Discuss Joomla 2.5 Beta 1 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Discuss Joomla 2.5 Beta 1 Released

Post by aemiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 am

I did an upgrade to one of my sites on localhost. The first effort ended with a php error. I deleted that directory and started over. The second time worked well (although the main menu module position came up wrong. After I changed the module position, all is working flawlessly.)

For what it's worth - for the upgrade, I downloaded the 2.5_beta, unpacked the file, copied all the files and directories into the current site, deleted the installation directory and made the necessary changes in the configuration.php file.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 am

I did an upgrade to one of my sites on localhost. The first effort ended with a php error. I deleted that directory and started over. The second time worked well (although the main menu module position came up wrong. After I changed the module position, all is working flawlessly.)

For what it's worth - for the upgrade, I downloaded the 2.5_beta, unpacked the file, copied all the files and directories into the current site, deleted the installation directory and made the necessary changes in the configuration.php file.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 am

Lest anyone be tempted to use in a production setting against all advice, Kunena does not yet seem compatible with the J2.5b.

Fatal Error: Class 'JToolBarHelper' not found in components/com_kunena/toolbar.kunena.html.php on line 33

Otherwise, this seem a confident step forward to the LTR. Many thanks for all the hard work.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:22 pm

abernyte - that's a wise reminder.

jabbott777
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jabbott777 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I upgraded to 2.5 from 1.7 this weekend. The upgrade was flawless. However, this morning we discovered it is stripping out the Read More code when it saves an article. I am using JCE. I was using .17, but this morning after the problem was discovered I upgraded to .19. No change though, the Read More is still being removed.

jabbott777
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jabbott777 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:40 pm

To fix the Kunena bug, listed above, modify:
administrator/components/com_kunena/toolbar.kunena.html.php

Change line number 31 to read:
if (version_compare(JVERSION, '1.6', '>1.7')) {

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:09 pm

irene wrote: Where should one report a (potential) "backwards compatability issue"?
On the CMS Issue Tracker

talks44
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by talks44 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:43 am

I haven't used the beta yet, but I look forward to the release of the stable version. I came here to learn about Joomla as I've only used 1.5 and the info for this release looks great :)

Thanks and congrats go out to everyone who helped with this ^^

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

looks promising
i've made some tests with some 1.6 extensions and seems all is working ...
now i'm playing with the new Joomla Platform
:pop
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

jabbott777
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jabbott777 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm

JEvents seems not compatible. You can enter events, but clicking on an event in the front end generates the error:
JView: :getName() : Cannot get or parse class name.

Also with further investigation I realize JCE 2.0.x strips all html code out of an article when saving.

Joomlatools EXTman is also incompatible.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 pm

I have found a few incompatible extensions, Kunena, Jvotesystem, Phoca Gallery. All reported to the appropriate Devs with the error message.
They all seem mostly minor issues to my untrained eye and no more than expected with any major release in beta
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

romacron
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

searching for the JImage developer

Post by romacron » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 am

Hello,

can someone tell me the repository or the developer of the Jimage Class
i don't found him again

thx for connecting

infuriated
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by infuriated » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Has anyone figured out a way to get Jomsocial or easyblog to work?

technoshaman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by technoshaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Is Joomla 2.5 going to work with Joomfish?

I have several multilingual sites, and I cannot use any version later than Joomla 1.5 as Joomfish does not work with them.

I really see no purpose releasing ANY Joomla version that does not work with Joomfish, as the finest feature of Joomla, its superiority for Multilingual sites has been broken for more than a year now. Is there any useful reason why Joomla and Joomfish are not developed strictly together?
22nd century Shamanism
http://www.antostm.com

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 pm

This is a question best asked of the joomfish team as it is not code produced by the joomla project
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

technoshaman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by technoshaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:57 pm

The Joomfish team say to ask it here. Because the changes in Joomla since Joomla 1.5 break multilingual websites, destroying the main reason why I use Joomla. I have hundreds of documents beautifully formatted for Joomla 1.5 on 6 language websites.

The team developing Joomla independently from this functionality would best say why they are going in an independent direction. The Joomfish team desperately want cooperation, and they are not getting it.

It makes no sense to say Joomfish is separate. Breaking a connection with them breaks the beauty of Joomla as the world's best multilingual website solution.
22nd century Shamanism
http://www.antostm.com

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Joomfish was never part of the core. The project tries to limit backwards compatibility issues inside one series (1.6, 1.7, 2.5). Joomffish a large and complex component that integrates very deeply with the core. That makes it normal that it takes some time to adapt it to the new Joomla 1.6 APIs. Also, to my knowledge, it's only developed by 2 people and neither is able to work on it full time. Also consider Virtuemart which just got compatible with the 1.6/1.7 series this month - I know enough people who'd say Joomla without Virtuemart is worthless. Needs differ.

I believe Alex indicated that Joomfish is only going to support LTS releases in the future (1.5, 2.5, 3,5) so I'd just wait a bit.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:29 am

Joomla has never been multilingual (1.0 and 1.5) and the Fish was a good solution. Now we finally have a multilingual Joomla!
technoshaman wrote:Breaking a connection with them breaks the beauty of Joomla as the world's best multilingual website solution.
Joomla 1.7 and 2.5 are multilingual itself so no more need for Joomfish. Review please the related forums.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=617&t=583461

@ Realityking: Joomla 1.6 was released on 10 January 2011 which is basically 1 year ago. Says it all. Again Joomla is now multilingual so what justifies the existence for a Joomfish version for the current Joomla range?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:08 pm

The multilingual solution is very different from the one Joomfish provides. Different needs call for different solution. There's still a market for a solution like JoomFish.

Z9iT
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Z9iT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Congratulations for Joomla 2.5.... Eagerly waiting for stable release...

I am directly jumping to Joomla 2.5 from Joomla 1.5 with a fresh install, right from scratches...
I am loving all the features included in the core install... ;D ;D

Just wanted to ask one thing, will Joomla 1.7 Frontend templates work with 2.5 ???
I wanna specifically know bout YOO Theme (i have already posted this on their form aswell)

Its just that i tried to install two 1.7 templates that i have, via extension manager.
One template just works perfect,
but the other shows some error line (which i dont remember right now) visible when one enters that template management.....

Rest is working perfect.... I havent installed any external component/ module so far...
...... but still loving 2.5 :) :)
http://z9it.com....Bringing the best of www, in a gist...

over
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by over » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Some great additions to the CMS. Thanks! :)
I think you should see all 3. party extensions as not compatible before you or the developer(s) have tested them. In some cases it's also postiv as it shows that the extension is using the Joomla Platform. This has changed as we know.

A special thank to the developer(s) of the captcha solution. Without testing I think it's easy to integrate to other extensions. It should also be possible to add other captchas beside reCaptcha. What I now need is a general Comments solution that could be used as easily in 3. party solutions.

But! Where is the promised official solution for data transfer from J! 1.5 to J! 2.5? Will JUpgrade be THE solution or is something in coming?

And remember Joomla! is illegal in the European Union as it doesn't handle the settings of cookies. Any solution in sight?

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm

over wrote:And remember Joomla! is illegal in the European Union as it doesn't handle the settings of cookies. Any solution in sight?
The whole situation is rather unclear. As long as you don't actually track visitors I think you're reasonable safe for now. Over time the rules will evolve and Joomla will see what it takes.

over
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by over » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:03 pm

realityking wrote: The whole situation is rather unclear. As long as you don't actually track visitors I think you're reasonable safe for now. Over time the rules will evolve and Joomla will see what it takes.
No it's not unclear. It is illegal and very clear! What is unclear are the konsequences. I'm trying to get controll over the session cookie but I think I do not have the technical skill to find the solution. For the language cookie I have a solution using the session (session cookie ;) It though needs a core hack) and otherwise using a login (1.6+) for guests to activate any "cookie extensions". Compare the available Cookie Grab extension.

A absolute no go is the (european!) Beez template that sets cookies/local storage and sofar I found no solution to control this. Yes! local starage is also illegal.

Discussions can be found in the Joomla Forums.

over
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by over » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:11 pm

About Multilingual Joomla in the 1.6 - 2.5 series.
leolam wrote:......Now we finally have a multilingual Joomla! ..... Joomla 1.7 and 2.5 are multilingual itself so no more need for Joomfish.
@Leo In what world are you living? It has been official stated that the Joomla Multilingual solution is NOT a replacement of 3. party solutions like Joom!Fish. I though think it is, in the long run.
realityking wrote: I believe Alex indicated that Joomfish is only going to support LTS releases in the future (1.5, 2.5, 3,5) so I'd just wait a bit.
Yes I think this is the right approach as long as we do not know anything about the development paths. Joom!Fish will, if the developers wants, have a position in the Joomla! world. At least it would be a plus for extensions not aplying multilingual support as default.

Sorry! I do not really like that the multilingual solutions is completely in the hand of the "French Connection". They are doing a Great jobb :) but some ideas from a multilingual and not a singlelingual country could help getting better solutions.

realityking
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by realityking » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 pm

over wrote:
No it's not unclear. It is illegal and very clear! What is unclear are the konsequences. I'm trying to get controll over the session cookie but I think I do not have the technical skill to find the solution. For the language cookie I have a solution using the session (session cookie ;) It though needs a core hack) and otherwise using a login (1.6+) for guests to activate any "cookie extensions". Compare the available Cookie Grab extension.
Nothing is clear until it has been tested in a court of law. As a starting point I recommend this essay from the Article 29 group: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protec ... 188_en.pdf

Especially section 3 "Some clarifications regarding cookies and consent" is well worth a read.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Please remember that cookies which are "essential to the functionality of the site" are exempt from this regulation so that would include for example cookies used to remember a language or cookies used for a shopping cart
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

over
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by over » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 pm

It was not my I intention to start a new discussion about cookies/local storage in this path.
You say a law is not a law until someone got a punishement.
I say a EU-law is a law as soon as it is accepted by the individual country parliament. What we do not know is the konsequence if you break it.
But... Please discuss this in other topics/forums.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 pm

The consequences in the UK are quite clear.
A breach of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive)(Amendment) Regulations 2011 in relation to cookies, incurs a civil penalty of up to £500,000, or nearly €600,000.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 pm

brian wrote:...are exempt from this regulation so that would include for example cookies used to remember a language or ...
I know this is not the place but the recent ICO guidance suggests otherwise, that the cookies used to remember a users preferences are unlikely to be considered "strictly necessary for the provision of a service explicitly requested by the user".
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations ... tions.ashx

over
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by over » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:41 pm

I didn't want to add a new comment about the cookie problem in this theme but as abernyte has a clear example . It is obvious that it might come to a couple of € if you dont't stick to the regulation.
abernyte wrote:The consequences in the UK are quite clear.
A breach of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive)(Amendment) Regulations 2011 in relation to cookies, incurs a civil penalty of up to £500,000, or nearly €600,000.
brian wrote:Please remember that cookies which are "essential to the functionality of the site" are exempt from this regulation so that would include for example cookies used to remember a language or cookies used for a shopping cart
Yes Brian, this is completely true. It does though not explicitely include any exceptions about language. It do about shopping carts. I can't explain why but that's the regulation. Nothing is mentioned about allowing session cookies.

My guess is that you can avoid the £500,000 if you only have the Joomla cookie set before accepting any other cookies. But thereafter you should use some extensionns to fix the rest. I have my owne solutions but you can find the Cookie Grab solution in the JED.

Return to “Announcements Discussions”