Edit an article in frontend - Invalid Form

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jean82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Edit an article in frontend - Invalid Form

Post by jean82 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I try to edit an article from the frontend. The article appears in edit mode, it loads much the publisher. So far all is going well ... the problem occurs when you save (click on "Save" button) of the article, there is an alert that displays "Invalid Form" and nothing happens, no errors and editing is still open. The "Cancel" button works fine ... The problem occurs in any browser.

I already posted a question on this (link: http://www.sarki.ch/jce/forum/11-jce-et ... rticle-en- frontend-ie-erreur) I could solve the problem (with the using Mihaly) by updating the version of JCE. But the problem only occurs in IE 7 / 8 for my old post.

These last time, I was doing my tests with the superuser (because there was no problem), once the functionality in place, I've redone with other users (admin, editor, ..) and I 'have the same problem again, so I do not know exactly how long it has begun ...

Before writing this post, I started by checking whether a new version of JCE was available, which was the case (v2.0.10). I installed it and disconnect / reconnect, it still does not work. Then I rebooted the machine and tried it on another, but nothing changed ...

I'm not sure the problem comes from JCE. I found that the categories are not loaded when editing with users who are not part of the group "SuperUser" ... or to alert javacipt "Invalid form". Going to see the files in com_content and by causing a print_r of the data it uses to form the "catid" is just ...

I use Joomla 1.7.0 with JCE 2.0.10 in win7 64bit

Thank you in advance for your help

jean82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Edit an article in frontend - Invalid Form

Post by jean82 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 am

Re,

For those who encounter the same problem:

Ultimately the problem was not the same as I had met, it was due to rights management, not the editor. We had to give permission, the group that is in the access level of the class, create a class in order to select a category in edit mode ... otherwise the category list is blank and create the error "Invalid form" as this field is required.

g24n7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by g24n7 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Jean82
So you fixed this issue?

Because I have exactly the same issue.

SuperUser can log into front end and save changes to an edited article, but anything below cannot.
Specifically, they cannot because the categories dropdown is empty and when hitting "save" it returns an "invalid form" error...

I notice there was the same error being followed on JoomlaCode.org, but was never resolved.
(here http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=23831)

I tried to follow your follow-up... about it being a rights management issue, which makes sense I guess.

However I cannot seem to fix, and admittedly I am quite new to Joomla.

I have created new editors, given them editing access to all categories, and even directly to specific test articles. I have created new groups, and test users for editors and publishers... all to no avail.

I guess I am missing something... maybe it is your "create a class in order to select a category" statement.
I cant seem to find anything to do with classes... although I am using 1.6 NOT 1.7 as you are.

Any clues, anyone?
Thanks
G

jean82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jean82 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:48 am

Hi g24n7

Yes I'm fixed the issue.

I put rights "create" permission in the category (edit category panel) for groups who are in the view access levels of this category. Then it is necessary that the user is in these groups.

I do not think that version 1.6 or 1.7 is different on this point.

Hope this can help, tell me if you still have problems. (for me it was a rights issue)

rogerjump
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rogerjump » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:24 am

HI guys

Hope you can help.

Am an absolute newbie using version 1.7 and have the same problem.

I wanted to use jean82's suggestion ie "put rights "create" permission in the category (edit category panel) for groups who are in the view access levels of this category. Then it is necessary that the user is in these groups."

However i dont know how to, and cant find the relevant buttons/link to click in the category manager.

My Joomla is a fresh installation on my ISP host server where i added a few templates. I have also just deleted the sample data (fruitshope, parks etc) according to John Muelhsens video at www.welcometojoomla.com/ . However i dont think this is the problem but grateful for your advice.

i only edited articles before and it didnt cause any problem. Creating new ones now is the problem

I sent John this query too and awwaiting reply.

Much grateful for any help

RJ

jean82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jean82 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 am

If I understand you are not able to assign the rights to create a category.

For this -> go to Joomla administration ->Content -> Category Manager -> edit your category

In Edit panel of your category, at the bottom (or click on button "set permisssion") you are all permissions setting of each groups on this category -> set allowed for "Create" on your group that you use and save.

(Your group that you are allowed rights to create must be too in the "View access level" that you select for this category and your user must be in this group)

I hope that help you

rogerjump
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rogerjump » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for this Jean

My problem was actually that no category was available for me to assign the article to. The rights itself is OK, I think.

JOhn Mueler has suggested a solution which has resolved this, namely by creating a category in Cat Manager, which then filled the drop down with an option I can click.

The article was then allowed to be created.

I appreciate your help and will note problems with permission in future.

Meanwhile, if you can help me with another problem, I'd be most grateful.

Now that I have created the article (called about us) I can't seem to link it to the menu in the home page so it appears as a tab. I have created the menu item and "about us" appears in the menu manager as a menu item, but the home page just wont show the about us tab.

Any advise on this would be appreciated

thanks lots

RJ

jean82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jean82 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:53 am

I don't know why if your menu display in a tab (may be an another type of menu).

If your menu don't display, check position of module (Menu Extensions -> Module manager)

For create a new menu to load an article, you must be :

- create article (Article manager)
- create you menu and select type of menu (In edit panel -> type -> "Articles" -> "Single Article")
- Always in edit panel of menu, at the right side, select an article and save the menu (check if is published)
- create a module (Type menu) for display your menu on a position into the template or use the actually (menu of exemple) if it's already created.
- Normaly, you menu will be display on frontend

jhb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jhb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Ok. Had same issue here. Based on above, this is what I did to fix:

GOAL
I have a user that I want to be able to edit stories on the front end only.

SET UP
Per a tutorial I am going through:
- I made a new group, not a child of any other group, except under Public.
- I made that new group (which I named Story Editor) have √Edit permissions under the 'Options' button/pop-up page accessed on the User Groups page
- I then went to the tab Users > User Manager > Add New User and made a new user who I assigned to that group with user name, password

ISSUE
Per the problems stated above, when you log in using this new user person, you cannot save because the categories section is causing an error which you cannot fix because there is no Category showing and you cannot select a Category either. I followed tips above and this is the step-by-step, last-thing-you-need-to-do to get Category selection to work, so that this new user (and anyone you subsequently assign to the Story Editor Group) can save changes:

At the top menu bar, go to:

> Content > Category Manager
- click the 'Options' button upper right
- select the 'Permissions' tab
- select the 'Story Editor' group
- under 'Create' select 'Allowed'
- click 'SAVE' at the top of this pop-up panel before closing

I did NOT mess with any Code on any style pages, php, or the Access Levels in the back end, at all.

Thanks for all who posted, this worked for me.

Ironside
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ironside » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm

If this helps, I had the same problem. However I had the problem after migrating from Joomla! 1.5 to Joomla! 2.5. I'm not entirely sure what caused the problem because it's the first time it happened, and I had migrated many sites from 1.5, up to 2.5 without encountering this problem. Anyway, I notice that there was no category when trying to edit articles, this is when the error box appeared. So I simply created a category, assign the article I was editing to it and everything was okay.
Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

http://www.tetraplegicliving.com
http://www.oscarfishlover.com

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”