- In any version of Joomla 1.7 go to Extension Manager
- Here arrived go to Tab "Update"
- In this Tab you will see a button (top right) colored 'green' stating "Purge Cache" Hit that button First since you might see otherwise a message 'no updates available'
- The available updates in Joomla and Extensions will show. Make sure you do Joomla core (it will show Joomla 2.5.0 at this stage) first!.
- Check the box in front of the Joomla 2.5.0 line and hit top right "upgrade"
- Now the system can give you two sorts of output.....A 'successful' message or a lot of errors (do not get afraid or shocked!)
- In Both Cases (!) go to a new Tab you see under the same Extension Manager called "Database" (yes...even if the system states 'successful!'). Now you will either see a message that all is ok or a warning with a list of errors or missing DB entries.
- These we correct now by hitting the "FIX" button located in the Database Tab Top right corner!
If you check now again the Database Tab you will see that all errors have vanished and that it shows now:
This means you have fully upgraded to Joomla 2.5.0! Congrats!Database schema version (in #__schemas): 2.5.0-2012-01-14.
Database [drive]: mysqli.
62 database changes were checked successfully.
13 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.
Note: I you get errors as described on updating to 2.5, and after you have ran the Database – Fix, it may be a good idea to use the "Discover" option on the Extension Manager to install any Extension that was not installed because of the updating error! (thanks Roar!)
When your admin icons show vertical after the upgrade please do a full Purge Cache in your system panel, followed by a FULL cleansing of your browser cache. That will resolve the chaos in your admin panel layout.
When you notice that version info/date/author info are missing from some extensions (for instance "Smart Search") when you review them in the Extension Manager than go to "Manage", click the checkbox in front of the extension and click (in the top right corner) the 'Refresh Cache' button. That will take care of this.
Now only (!) is your system fully upgraded to Joomla 2.5!
If you get a "white-screen" after upgrading to Joomla 2.5 check out the error log in the root directory of your Joomla installation. That will tell you which extension is throwing fatal errors. Disable the extension mentioned in the error log and you have your site back on! (inform the extension developer about the error so he/she can correct!)
Note the version info has been taken out by Joomla-core in admin backend for this version due to a reported little vulnerability in having it hard coded in the admin templates. This function will return in a module most likely in Joomla 2.5.1. You can see the version at this moment under 'System Information' You can install the version information module here: viewtopic.php?f=625&t=691155 (new version module)
Please first make a selection from the list issue: Download and install and publish the plugin from viewtopic.php?f=625&t=691865&p=2730200#p2730200
Happy upgrading! If you have a problem post here on the forum!
Edits are done to add instructions/improvements