JUpgrade for 1.5 to 1.7 migration

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
masantner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JUpgrade for 1.5 to 1.7 migration

Post by masantner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

I must say, JUpgrade worked very well migrating from 1.5 to 1.7. What was particularly attractive was the creation of a completely separate directory for the new upgraded site. It allowed me to make sure that everything worked right before putting the 1.7 site online.
So... after all the bad things I may have said (or thought) about JUpgrade, I take them back.

A few notes though:
*I didn't install 3rd party mods and plugins with JUpgrade, rather installed them after the upgrade was completed. Seemed to make the final site operate a bit cleaner.
*Be aware that Sections are not used in 1.6/1.7 - and Sections become Categories and Categories become subcategories. This may mess up how articles are displayed.
*If you use a template software (such as Artisteer) you'll need to go through each of your menu items and make sure that the locations are where they're supposed to be.
I used JUpgrade to install the templates and used "Keep Original Locations" yet the template wasn't migrated and the locations were from the default template used with Joomla!.
Overall the migration was painless... just took a bit of time to make sure everything was correct (about a day and a half).

Don't fear JUpgrade :-)

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”