joomla 1.6-3 menu manager>menu items > ordering

The support for Joomla 2.5 ended on December 31, 2014. Possible bugs in Joomla 2.5 will not be patched anymore. This forum has been closed. Please update your website to Joomla 3.x

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
cordnor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

joomla 1.6-3 menu manager>menu items > ordering

Post by cordnor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:26 pm

in menu manager>menu items > ordering the buttins do not move lines up or down but conform changes

deleted user

Re: joomla 1.6-3 menu manager>menu items > ordering

Post by deleted user » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm not having this issue in the current version of the code. I can't remember if the bug report submitted already to the tracker has been closed out or not, but it had been reported previously.

bonaventure
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bonaventure » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 pm

After clicking the "Rebuild" button (near the top right of the screen), I was able to move menu items up or down. I also noticed that the field in jos_menu is appropriately named "ordering," so you can do a manual override in a pinch. I'm not sure if the same thing could have been accomplished with the "save order" button.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 am

Before reordering you need to sort by order. After reordering you need to click the save order button.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

carden
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by carden » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 pm

I am running J1.6.3. Ordering is not working at the menu item root level. When a new menu item is created at the root level it defaults to the last position in the root. The up button will not move it to a higher position. I tried entering an order position and clicking the save order button but it did not move.
I tried clicking the rebuild button and it moved from the last position to position 1 but the down button will not move it down the order and entering the desired order number and clicking save order also does not move the item. Any suggestions?

P.S.

I have no difficulty moving menu items up or down within any other level other than the root.

psychopsi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by psychopsi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:15 pm

I had the exact same problem this morning.

I created all the menu items in order to start with. Then today, adding a new menu item and changing the ordering had no effect.

Sorting by order, making a change, and saving--did not work. The order would be the same and look correct in the menu manager, but be completely wrong on the live site.

When I went to the jos_menu table, every value under 'ordering' was set to 0.

After updating manually, the menu reflected the right order in both the menu manager and live.

tread77
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tread77 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 pm

My issue is that after a week or so of being the correct order the menu randomly reverts back to the exact same incorrect order. It does this after many log-ins and no specific changes on my part of the front or back-end. (It keeps moving my Home menu item, to the second to last position on the Main Menu.)

tomzio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomzio » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi,

Have the same problem with menu items. Once I ordered them and saved, i've pushed rebuild button by accident and the order of manu items has changed. I couldn't move down in the menu manager menu item that become first on the list after rebuild. The only way to move it down was to attach it temporary as a sub menu item to any other menu item and then reorder other items. Later, when all the items was on its predicted place a have made mentioned sub menu to main one again and placed it on 5th place.
Everything was good but after few days I've noticed that my menu item order is the same like after rebuild button action.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

mattbaylor
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mattbaylor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Does the same on 1.6.4. My problems only started after hitting that Rebuild button. The Home item randomly shifts and it seems the only buttons to move it that work are sending the stuff above it down.
JED Team Manager
This is an object-oriented system. If we change anything, the users object.
Unsolicited forum PM's get binned. Please use the forum or Help Desk.

SOAMJENA
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SOAMJENA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:26 am

I dont see the MOVE option in the Menu Manager.

Where did it vanish ?
Web Design, eCommerce and Software Development
Joomla Premium Extensions,Templates and Support Packages

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm

You always need to sort before moving stuff around and then you need to save your new ordering. Make sure you click that little disk icon.

You should only use rebuild if you think you have a serious problem; it will indeed change the ordering (though not the location of anything in your menus or the ids).
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

bop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bop » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:49 am

I have seen this in 1.7 version too and i have found that if you try and push a menu item up the tree structure it doesn't work. BUT if you push the menu's in the downward direction it does. It is an odd bug i believe, but you can move them, just have to think about how you are going to get them all where you want them by only moving them down. Make sure you save when you are done then clean out your cache.

I hope this helps someone get themselves out of situation. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

This definitely a bug. And I can't move them down either. It's really annoying :(.

Edit: Even if I change the ordering in the database, the wrong order is displayed in the frontend.
Edit 2: For me it appeared to be a Jupgrade bug: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2572561

092098jvm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by 092098jvm » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:06 pm

I have the same problem with v1.7.2 but the rebuild solves it and doesn't change the order of the menu. I also don't have to save the order if I use the 'move up/down' buttons.

Maxxamum
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Maxxamum » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 pm

This is weird but in Modules manager I clicked 'ordering' and all the numbers were = '1'. I left 'Main' to = 1 but changed the menu item under that to = '2' etc. Once the numbers were sequential (in my case 1 through 6) the up/down arrows became functional. I saved and it all worked. Joomla 1.7.3

heavymark
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heavymark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Same issue in Joomla 2.5.1.

Used jUpgrade to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5. In the Main Menu, the home link would always appear at the bottom of the list. Entering a number, or using arrows and clicking save, nor doing rebuild worked.

Looking in the database jos_menu, the root item was missing data it appears.

I created a new homepage link set it as the default and deleted the old one and this resolved the issue.

I believe the issue for me at least to be an issue with the latest version of jUpgrade extension.

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Bug Reporting”