J1.5.20 Upload Package File fails > JFolder::create: Could..

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mojoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

J1.5.20 Upload Package File fails > JFolder::create: Could..

Post by mojoe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 am

Hello -

Upgraded to j1520 and it appear I can't install any extension via the Extension Manager.

I receive the following message:
JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning! Failed to move file.

All file permission are set to 775.***updated folder to 755 and files to 644, still not working.

Any thoughts on what the troubles may be?
Cheers,
m.
Last edited by mojoe on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bunglehaze
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: J1.5.20 Upload Package File fails > JFolder::create: Cou

Post by bunglehaze » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi, I have the same issue with a new install running 1.5.20. previous versions of joomla on the same host (my private server) have been no problem but the new install just will not play ball, any Joomla experts able to chip in with some advice?
Bikechatter Motorcycle Media
Motorcycle product reviews, articles and news
http://www.bikechatter.co.uk

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am

I'm somewhat seeing the same issues, I'm not able to install any new packages or extension. I'm also trying to update some of the extensions that I use, without success, although the remove part actually works!
My issues are described here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=538391

mojoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mojoe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Ervik,

I saw your post but I have custom installs that I don't want to remove. Yes, uninstalling is fine for me as well. And yes, I have upgrades I need to install as well.

I've noticed that components no longer have access to my tmp directory as well. file permission set at 755.

mojoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: J1.5.20 Upload Package File fails > JFolder::create

Post by mojoe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:15 pm

I've solved my issue!

I think 15.20 replaced the Server Setting, Path to Temp-folder with:
/home/ccsfgis/public_html/tmp

Solution:
Global Configuration > Server...Server Setting...Path to Temp-folder, and replace:
/home/ccsfgis/public_html/tmp

with:
/tmp

Cheers,
m.

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 am

Hi mojoe,
Strange, I've checked my settings and their are not changed.
They still have d:\inetpub\wwwroot\tmp, since I run on windows and iis.
I still get this error:

* JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* JFolder::folder: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* JFolder::files: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.
* Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.

Warning: Unknown list entry type in request shutdown (0) in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\filesystem\archive\zip.php on line 133

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 142

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 142

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 187

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 am

Anybody got a solution to this issue? It's week 3 and counting now, and I can't update nor install any new extensions... after upgrading to 1.5.20

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:30 pm

In the Admin backend click on Help/System Info then click on the Directory Permissions tab. Check that all folders are writable. If the tmp folder is not writable verify that you have the correct path. Upload this path.php file to your tmp folder and open it in your browser.
path.zip
It will display the correct absolute path to your tmp folder. Copy the path and place it in the "Path to Temp-Folder" box, Global Configuration on the Server tab.

If that doesn't fix it then check the permissions on the folder, should be 755. If that is correct then it is most likely a ownership issue, all your folders and files should have the same owner. Your Host can correct this. If the tmp folder has a FTP owner you could try enabling the FTP Layer to see if that fixes it. That is in Global Configuration Server tab FTP Settings, enable them and enter the correct FTP info for your site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi, I've done the check in the backend, all is writable. Also tested your script, and it says:
Your Absolute Path is: D:\inetpub\wwwroot\tmp
Premissions on the tmp folder is indeed Write as it is in IIS and Windows.
All my folders and files have the same owner, which is the an Administrator account that I created with admin rights.
I do not use FTP, and I have not use it either, and I have had the same config now for over 2 years, and it has been working flavless.
But, I have a question, does Joomla need to have port 21 open, even thought I do not use port 21, or do I when uploading to the server? I have not checked before now, and I found out that port 21 is closed.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Joomla would only use the FTP port if you have the FTP Layer enabled. The IIS server has setting problems specific to it, I have never used it and am not familiar with its particular problems. We have a forum specific to the IIS server here and they may have more info on rights management in IIS.

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:29 am

I know, but I keep getting this message every time I try to install a plugin or component or module:( Uninstall of module works 100%!)
* JFolder::folder: Path does not point to a valid folder or the folder has been deleted.

Warning: Unknown list entry type in request shutdown (0) in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\filesystem\archive\zip.php on line 133

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 142

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 142

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\libraries\joomla\installer\helper.php on line 187

Even tough I have not deleted, moved server or done anything, it all popped up after upgrading from 1.5.18 to 1.5.20. MooTols upgrade not turned on!
And rights has not been tampered with, all is as it has been all along! So there must be something with the new stuff in 1.5.19 and .20!

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 am

I've now reviewed all my folder settings, now that beeing said I've followed and also check my backup server(which I actually have, but I don't want to roll back and run on a version of Joomla that the joomla dev team says have security issues!
Here is the premissions I've followed, now, I did not change any before, but I've now 2x checked the premissions.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=52721

Still no go, and still the same errors when trying to install extensions!

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 pm

This error usually happens when the extension you are trying to install needs to be unzipped locally first. It may contain more instructions or a readme.txt file and the actual install zip file. When Joomla tries to install an extension it first looks for the .xml file in the zip, if it doesn't find one it can not install the extension.

You may be able to go around this error by first uploading the zip to your site's tmp folder via FTP. Then when you try to install the extension just point the installer to the tmp folder instead of trying to upload the zip and install.

Your server may be having a problem unzipping files, unzip the extension locally then upload the extension's folder to your tmp folder. When you install point to the folder in your tmp folder, this way the server does not have to unzip the file.

Have you tried posting in the IIS forum, they may have info specific to that server that I do not know about?
http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=543

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 am

Hi dpacadmin, thanks for the heads up, but I'm aware that many extensions need unzipping first.
The once I've tried all does not need to be unzipped first. That beeing said, your formal was excellent, when unzipping a component or plugin, then using install from directory and pointing to that directory, it worked like a charm. I guess I'll have to live with this methode for some while, before somebody figures out what's wrong... the zip paramaters in php.ini file has not changed, so it must be something in the installer that came with 1.5.20 that has a bug possbile...

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:51 am

ervik wrote: so it must be something in the installer that came with 1.5.20 that has a bug possbile...
Definitely not having a bug. Check your ownership and permissions

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

ervik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ervik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 am

Good one Leo, than why do I have problems? I've successfully installed extensions last night, by doing it when the zip file enters the tmp directory. This directory has the correct security premissions and ownership. The problem seems to be that the internal zip handling got broken after the upgrade to 1.5.20. If not, I would not be seeing this issue, right? LOL

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 am

1) has folder media correct permissions and ownership?
2) have you tried to reload the administrator, includes and libraries folders and overwrite with ftp? The Joomla installer that came with 1.5.20 has no bug otherwise we would not have been able to upgrade hundreds of sites and extensions.

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Aeropars
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Aeropars » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Same problem for me on this. works fine when unzipping and then uploading via FTP and useing install from directory.

Did you get a resolution for this? Oddly my development site which is a subfolder of my main site has no problems so theres something amis but what???

eskwire
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eskwire » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I know this is a pretty old thread but I recently had the same issue on a joomla 1.5.23 site.

The problem / fix for me was that I had run out of file space on the server. Once I deleted some old files to create the space, Joomla worked just the way it is supposed to.

Hope this helps someone else!

rolandnyns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rolandnyns » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am

I too have been having this problem. This was a good workaround: unzip the extension locally then upload the extension's folder to your tmp folder. When you install point to the folder in your tmp folder.

I also noticed that a number of "temporary" files from older installations still remained in the tmp directory. I deleted them because I think they were actually blocking the installation process!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”