Convert WordPress Template to Joomla

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
infamousrobby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Convert WordPress Template to Joomla

Post by infamousrobby » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:44 am

I have a great WordPress template but I use Joomla! Is their a way to convert this WP template?? Thanks!!! :)

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Convert WordPress Template to Joomla

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I was able to convert a Joomla template to another CMS so the answer is yes, you should be able to use the WP template.

It requires you to manually recode the WP template to Joomla's specifications so Joomla knows where to insert its contents.

Read: http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Creatin ... 1_template

There will be some work in stripping out WP's tags and organizing the support files (images, css, js, etc) into folders per the Joomla document. It may seem like a lot of work but should be worth it if you really want to use the WP template.

Note: The conversion process could be a lot of work and is a whole lot easier if you are familiar with web site design. If you are a beginner then you should seek assistance - probably outside of these forums.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

infamousrobby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by infamousrobby » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:26 pm

I does sound like a ton of work! But I love this template, its what I have been looking for.

I am a noob with web design, but I have been able to absorb the info well so far. Thank you for the info!!

joomfriend
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomfriend » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 pm

It's not worth spending time on template Conversion (WordPress-Joomla). I've once tried it and everything was just missed up. There are tons of free templates on the internet. Just grab one of them and make your life easier.

Anyway, in addition to the link that was given by SFGolfer on "Tutorial:Creating a basic Joomla! template", here is another good Template Tutorial I found while searching the internet for this template conversion:

tobacamp.com/tutorial/5-easy-steps-converting-html-template-to-joomla-template/

Hope it helps somebody!
- https://www.adelnipet.com: Adelni Pet - Your Social Pet Network
- https://www.egliseprimitive.org: Christian Website

mkclntn71
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mkclntn71 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I agree with joomfriend, it's not worth spending time on conversion. try to start a new one.

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 pm

mkclntn71 wrote:I agree with joomfriend, it's not worth spending time on conversion. try to start a new one.
I agree that there is a lot of time involved in converting a template. However, the time spent may be worth the investment if you really like the template. In my case, it was worth the time and I learned a lot in the process. Starting from scratch may not be an option for those of us who are "graphically challenged".
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

dacharles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dacharles » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

If you want to make the conversion, the first thing is to know how to create a basic joomla template, you also need to know the css and html structure of your WP theme. It may need time, but again you will learn from the process.

LKC32
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LKC32 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 am

It takes a lot of technical knowledge to convert the WP theme to Joomla. If you really need the theme, you might consider hiring someone to do it for you.

jorolo87
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jorolo87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 am

Like LKC32 already said, I think that it i rather hard to convert WP theme to Wordpress format, I guess it would be better for you to buy or download template made for Joomla.
http://theperfecttoys.com/ - My First Web Experiment, Dont Laugh :)

mikulasmanko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikulasmanko » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 am

I tried to convert Wordpress theme to Joomla, but it was in vein, anbody could point me to a great tutorial?

romadoma
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by romadoma » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 am

The conversion is possible, but it needs a lot of work and time. I've found, anyway, a good tutorial here : http://www.readactor.com/tutorials/word ... -template/

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”