Discuss Joomla! 2.5.0 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Discuss Joomla! 2.5.0 Released

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks to the Joomla Team :] Well done.

tonner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tonner » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am

Wow! You have updated from 1.7 to 2.5! What will be next week? 4.3? 08.15? 47.11? It's a shame to use a "platform" made by freaks that even can't count. My client asked me: "What? You are still working on Joomla 1.7.4? I found out they already released 2.5! What did you do all the time?" He is right. What did I do? Shall I tell my client, "I suggested you a CMS made by people who can't count"? It's my fault, I trusted Joomla, what a mistake.

I'm going to switch to Typo3. There are people who can count and are mentally able to come up with a serious versionizing and a serious update programming. After all, they are quite intelligent, capable to keep track with their users. Why didn't I do that from the very first, it hadn't been less time-consuming.

So thanks Joomla, and keep on inventing fancy numbers, that's the best you can do.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:21 am

You don't have to agree, but here is some of the reasoning that went into the new numbering system.

tonner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tonner » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:57 am

Hi aamiller,

thanks for your answer. Yes, I can imagine you had reasons for numbering this version. But you have to decide wether this is a system to satisfy its internal needs or the needs of the users/customers. Programmers may decide that this is a release far more developed than a 1.8, even than a 2.0 version, but their users will be in trouble to report this to their customers, as I have tried to point out. And these two points don't merge with Joomla at this time.
I understand programmers, i am one by myself. But I can fully agree with my client, who looked up Joomla development by himself, and it didn't came up to his expectations. If it was one version away, no matter, but the difference between 1.7 qand 2.5 seems to be a lot of (not yet done) work. Of course he didn't blame Joomla, he blamed me. And I'm looking for an alternative where I only can program, and I'm not additionally urged to argue pro or contra for a system I didn't choose.

All best,
tonner

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 am

There are two paths for relatively painless upgrades. One is the Akeeba Admin tools. This is well developed and has strong support.

The other is the auto upgrade built into 1.6, 1.7 & 2.5. This one is just a bit more complicated, but it does work. It also allows for checking on the status of extensions used and permits one click upgrading of extensions. 2.5 is a long-term upgrade that will be supported for 18 months.

Those features alone makes this well worth the upgrade for me. Yes, sites do need to be upgraded. But no, this is not something that will require major time and major work.

But if another CMS meets your needs better, then of course you should use it.

tschumler
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tschumler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:07 am

Hi tonner,
if you are really interested in Joomla and you are a programmer you probably sometimes also have to read articles on the Joomla website. There have been forum discussions and a voting about the version numbering. http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... rsion.html

If you would like to explain the future Joomla version numbering to your customers you can send them this link with the Joomla development strategy. http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... eting.html

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:11 am

tonner wrote:Wow! You have updated from 1.7 to 2.5! What will be next week? 4.3? 08.15? 47.11? It's a shame to use a "platform" made by freaks that even can't count. My client asked me: "What? You are still working on Joomla 1.7.4? I found out they already released 2.5! What did you do all the time?" He is right. What did I do? Shall I tell my client, "I suggested you a CMS made by people who can't count"? It's my fault, I trusted Joomla, what a mistake.
You could read and share with your client: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... rsion.html as well as the outcome. No need at all to vent your frustration or even be frustrated! Even clients would understand if you explain....

Leo 8)

Edit: Sorry Tschumler: Missed your link (well better double )
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:29 pm

I do not mean to bring up "old $hit" but that was a prime example of what a good portion of people still think about the version system, LTS, migrations.....etc.

I am not saying that people have the right to just bitch, BUT, they are upset still (clearly).

I ♥ Joomla. Been here since Mambo! Now that we have auto-updates, I hope this will he heal the wounds the past few versions have caused. Moreover, I hope that a "top-down" approach will be taken to 2.5.x and that another migration will not be in the future.

Example: Firefox thought they were on top of the world. Thought they could not be touched as the world’s second most popular browser. They release version 4 and it sucked! Also, more than 1/2 the extensions for FF would not work. They seem to be having that same result with 5,6,7,8 and 9. What has happened as a result? Well this was the result:

Posted December 1st 2011:

Chrome overtakes Firefox market share for the first time:
http://www.techspot.com/news/46491-chro ... -time.html

Now I would hate to see the same thing happen to Joomla. More and more people I talk to are going to Typo3, Word-Press, Drupal....ETC.....

Don't let it happen PLT!

As I said, I ♥ Joomla. But I ♥ not migrating more....

My2Cents,

Red

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 am

red2678 wrote:My2Cents
Without offense for sure but I really do not see what that contribution has to do with the release of Joomla 2.5.0 which is an upgrade from Joomla 1.7. If you are displeased with versioning or have issues with the migrations towards rewritten platforms, you should post in the appropriate forum which is The Lounge imho but not in a release announcement of a fabulous improvement of Joomla! me think?

Leo 8)

Jo80
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jo80 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

tonner wrote: I'm going to switch to Typo3. There are people who can count and are mentally able to come up with a serious versionizing and a serious update programming. After all, they are quite intelligent, capable to keep track with their users. Why didn't I do that from the very first, it hadn't been less time-consuming.

So thanks Joomla, and keep on inventing fancy numbers, that's the best you can do.
Tonner,
x) Typo3 is maintained basically by only 1 Person - if he die or go in prison (like Riser with the Linux fs if I remember correctly) what then?
x) The full documentations only in english are about 3000 pages.
x) Most plugins are in alpha and beta stadium
x) You will find more frameworks and bibliothecs for your own programming rather then ready to use plugins.
x) You must be php programmer and css designer to bring a good Typo3 site alive or you must spend a lot of money to others.
x) I started to following both, Typo3 and Joomla about 8 years ago (Joomla was Mambo) - and till today I didnt changed to Typo3

Whichever way you goes - good luck!
Johannes

ptllscourse10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ptllscourse10 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:41 pm

I have just completed a J2.5 install at Justhost.com but after loginng in to admin account and selecting administrator I get
Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on a non-object in /home/------/public_html/administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php on line 64
Does anyone know what problem is
Seems to work OK in my windows version but not online. Line 64 is bottom line

PHP reads
$credentials['username'] = JRequest::getVar('username', '', 'method', 'username');
$credentials['password'] = JRequest::getVar('passwd', '', 'post', 'string', JREQUEST_ALLOWRAW);

$result = $mainframe->login($credentials);
Last edited by ptllscourse10 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jo80
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jo80 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I dont know but you can try delete tmp, cache, browser cache ..

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok Leo no offense too...but,
...but I really do not see what that contribution has to do with the release of Joomla 2.5.0 which is an upgrade from Joomla 1.7. If you are displeased with versioning or have issues with the migrations towards rewritten platforms, you should post in the appropriate forum which is The Lounge imho but not in a release announcement of a fabulous improvement of Joomla!...
It is exactly that sort of callous, controlling response that has upset a lot of people.... Instead of addressing my point you give me some bureaucratic response about forum posting. Did I need to post in the 2.5 Migration/Upgrading forum. Or the 1.7 or the 1.5 or even the 1.0?

Maybe you missed my first post where I say "Great Job" to the entire Joomla team. I like how you do not say anything about that post, but as soon as I point out a general perception and, moreover, echo the post of another user, you tell me to go post in another forum. Sorry again man, but you telling me that what I said is not related to the 2.5 release and to post somewhere else, is absolute ridiculousness....ummm, my point is valid and relevant. Moreover I was referring to a post made is this thread. The version number, how people feel about overall, etc. That is all directly relevant to the 2.5 release...

PS - I am not trolling, I love the 2.5 release...

Friends,

~Red

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:30 pm

red2678 wrote:It is exactly that sort of callous, controlling response that has upset a lot of people.... Instead of addressing my point you give me some bureaucratic response about forum posting.
I do not want to spoil the announcement forum with a discussion about something what has been discussed already widely and what has for me no benefit to this community at this moment. So I feel no need to address the point you try to make

;-)

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I totally agree with you....
So I feel no need to address the point you try to make
But you just did.....take care...

:-]

ptllscourse10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ptllscourse10 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm

I think I have solved my problem. The new install extraction left older files from the Joomla 1.5 previous install in place which were being used by the new J2.5. When I checked the local wampserver version with the new Linux install files there were lots of extras dated the previous install. Renaming these and reinstalling db cleared errors though I still have a minor problem caused by what I think is a similar issue that I have yet to fix.

vav
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vav » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 pm

There is a bug when using ms sql 2008 r2 (64) in joomla 2.5.0 stable

Code: Select all

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Column 'jos_categories.published' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.SQL=SELECT a.id AS value, a.title AS text, a.level, a.published FROM jos_categories AS a LEFT JOIN [jos_categories] AS b ON a.lft > b.lft AND a.rgt < b.rgt WHERE (a.extension = N'com_content') AND a.published IN (0,1) GROUP BY a.id, a.title, a.level, a.lft, a.rgt, a.extension, a.parent_id ORDER BY a.lft ASC
Last edited by vav on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jo80
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jo80 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:43 pm

there are a few more bugs with sql files, not only ms, but some language and variable changes depending on each other

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

Please report bugs to the Bug Tracker @ http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... er_id=8103 and please include instructions to reproduce the error as well. With some queries, since SQL Server requires all displayed fields to be in the GROUP BY clause, it's as simple as adding that field to the query.

SuperHadEnough
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SuperHadEnough » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 am

I can't get video or uploaded jpg to post in articles. Text will post. The problem happens no matter which wysiwyg editor I use. I love the upgrade feature, but it isn't working for me as a CMS if I can't post articles.

I upgraded from 1.7.3 to 2.5.0.

IMO, calling 2.5.0 stable might be a bit premature, but I don't write code or program so maybe stable has a different meaning depending on ones perspective,lol.

I'm going to restore my site to 1.7.3 and wait for the bugs to go away.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

SuperHadEnough wrote:I can't get video or uploaded jpg to post in articles.
I can upload images as well as video both in TinyMCE as well in JCE so cannot reproduce your issue

Leo 8)

SuperHadEnough
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SuperHadEnough » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

I restored to 1.7.3 so it isn't a big deal at the moment. Sometime this week I'll try to upgrade manually to 2.5 on a localhost on my PC.

I don't get what the problem is though. All the videos or images in old articles are there and work. If I went into a previously posted article to make a change, the code for everything but the text would disappear.

I'll leave another post if I end up recreating the same problem when I try again to upgrade to 2.5.0.

I've seen other people comment with the same or a very similar problem though, so I'm curious what the common denominator would be for us?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 am

SuperHadEnough wrote: I'm curious what the denominator would be for us? [/b]
Stop typing in bold for sure is one for you?

Leo

SuperHadEnough
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SuperHadEnough » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 am

leolam wrote:
SuperHadEnough wrote: I'm curious what the denominator would be for us? [/b]
Stop typing in bold for sure is one for you?

Leo
I do that for people like myself who have a difficult time seeing small fonts. If you are perceiving that it is for any other reason, that's all in your imagination.

I get why typing in all caps is annoying, but I don't get why bold font makes any difference, other than it is easier to see.

As someone with 5 stars, do you often make ridiculous comments to get people to go off topic?

How does that actually help?

Don't be upset with me because you can't determine what the problem is with the upgrade. That's kind of childish. Just saying.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 am

SuperHadEnough wrote:you can't determine what the problem is with the upgrade.
Did you read the first 2 sticky's as well as my reply? I have mentioned I cannot reproduce your issue and if you roll back on the first hurdle we can hardly help can we?

Like to point you to the following forum rule:
Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site admins will not be tolerated
. You are not courteous nor constructive.

Leo

SuperHadEnough
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SuperHadEnough » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 pm

leolam wrote:
SuperHadEnough wrote:you can't determine what the problem is with the upgrade.
Did you read the first 2 sticky's as well as my reply? I have mentioned I cannot reproduce your issue and if you roll back on the first hurdle we can hardly help can we?

Like to point you to the following forum rule:
Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site admins will not be tolerated
. You are not courteous nor constructive.

Leo
Yes I did read this entire topic. And I totally get that you can't recreate the problem I ran into.

Speaking of not being courteous or constructive, I thought you changing the topic to the way I use/d my font was juvenile & tacky. I had no idea that forum users could be so sensitive as to be offended by bold font. I really just thought you were nuts, but someone else sent me a pm explaining how bold font is perceived as an equivalent to caps, which I think is silly, but apparently that is the status quo. I think being able to use bold font is just a great tool in the wysiwyg that makes being able to see what people say that much easier. My intent was to make reading easier, but now that I'm aware of how offensive it is to use bold font, I will refrain from using it and I will do my part to send other new (or seldom) forum users the knowledge of how offensive it is in a private message without making smart-ask derogatory comments in the form of a question like you did. ;)

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Note to all: Joomla 2.5.1 has been released.
A Lot of the issues people are having should be resolved in that release.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=693176
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

SuperHadEnough
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SuperHadEnough » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

ChiefGoFor wrote:Note to all: Joomla 2.5.1 has been released.
A Lot of the issues people are having should be resolved in that release.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=693176
I did the update and I'm not having the wysiwyg problem like I had when I upgraded to 2.5.0. The only problem I've noticed so far is when I'm in "Article Manager" I can't sort my articles by the different criteria

(Title Status Featured Category Ordering Access Created by Date Hits Language ID).

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm

SuperHadEnough wrote:The only problem I've noticed so far is when I'm in "Article Manager" I can't sort my articles by the different criteria

(Title Status Featured Category Ordering Access Created by Date Hits Language ID).
Please use the Bug Tracker to report this. :)

Joomla Bug Tracker: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... er_id=8103
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:55 pm

I just updated four sites in about twenty minutes. Most went very smoothly. I did have one site that did not want to upgrade Akeeba Admin Tools from the Extension Manager>Upgrade tab. It kept telling me to 'Select item' although it was already checked. Doing a database 'Fix' resolved the issue.

Keep up the great work!

Return to “Announcements Discussions”