Login module without create account feature?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
c0nfus3ds0ul
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Login module without create account feature?

Post by c0nfus3ds0ul » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 am

Hi, the requirement given to me by my superiors was to have a site that had a login functionality, but yet, users are only allowed to have an account when they are confirmed to be members.

So, how is this done? Basically, my organisation has several heads, which are in charge of clusters of members.

They were supposed to submit details of all the members to me to manually input into the site's database through the user manager function.

Their username is preset to their unique email address, and a default password is given to them, where they can change upon login.

But, to have this system in place, i cannot have visitors creating accounts on the fly without my knowledge, using the create account feature.

Is there a way to disable the create account feature in the login module?

Or, is there another login module out there that disables it?

Regards,
Isaac. ;)

c0nfus3ds0ul
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Login module without create account feature?

Post by c0nfus3ds0ul » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm

SOLVED!

As i was exploring my administration functions, i realised that i could disable this setting in the global configuration settings.

Regards,
Isaac.

robwm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robwm » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am

For those of you that could use a little more information, these are the steps to remove the Create an Account link which is part of the Login module.

1) Goto Global Configuration
2) Click the System link
3) Under User Settings, look for Allow User Registration.
4) Select No
5) Click Save

When you go back to your site, you will see that the link no longer appears. Thanks a lot for your help, c0nfus3ds0ul!

Rob

kaavs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kaavs » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:15 am

thanks a ton Rob.

Cheers,
Kaavs

Former
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Former » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:12 am

Is there a way to disable the create an account link in the LOGIN module without disabling the global registration?

I ask this because the Create an Account link in the login module points to the Joomla registration, but I have JomSocial installed also and I need every user to register through the Jomsocial and fill out all the necessary profile information.

kaavs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kaavs » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:43 am

Former wrote:Is there a way to disable the create an account link in the LOGIN module without disabling the global registration?

I ask this because the Create an Account link in the login module points to the Joomla registration, but I have JomSocial installed also and I need every user to register through the Jomsocial and fill out all the necessary profile information.
You could disable Joomla Registrationfirstly, http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ation/1236

And use JoomSocial registration. (Im not sure if Joomsocial has a default registration module).

If it doesn't you could use a customized Login Module like YooLogin Module, http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ation/4421

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers,
Kaavs

Former
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Former » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Kaavs, thanks for the reply. When I disable the Joomla registration, the Jomsocial registration gets disabled as well.

Utech22
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Utech22 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 pm

It's a good things that I searched and came upon this thread, hence I didn't have to make a similar post.

Thanks guys.

silkweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silkweb » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:29 pm

??? I disabled the registration as indicated above but it still appears. Can someone advise how I can remove it - it must be another module that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

leemiller
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by leemiller » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 am

depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Goto: Modules-> Mod_Login-> tmpl -> default.php

Then remove the section:

Code: Select all

<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>
http://getfirebug.com/ Inspect HTML and modify style and layout in real-time - Get FireBug

ikramniaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ikramniaz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 am

2) Click the System link
4) Select No
5) Click Save

caloocan6th
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by caloocan6th » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm

robwm wrote:For those of you that could use a little more information, these are the steps to remove the Create an Account link which is part of the Login module.

2) Click the System link
4) Select No
5) Click Save

When you go back to your site, you will see that the link no longer appears. Thanks a lot for your help, c0nfus3ds0ul!

Rob
Thanks for this!

By the way, how can I do this?

I want new users to be able to register but I don't want them to be able to automatically validate and activate their account. I want to have control to which account I activate.

Thanks in advance,

caloocan6th

TikTok
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TikTok » Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm

leemiller wrote:depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Then remove the section:

<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
</li>
Hi Lee,

I tried this, but the module still shows the link. If I rename the mod_login folder, it doesn't load the login module ( as expected ) , but changing any code in the default.php file doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I having a DFU moment :)

TikTok
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TikTok » Mon May 23, 2011 2:50 pm

TikTok wrote:
leemiller wrote:depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Then remove the section:

<li>
</li>
Hi Lee,

I tried this, but the module still shows the link. If I rename the mod_login folder, it doesn't load the login module ( as expected ) , but changing any code in the default.php file doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I having a DFU moment :)

Hi again,

All sorted, I fixed the problem using a template override :-)

ikeyaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ikeyaro » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 am

TikTok can you explain what you did please? I'm trying to hide Register text :)

Thanks

dalanam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalanam » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes, please post what steps you took. These forums become useless when the solution is not listed. It's just a lot of dead ends with no help, answers or steps to solve the issue. Please post your steps so you can help others having the same problem. :-\

Adnoctum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Adnoctum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 am

Then remove the section:

<li>
</li>
Thanks a lot mate!
dalanam wrote:Yes, please post what steps you took. These forums become useless when the solution is not listed. It's just a lot of dead ends with no help, answers or steps to solve the issue. Please post your steps so you can help others having the same problem. :-\
The steps are you go to the file that is mentioned above and what i did is i left the above section with comments. Hence:

<!--<li>/* 
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&view=register' ); ?>">
</li>
<?php endif; ?>
*/ -->

dalanam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalanam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:53 pm

That step actually did not work for me - well, not by itself at least.

The reason why it would not work for me is because there was a module in the template that was overriding the mod_login under modules.

Once that entire module was removed, I was able to link the "Create an Account" to my Chronoforms registration form and/or remove the link.

muigaisammy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by muigaisammy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

You can easily disable "create account" on front end in joomla 1.7 by doing the following:

1. Login to joomla 1.7 backend
2. Go to users and click user manager
3. click the option tab on the top right
4. go to allow user registration and select NO
5. save and close

you are done

dalanam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalanam » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 am

That only works if you want to disable it COMPLETELY. I needed it functioning but not visible because if you disable it then the Chronoforms form I created to serve as the registration would not work. Regardless, I got it working.

willkey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willkey » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:19 pm

ARRRRRGGGGG! HELP!

I have a site using Joomla 1.5.25 and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I unpublished, and even went so far as to delete the modules-->mod_login from my site (after backing it up of course) and the thing is still showing. My reason for doing this is because I noticed when I want to remove the "Register" text from the page, it still showed after following the instructions above.

Can someone take a peek at it?

http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/index.php

Below the fold, on the right, is a module in the user8 position that says, "Wholesaler Login" - click that and you'll see what I mean.

The modules-->mod_login folder is not there on the server! And I double checked the templates folder, and there are no overrides in there!!!

Thanks for any quick help!

Adnoctum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Adnoctum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

willkey wrote:ARRRRRGGGGG! HELP!

I have a site using Joomla 1.5.25 and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I unpublished, and even went so far as to delete the modules-->mod_login from my site (after backing it up of course) and the thing is still showing. My reason for doing this is because I noticed when I want to remove the "Register" text from the page, it still showed after following the instructions above.

Can someone take a peek at it?

http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/index.php

Below the fold, on the right, is a module in the user8 position that says, "Wholesaler Login" - click that and you'll see what I mean.

The modules-->mod_login folder is not there on the server! And I double checked the templates folder, and there are no overrides in there!!!

Thanks for any quick help!
Hey mate,

you edited the wrong mod. The one you need to edit is at :

components/com_user/views/login/tmpl/default_login.php.

find the following code:

<!--<li>
		<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&view=register' ); ?>">
	</li>--!>
and make the comments as i did.

Peace.

P.S. Which slider do you use there?

willkey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willkey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:20 pm

i love you thank you!!! i thought i was going nuts!

which slider are you talking about? the home page slideshow? i think it's a JoomlArt one.

landysaccount
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by landysaccount » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm

This helped me a lot.

Great post!!!

jdimaging1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jdimaging1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 am

I want the create and account to be in the login module, but I am wondering if there is any way to have it hidden so when there is a valid user account needed I can just send them an email with the link to the create an account page, is this possible?

Also when you talk about editing components/com_user/views/login/tmpl/default_login.php will this not be overwritten when there is a new Joomla update?

indra_jaya89
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by indra_jaya89 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

hmm I'm trying to remove the register link also, but I couldn't follow steps above, btw I'm using joomla 2.5.9, would that make any difference?

kate_ee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kate_ee » Mon May 27, 2013 9:47 am

dalanam wrote:That step actually did not work for me - well, not by itself at least.

The reason why it would not work for me is because there was a module in the template that was overriding the mod_login under modules.

Once that entire module was removed, I was able to link the "Create an Account" to my Chronoforms registration form and/or remove the link.
Hi Dalanam,

Have you solved the above problem? I have the same trouble here. :(

Regards,
K

dimis164
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dimis164 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm

indra_jaya89 wrote:hmm I'm trying to remove the register link also, but I couldn't follow steps above, btw I'm using joomla 2.5.9, would that make any difference?
Navigate to Users User Manager then click on User Manager. Once in User Manager Screen, click on 'Options' Toolbar button to show the pop up window, as in image above. Click to fill bubble next to Allow user registration, then click save.
More information here: http://docs.joomla.org/Disabling_user_registration

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”