Show/Hide Page Title - Joomla 2.5

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Show/Hide Page Title - Joomla 2.5

Post by flashpointmm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:13 am

I have just upgraded to 2.5 (well, migrated from 1.5 to 2.5). Everything is running reasonably smoothly (thanks jUpgrade) however I can't for the life of me work out how to disable article titles in my content!

I have the article global settings set to hide, menu item set to hide and the individual article options set to hide, yet STILL the article title appears on every page (except the home page for some unexplained reason!)

I have tried using the shipped Joomla templates as well as the Astisteer generated template I wish to use, and all of them have the same problem.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks,

Tony
Last edited by humvee on Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked as resolved

amythhomas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Show/Hide Page Title

Post by amythhomas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 am

I had to go to the menu item "Home" and hide the "Show Title" in the options. But I am using 1.6. You can give a try. Or you can edit this article and set the params Show Title to off.

flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flashpointmm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 am

I tried your suggestion thanks amy, the featured page is the only page that is behaving itself. It doesn't have any effect on the other pages.

flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flashpointmm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I take it no one else is experiencing this problem! I have tried every option I can think of and can see no possible way to hide an article title in 2.5 despite having Show Title set to Hide in Article Manager and also set to Hide for each individual article.

It's not a template problem as the same thing happens when I set the default to Beez or Atomic.

Can someone PLEASE help?

Joomla 1.5.25
http://www.litchfieldtouristpark.com.au/

Joomla 2.5
http://www.litchfieldtouristpark.com.au/jupgrade/

flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Show/Hide Page Title - Joomla 2.5

Post by flashpointmm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 pm

OK - I've fixed it. I needed to check Hide under Page Display Option in the Menu Manager for each menu item linked to an article.

Which begs the question... why is there a Show Page Heading option under Page Display Options AND and a Show Title option under Article Options in Menu Manager: Edit Menu Item PLUS a Show Title option under Article Manager: Edit Article?

gtuminauskas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gtuminauskas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm

It is in "GLOBAL CONFIGURATION" page.
On the right hand side, you will see "SEO Settings".
On the 5th line you will find: "Include Site Name in Page Titles: [After/Before/None]"

flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flashpointmm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:16 am

No, that's for displaying the site name in the browser tab. I was trying to remover the article (and menu item) name from appearing as the page title. I'm just scratching my head as to why there are so many options to show/hide the same function!

gtuminauskas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gtuminauskas » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 am

Usually it is very handy, whether you want to show one title on all pages (global configuration settings), or different titles on separate pages (optional settings in each and every article/component).

MAD King
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MAD King » Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm

flashpointmm wrote:OK - I've fixed it. I needed to check Hide under Page Display Option in the Menu Manager for each menu item linked to an article.

Which begs the question... why is there a Show Page Heading option under Page Display Options AND and a Show Title option under Article Options in Menu Manager: Edit Menu Item PLUS a Show Title option under Article Manager: Edit Article?

Thank you. It drove me crazy. Why are there so many hide/shows anyway?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am

MAD King wrote:Thank you. It drove me crazy. Why are there so many hide/shows anyway?
To allow for the greatest flexibility of choice. Everyone's requirements are different.

brunowolf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brunowolf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 pm

version 2.5.6 - I think this is a bug - ALL page title instances are switched off, the cache is flushed and still they appear. :eek:
So yet again, how do you turn off pages titles when every place 'show page title' options appear they are set to 'hide'??????

flyboy1957
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by flyboy1957 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I've got global, and individual article title settings set to hide the titles. I'm dealing with the home page right now and want to replace the title of what displays with a graphic. The menu item "home" has no option I can see to hide titles. I've tested with standard joomla template as well is the one I'm using (made with template creator). A solution to this would be appreciated. I've tried all suggestions here and nothing works.

flashpointmm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flashpointmm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 am

Have you set Show Title in Article Options and Show Page Heading in Page Display Options to hide in your menu link options in Menu Manager Flyboy?

flyboy1957
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by flyboy1957 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 pm

flashpointmm wrote:Have you set Show Title in Article Options and Show Page Heading in Page Display Options to hide in your menu link options in Menu Manager Flyboy?

Yes. Show title is set globally, and locally (article level) to hide. Some articles aren't linked to menus so I created a hidden menu as suggested and linked them there and set the title to hide. They still show up on my system.

***update
The titles were showing on the home page that joomla uses as the default when installed. I had not defined my own home page menu item adding one and setting it to default. When I did this and linked it to featured articles the titles stopped displaying. It took me a few minutes to fugure out how to get the layout back (full paragraph then 3 columns below) but now the it's working.

It did not work however, if I used the joomla default "Home" top menu item for the home page menu link.

Muleiolenimi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Muleiolenimi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi All,
Seem to have missed something... My settings are:
  • Articles > Options > Show title = Hide
    Menu manager > Page Display Options> Show Page Heading = No
    Cache cleared regularly
But still cannot remove the title for good.
For example, an article under menu X will display without title, but if the same article is also present on the home page as featured, the title reappears. If I then go the the article by clicking the "read more" link, it disappears. But, the article next to it, formated the same, will display the title even if I click on its "read more" link (which seems very odd, I admit)...
Does anyone know whether this issue has been resolved. If so, could someone summarize the solution to this (without needing to go into the template or css files)? Seems I'm not the only one going bald about it :'(

Thanks and bests

Fridolinx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Fridolinx » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I used the info on this page and mixed it and came up with:

Muleiolenimi wrote:
Articles > Options > Show title = Hide
Menu manager > Page Display Options> Show Page Heading = No

flashpointmm wrote:
"I needed to check Hide under Page Display Option in the Menu Manager for each menu item linked to an article"

Please see under the column "Menu item Type" = Articles>>Single article
Select these items individually and select Page Dispaly options
Set "Show Page Heading"=No

Well thanks to all of you for your inspiration

Karlapigen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Karlapigen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for the thread, I solved my problem as well. I couldn´t get rid of the pagetitel in my Article for the default homepage.

At the menu manager >> menu item >> Page Display option >> Show Page Heading >> no

Regards Karlapigen

simonron
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simonron » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Any chance of a site global, or menu global Page Heading setting option? It is a real pain having to go though all of them - especially when upgrading from J1.x to J2.5+ where for some reason all the page titles get turned off by the upgrade.
Thanks.

vnwebpro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vnwebpro » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Simonro,

Could you explain it clearly?

Clawlessic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Clawlessic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 am

If you change the settings for the menu items you wont have to change them for the articles inside of them.

Hope that helps :-) and else just ask ^^

the apprentice
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by the apprentice » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:38 pm

What about the browser page title, meaning the top/first linkable blue underlined title you get when searching on Google for instance, in Joomla 1.6 I just changed it in the default menu, but in 2.5 it seems is not enough, what is it?

heyvernusa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heyvernusa » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

From every article I've read I've been told to hide the title on a sub featured page I need to go to the "Menu items / Home" > "Article Options" > Show Title - Change to "Use Article Settings" however this option does not exist for me. So I'm not sure what's up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sergejack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sergejack » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 pm

There should be a global setting for menu items "Show Page Heading" option.
I now have to go through all the items to set title to be hidden.

And this happens just after I had to deal with the superb (winkiest wink) multi language capabilities...

dzemaln
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dzemaln » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 pm

You have to navigate to Menu Items, then chose your Menu Link, then click on => Advanced Options => Article Options => Show Title - Here chose "Hide"!!!

Then navigate to => Page Display Options => Show Page Heading - Here chose "NO"

Metzed
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Metzed » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:13 pm

Back up your database before you try this.

I used the following SQL code in phpmyadmin to hide those menu titles across the whole site. Much easier than going through all of them manually.

Code: Select all

update tableprefix_menu set params = replace(params,'show_page_heading":"1','show_page_heading":"0');
If you have problems using it after copying and pasting, then retype the apostrophes and quotation marks.

stuart56
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stuart56 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 am

This worked well for me. Very simple.

http://joomla-and-more.com/2012/03/04/h ... a-article/

Metzed
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Metzed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Sorry, I should have explained my answer above. Where in the SQL is says 'tableprefix_menu' , by this I mean there is a table called _menu with a prefix such as jos to become 'jos_menu' . So change 'tableprefix_menu' in my query to the name of your menu table. That worked for me anyway.

pduke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pduke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Metzed....you rock man!!!
i had hundreds of articles transferred from 1.5 ... all with "Show page heading" at "yes"...
you saved me!! thanks a million

works on Joomla 3.2 .confirmed

jcritz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jcritz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:51 pm

This solved the problem for me...in 2.5.16

Go to menu manger - edit the menu item - under Article Options - Show Title = Use Article Settings

Edwin_S
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Edwin_S » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 am

flashpointmm wrote:OK - I've fixed it. I needed to check Hide under Page Display Option in the Menu Manager for each menu item linked to an article.

Thanks Flashpointmm for posting this!
This has been driving me crazy the whole morning!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”