Install joomla 2.5 using SQL server db!

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Install joomla 2.5 using SQL server db!

Post by tracta » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello,

so I could read one of the main advantages of version 2.5 is to be possible to install other versions of the database such as SQL server.

However when installing this option did not appear, only the mysql! How do I install this using sql?

TKs in advance

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Install joomla 2.5 using SQL server db!

Post by tuum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am

Step 4 (database) of the installation should have Sqlsrv in the database type drop down.

To install on SQL database, you need to ensure that you have sqlsrv support enabled in your php configuration. If you take a look at your phpinfo, you should see a section called sqlsrv.

On my computer I had to download a new sql dll file, which I loaded via my php.ini file

Code: Select all

extension=php_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc9.dll
Tim Plummer - Tweet @bfsurvey

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:30 am

im going to try again, but like i said before in step 4 only appear mysql.

Tks

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 am

mssql
MSSQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Library version 7.0

Directive Local Value Master Value
mssql.allow_persistent On On
mssql.batchsize 0 0
mssql.compatability_mode Off Off
mssql.connect_timeout 5 5
mssql.datetimeconvert On On
mssql.max_links Unlimited Unlimited
mssql.max_persistent Unlimited Unlimited
mssql.max_procs Unlimited Unlimited
mssql.min_error_severity 10 10
mssql.min_message_severity 10 10
mssql.secure_connection Off Off
mssql.textlimit 1048576 1048576
mssql.textsize 1048576 1048576
mssql.timeout 60 60

i belive i need to reinstall de dll, right?

mika44bzh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mika44bzh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 am

Hi,
I have the same problems before
To solve this problem, I make some modifications to my server :

STEP 1 - Download and install Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... n&id=20098
- Download SQLSRV20.EXE to a temporary directory
- Run SQLSRV20.EXE
- When prompted, enter the path to the PHP extensions directory
- After extracting the files, read the Installation section of the SQLSRV20_Readme.htm file for next steps

STEP 2 - install "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/fr-f ... BED18FE73C

STEP 3 - update your php.ini file
add these lines :
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll

I hope it will help you

mika44bzh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mika44bzh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 am

Note : i have a problem to connect to my SQL server, i don't know for the moment where the problem is ... but, i can see the list with the option "Sqlsrv" ...

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm

My host sayd its not possible to replicate that alteration, but i read above it´s only need to alterate the php.ini, can you confirm that?

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm

i recieved the following anwser of my host:
I only see that MySQL is supported on this page. If you think this is incorrect, please check with Joomla Support to see why MSSQL is not a supported database. As well, the features page you directed me to states:

"If your company has a different type of SQL database, such as MS SQL, then you'd have to make changes to the Joomla software to make it work, which makes updating difficult. Joomla has been rewritten so that different drivers can be written for different versions of SQL databases. Current drivers exist for the MySQL and MS SQL databases, with PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQLite and PDO drivers close to being ready."

Have you written a different driver, as specified, for MS SQL? Please contact Joomla Support if you need further assistance with creating the proper driver as outlined above.
so MS SQL is suported or not?

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 pm

it is possile to force the configuration.php file to use ms sql?
where i can find the script for the ms sql db?

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Yes MS SQL is definately supported by Joomla 2.5, please refer to
http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html

I've had a look at the source code, and I can see that in /installation/models/forms/database.xml, the type for that field is databaseconnection

<field name="db_type" type="databaseconnection"
				id="db_type" class="inputbox"
				label="INSTL_DATABASE_TYPE_LABEL"
				supported="mysql,mysqli,sqlsrv,sqlazure"
				required="true"
				default="mysqli"
				filter="string"
			/> 
This appears to be populating the list of database types using the code in
/libraries/joomla/forms/fields/databaseconnection.php
and this code checks to see which database types are supported by your webserver, and only shows you the ones that will work.

I did a test and disabled in my php.ini

Then I restarted apache and I can now only see mysqli and mysql. I also note that in step 2, the database support shows
Database Support:
(mysql, mysqli)

as opposed to what I saw before
Database Support:
(mysql, mysqli, sqlazure, sqlsrv)

So basically, if you don't see sqlsrv in the list, then I'd say that your php.ini is not configured correctly to load the sql drivers. Although it would be possible to hack the above and force sqlsrv in the list, if your php is not configured correctly, it's not going to work anyway, as it wont be able to find your database and it will just fail on the next step of the installation.

In my case I had to download a new sql driver as the one included in xampp did not work for me. There are several available so you need to load the correct one for your server, which will depend on your php version and whether you need the thread safe version or not. If you google "How to install SQL Server Driver for PHP", you should find some tutorials that will show you how to set it up and where to download the drivers from. Essentially you just download the correct dll file and copy it into C:\xampp\php\ext, then adjust your php.ini to load it.

vickyb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickyb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I followed the instructions and have the following in my PHP.ini file... no luck. this is a windows box. sqlsrv does not show up as an option when installing Joomla 2.5

extension=php_mssql.dll
extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_52_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_52_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc9.dll

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

vickyb wrote:I followed the instructions and have the following in my PHP.ini file... no luck. this is a windows box. sqlsrv does not show up as an option when installing Joomla 2.5

extension=php_mssql.dll
extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_52_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_52_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc9.dll
You shouldn't be loading every sqlsrv extension, just the correct one for your server. For starters, what php version are you using, 5.2 or 5.3? Then you need to determine if you need the thread safe version or not.
You will need to restart php for the change to take effect.

gmjgrs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gmjgrs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am

Greetings everybody!

I've tried so hard to set the joomla 2.5 installation to be on SQL SERVER 2008, yet I haven't been able to achieve it even though i've followed carefully every single step described in this formun!

help me out, SQL server is my only option, eny information regarding this will be really, really appreciated

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 am

gmjgrs wrote:Greetings everybody!

I've tried so hard to set the joomla 2.5 installation to be on SQL SERVER 2008, yet I haven't been able to achieve it even though i've followed carefully every single step described in this formun!

help me out, SQL server is my only option, eny information regarding this will be really, really appreciated
Take a look at phpinfo, which you can do by creating a file with the following:
<?php echo phpinfo(); ?>

You should see a sqlsrv section like screenshot attached. If you don't, then there is something wrong with your php configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tracta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tracta » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am

gmjgrs,

your server is a shared hosted one?

if so you have to talk whit the admin and ask to change the config.

gmjgrs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gmjgrs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Tracta and tuum thanks for replying.

The deal is than I've already checked that the slqsvr is running properly in the php slq native client 10 is installed and everyhting seems to be set up, btw i run my own host so I can change as many settings as I want. Yet no way to get sqlsvr in the list of database step 4 =(

Thanks in advance

duetltd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by duetltd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I have a windows 2003 server running iis 6 with php and mysql installed. been running joomla 1.6 and 1.7 for the past several months, a few oddities but mostly works great.

Tried to change the settings to install 2.5.0 using sqlsrv.

1) downloaded and installed sqlsrv20.exe
2) downloaded and installed correct php extension libraries
3) changed my php.ini file as described.

restarted the server and Sqlsvr appears as a new option. Hurray!!!

However when trying to install, entering what I think is appropriate info, the installer says:

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: 2

db type Sqlsrv
hostname (tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, servername\sqlserver, server's ip)
username sa
password (the appropriate password, have some asp files running on the server as well, verified)

Did I miss something?

Thanks for any help.

HBlanke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by HBlanke » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the Joomla! forum and this is my first problem I've encountered.
I've Joomla! for several years, starting with version 1.0, but decided it was time to go to the next release.

After installing Joomla! 2.5 on a local WampServer and using MS SqlServer 2008 for the database I'm faced a lot of problems.

First, installing Joola! seems to finish without problems. Then, after changing some setting I've noticed the following:

1) Whenever a backslash is included in a parameter, it get's escaped. Thsi should be noraml except that this 'escaping' is recursive: every save every backslash is escaped, so after four saves I end up with eight backslashes. I've inspected this in the database and they are there, but because backslashes get escaped, in the database field the're sixteen of them.

I've also inspected the sample data that is installed if you opt for it. Any bouble backslash in the sql file is insert with the double count, so four instead of the expected two.

2) When I try to write an article the Categories are not retreived and it get the following error:
[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Column 'labc_categories.published' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.SQL=SELECT a.id AS value, a.title AS text, a.level, a.published FROM labc_categories AS a LEFT JOIN [labc_categories] AS b ON a.lft > b.lft AND a.rgt < b.rgt WHERE (a.extension = N'com_content') AND a.published IN (0,1) GROUP BY a.id, a.title, a.level, a.lft, a.rgt, a.extension, a.parent_id ORDER BY a.lft ASC

This is also true for any component which uses the Categories.

There are some other issues but I guess they may be related so Id like to concentrate on these two.

Can any body help me?

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:49 pm

duetltd wrote: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: 2

db type Sqlsrv
hostname (tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, servername\sqlserver, server's ip)
username sa
password (the appropriate password, have some asp files running on the server as well, verified)

Did I miss something?
Firstly, have you created the new database in SQL Server?

When you installed sqlsrv, what authentication mode did you select? I remember reading somewhere that you should choose mixed mode, not just the SQL authentication by itself.

On my computer, I can use either:
localhost\SQLEXPRESS
or
COMPUTERNAME\SQLEXPRESS
as the host.

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

HBlanke wrote:Hello everyone,
1) Whenever a backslash is included in a parameter, it get's escaped. Thsi should be noraml except that this 'escaping' is recursive: every save every backslash is escaped, so after four saves I end up with eight backslashes. I've inspected this in the database and they are there, but because backslashes get escaped, in the database field the're sixteen of them.

I've also inspected the sample data that is installed if you opt for it. Any bouble backslash in the sql file is insert with the double count, so four instead of the expected two.

2) When I try to write an article the Categories are not retreived and it get the following error:
[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Column 'labc_categories.published' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.SQL=SELECT a.id AS value, a.title AS text, a.level, a.published FROM labc_categories AS a LEFT JOIN [labc_categories] AS b ON a.lft > b.lft AND a.rgt < b.rgt WHERE (a.extension = N'com_content') AND a.published IN (0,1) GROUP BY a.id, a.title, a.level, a.lft, a.rgt, a.extension, a.parent_id ORDER BY a.lft ASC
This sounds like something you should report on the CMS issue tracker
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... er_id=8103

duetltd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by duetltd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Firstly, have you created the new database in SQL Server?

When you installed sqlsrv, what authentication mode did you select? I remember reading somewhere that you should choose mixed mode, not just the SQL authentication by itself.

On my computer, I can use either:
localhost\SQLEXPRESS
or
COMPUTERNAME\SQLEXPRESS
as the host.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_____
I've been using sql with asp for years on the server, many db's on the system.
I think there was an option for connect type? I think I did IP - not sure, I'll uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for the help.

itstaff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itstaff » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 am

If your installing Joomla on IIS and are having issues getting the 'SQLsrv' option to show in the Joomla installer it may be easiest for you to install Joomla using the 'Microsoft Web Platform Installer'. This will setup everything you need. You can download it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

INSTALLATION STEPS
  • 1. Download the application from the url provided above and run it on your webserver.
    2. Once the 'Web Platform Installer 3.0' loads select Applications from the the top and it will reveal 'Joomla! 2.5' and other Applications you don't need to worry about.
    3. Click the 'Add' button on the right side of 'Joomla! 2.5'.
    4. Click the 'Install' button found at the bottom.
    5. You will then be prompted for what type of database you would like to use
    Select 'SQL Server'. Also select 'Use a remote server' from the dropdown list if your SQL Database is on a different server to your webserver.
    6. The installer will then list all required dependencies.
    7. Click the 'I Accept' button at the bottom to start the installation. Your server may need to be rebooted during the installation but don't worry it will continue installing all required dependencies after rebooting.
    8. After installation is complete you will be asked to enter your site information. Fill out the form as required and click 'Continue'.
    9. On the next page Select 'Create new database' if you do not already have one created otherwise select 'Use existing database' if you have already created it from MS SQL. Fill out the rest of the form as required and click 'Continue'.
    10. The installer will do the rest once it's complete your new Joomla site is ready to go!

gmjgrs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gmjgrs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I've doneee it!
after trying so much, thank you for ur help, I couldn't done anything without this reference, it was just that i was registering de PDO_SQLSRV drivers listed above, what you need to do is to is register de SQLSVR drivers and that's all. I'll list the drivers for further reference to somebody with the same problems ;) :

extension=php_sqlsrv_52_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_52_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc6.dll

Gordon55M
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gordon55M » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but I tried installing on my shared windows hosting with GoDaddy using MSSQL as the database. I couldn't get past the database step so I reached out for help and got this response:

"After reviewing the issue with our hosting techs, it looks like the restrictions put on MSSQL in the shared environment will prevent you from using Joomla with MSSQL. You would need a Virtual Dedicated or Dedicated server plan to be able to get Joomla installed properly. "

I know they aren't a great host for Joomla, but I figure this might help some others in the future if they try the same setup I had.

jaaron019
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jaaron019 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 am

mika44bzh wrote:Hi,
I have the same problems before
To solve this problem, I make some modifications to my server :

STEP 1 - Download and install Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... n&id=20098
- Download SQLSRV20.EXE to a temporary directory
- Run SQLSRV20.EXE
- When prompted, enter the path to the PHP extensions directory
- After extracting the files, read the Installation section of the SQLSRV20_Readme.htm file for next steps

STEP 2 - install "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/fr-f ... BED18FE73C

STEP 3 - update your php.ini file
add these lines :

I hope it will help you
I follow those steps but, in step 3 i change for it:

;extension=php_msql.dll
;extension=php_mssql.dll

extension=php_sqlsrv_52_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_52_ts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc6.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll
extension=php_sqlsrv_53_ts_vc6.dll

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll
Plus, i copy the file ntwdblib.dll to C:\windows\System32

After that i can see the Sqlsrv in the database type drop down, but after i enter the next information:

host: 172.20.x.x
DB : DFTPALM1
user: User1
pass: User1

i received the error: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: 2

Edit:
Ok was my fault, i wrote wrong the DataBase Name, now i'll probe that my components work fine =P
Last edited by jaaron019 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 am

Make sure you are using SQL Server 2008, as SQL Server 2005 is not compatible with the Joomla SQL driver.

petern
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by petern » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 am

Does it work with SQL Server 2008 Express, or not?

I am thinking of setting up a Joomla 2.5 install locally and am hoping not to have to buy SQL server yet!

tuum
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tuum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am

petern wrote:Does it work with SQL Server 2008 Express, or not?

I am thinking of setting up a Joomla 2.5 install locally and am hoping not to have to buy SQL server yet!
Yes SQL Server 2008 Express works fine.

midou525525
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by midou525525 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 am

greeeeeeeting everybody,
i have passed a lot of time trying to configure php to make sqlsrv section appears in phpinfo.
my configuration :
wamp server 2.1
php 5.3.4
MS SQL server 2008
windows 7 édition familial premuim 64 bits
i have used sqlsrv driver for php v2.0 and v3.0

Arobaaz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Arobaaz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 am

So we're looking to install U-AIR for Exchange and SQL to backup/restore individual items. During the installation of the plug in, it asks for the Enterprise Manager I/P .. We purchased B&R although I dont seem to see any "enterprise manager" installation anywhere.. Am I just missing something here? Where do we get EM?
champion sportswear

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”