to people who are familiar with the forum layout and used to combing screens full of code. But people with visual impairment, English as a second language who have to use the mainly English forums, and those with 'charatcter rceognition issues (dyslexia et al) a picture is a lot easier than a small text string.

Also, by setting the bar at ten posts, are you not encouraging new members to artificially build up their postings?

I understand that signatures and avatars use system resources, but surely this cannot be a serious problem these days.

Interested to hear your views.

Thanks - RPJ
Unfortunately, this is a necessary side affect of the level of abuse we (and many other large online forums) experience. Don't worry too much, if you are here to stay, you'll reach 10 posts soon enough and be able to use these features.

Thanks for understanding.

rpj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Lesser of two evils I suppose. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me anyway.

Cheers - RPJ (5 down 5 to go)
Joomla 2.5 / MySQL5 / PHP 5.2 / Apache
Windows7 / Firefox 3.6 (usual browser)

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”