Backlinks - What is the best SEO way?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 2.5. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 2.5 extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Orionet82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Backlinks - What is the best SEO way?

Post by Orionet82 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 am

Hello all,

I am new to Joomla! and building my first site for my business. SERP rankings is very important to me. I've done quite a bit of searching on SEO and time and time again creating quality backlinks is recommended.

What is the best way (for SEO) to create/establish backlinks with other quality websites in Joomla 1.7?

In the footer of the template I purchased there is a "Links" option, where I then have the ability to link to an article I create. In the Article I know how to create a link to another site (assuming they link back to me).

In Components I saw the option "Weblinks" - is that a better way?

What is the difference (pros/cons) between the two?

Thanks in advance!

brunoalec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Backlinks - What is the best SEO way?

Post by brunoalec » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Orionet82,

as you said you are new to joomla, and probally new to SEO as well, so in first place is important you study regarding joomla skills before going into SEO. Because SEO is a secound step regarding your knowledge progress. Anyway here goes my tip regarding SEO. At the first step just forget about backlinks, are there to much to do and learn regarding Onsite Seo. So go this way, make a better project, with good structure and content, after that you begin to care about Off Site.

PS: Sorry about my bad english writing ;-)
Last edited by ooffick on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.
Bruno Alecrim
Rio - Belem - Brasil
http://www.unicasite.com

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 am

1) Onpage SEO must be Ace
2) Submit your site to good Web Directories which are revalant, and good PR. There are many web directories for web directories which list web directories for your niche or website if that makes any sense lol. So find a web directory for web directorys then filter though using PR as a good indication your site will be seen.
3) Submit a few articles about your site on Article Directorys, Write them yourself and don't copy content EVER! because Google knows before you do! they do unqiueness checks.
4) Signup to a Press Release site such as Newsvine, Release new updates regarding your site with backlinks too.
5) Using social media sites like facebook, twitter and all the rest raise your backlinks they might not all be dofollow but shows google and the others your site is being talked about never mind it improves serps (Google Serps,Worth a good read)
6) Use Social Book marking sites which allow dofollow such as Regedit, Dig, and all the others.
7) Add your sig to forums that you use, if you aint regular on the forums or is not relevant to your site it won't be weighted valuable by Google, So just use sites you like and are good for your site.
8) Blog comments can help which support using your site address but again, only sites which are revalant, you enjoy using regularly. Google does'nt like comment spam! it's black hat so leave more than GOOD POST THX! but you avoid this by using sites which you like.
9) If you know of any sites which are like yours but not in direct competeion, then ask to exchange links, for example if you sell carpets to people in LEEDS UK, and someone else has a website who sells caprets to people manchester you are not in direct competeion and GOOGLE! will love you both for the links as you are really revalant. <---3rd BEST METHOD (BUT DONT CHAIN LINK, that means don't do this more than a handful)
10) Build quality content, the kind people will talk about on social networks, and actually link to you because its good. <--- 2nd BEST METHOD!
11) Got money? Pay someone to invest time doing some of the above who actually knows there stuff, they will exactly how to get you backlinks which return high quality but becareful which company's you go with, avoid COMMENT BLASTS and other blackhat tricks. If they are selling 100s if not 1000's of Links for $10-100 they will be using dirty tricks which will get your site punished or worse banned. <-- Find a good company and they will do wonders and imo this is the best.

It's worth pointing out a backlink on a site doesn't mean Google will even value you for it, Google a lot of the times say content is king this is true, content will bring visitors and link to you naturally.

If you sell carpets and have links on car sites, you will gain little weight if not any! the same if you use these forums with a sig with a car site.

While I haven't listed most, this should keep you busy for awhile Hope this helps! ;)

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 am

Also I must add when you make a backlink which ever method it takes the search engines donkey years to list it within your search query IE using yoursitename.com in the Google Search, also sometimes Google never even finds the back links or takes years too lol and you can ping links with Google which you can read about but I strongly dis advise anyone to do that on a lot of links, you will get punished by Google!

Word of the Day! Natural <---- Thats what Google loves!

tamnl
I've been banned!

Post by tamnl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

Orionet82, leave the link in the footer is really a good option for joomla template provider to get back link.

Weblinks is the page where you want to share links with other websites. It won't bring you high benefit.

Put the link in article, and your article has good content, good SEO, you can make good internal links.

If you want to build back links for your websites, you can use 5 below ways (There are more than 20 ways to build back links but I only want to talk about 5 best ways after Google Panda)

- Blog posting:build your content and update it frequently
- PR article websites: submit your article to famous website with high page rank. For example, you can write showcase to send to Joomla Showcase, write article send to howto....
- Social networks: Did you make a Google plus page? Did you share your website to FB, Twitter, Digg or bookmark in Delicious?... You should try this. Not only give you back link, also bring you more traffic. You can share article, video, some notes...
- Guest blogging:
- Testimonial: write testimonial for templates or extensions you use with the link to your website
[Free extension] Make Joomla joyful to use: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/20267
Start with Joomla 3.0 easily: http://www.joomlashine.com/blog/free-eb ... vices.html!

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:21 am

BTW I hear the words HIGH PR a lot in my profession and it always raises a debate over it.

Let me explain why :P

It doesnt matter if you post an article on a PR1 Article Directory, or a PR8 Article Directory unless they are passing JUICE, which in most cases even if they are due to the sheer number of articles 1,000,000's of articles you receive very little so its good as a PR0-1 even when its on a PR8...

Some of my sites I run have a site rank of PR1, but some pages have PR6 and so on! so the passing of juice is really important and something which people should take account for. I see so many omg got myself backlink on a PR5 etc, but unless that page is highly ranked its worthless, unless you deal with 1000000s of those kind of links and they add up!

If you want articles to pass good juice, you need to back link to the article as well :P MORE WORK :P

Imo Article Directories are the least effective now, due to the Google Panda update. Unless you back link like i said above. So many people have spun content they have been abused and now hugely ignored most of the times. However some are still worth while and they list of the good ones are gold dust... The kind of good article directories are the ones which only approve like 1% of articles lol.

One of the best ones is the guardian, but they are super picky ;)

alex jones
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alex jones » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 am

The best way of getting back links is through paid submissions. I personally have found Google consider it bad but give it a good PR so either you try the hard way or the cool way its up to you.

brunoalec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brunoalec » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:04 am

Alex this is a very good issue, I know this was a very effective practice last years, but I read recently many people talking regarding the risks doing this, considering all google efforts to stop this practice. So how can we use this strategy with any risk ?
Bruno Alecrim
Rio - Belem - Brasil

tamnl
I've been banned!

Post by tamnl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:44 am

@brunoalec: Google panda update impacts many websites include directory submissions. You can read this article to know more in http://searchenginewatch.com/article/20 ... k-Building
[Free extension] Make Joomla joyful to use: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/20267
Start with Joomla 3.0 easily: http://www.joomlashine.com/blog/free-eb ... vices.html!

Orionet82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Orionet82 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks for all the responses, but now it seems I have a bigger issue.

My web hosting provider has recently told me they don't offer "3rd Party" support (i.e.: Joomla, yet they offer an install for it). They were telling me for at least the last two months they would help transfer the Joomla site files in my sub domain to my root domain to replace my current site, but when I went to do it this past week they said they don't provide the support. Although initially disappointed, I'm moving on and just going to recreate what I had done, plus they are now upgraded Joomla to the latest version.

If anyone is still listening:), I have a couple of questions:

1) I have my current websites (non-Joomla) contents in my root domain. Before installing, should delete the contents first or will Joomla install over it?

2) I may use this opportunity to switch web hosting providers. Does anyone have any experience with web hosting companies that would be particularly good for Joomla sites, or does it not really matter?

Thank you!

brunoalec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brunoalec » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 am

Hi Orionet,
1 - I strongly suggest you to clean the root before move joomla there.
2 - Ask google regarding Joomla hosting and you will find many companies that deal with joomla websites well.
3 - Just one tip: Take a look to Akeeba component is perfect to deal with backups and with it you will easily move your site anywhere without any problem. It is a most have extension to every joomla website.

Bruno Alecrim
Rio - Belem - Brasil

tamnl
I've been banned!

Post by tamnl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

@Orionet:
1) You should delete the contents first. Your Jomla installation will get no trouble. And your site will load faster.
2) In this forum, there are many topics about Joomla host: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 9&start=30 I see that some choose Rochen, some choose GoDaddy or Dreamhost. You should check all of their services to see which is the best option for you

aagekold
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aagekold » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Just a quick reply to polomintus. Your list/methods for backlinks is excellent, but I believe you shouldn't read too much into finding the backlinks by doing a search on Google. They deliberately do not reveal all crawled backlinks. Not even if you use a Google Webmaster account (which I also recommend).

Also, they don't always take a long time to find new content/backlink. It only depends on how often the site with the link is getting crawled. If the site has a really great Alexa rank (very high traffic), then Google spiders will visit every day and your backlink will get picked up. Even if you can't see it.

I think the most comprehensive and accesible database of link statistics you can find is offered by sem rush.

chief_wiggum
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chief_wiggum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Don't feel forced to build your backlinks on your own on.
Do a good OnSite-Optimization (titles, descriptions, good html-structure...), use the right keywords and write high quality content.
If you have good content on your site, which gives great information, you will get links automatically from bloggers for example. And those links are the best!

tamnl
I've been banned!

Post by tamnl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Chief_wiggum:
Yeah, all we know good content is king but I don't agree with your opinion about build backlinks. Wait for people come to your site is a bit wasted time. ^^ I think it's best to get wonderful content and bring it to every people

quran21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by quran21 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm

polomintus wrote:1) Onpage SEO must be Ace
2) Submit your site to good Web Directories which are revalant, and good PR. There are many web directories for web directories which list web directories for your niche or website if that makes any sense lol. So find a web directory for web directorys then filter though using PR as a good indication your site will be seen.
3) Submit a few articles about your site on Article Directorys, Write them yourself and don't copy content EVER! because Google knows before you do! they do unqiueness checks.
4) Signup to a Press Release site such as Newsvine, Release new updates regarding your site with backlinks too.
5) Using social media sites like facebook, twitter and all the rest raise your backlinks they might not all be dofollow but shows google and the others your site is being talked about never mind it improves serps (Google Serps,Worth a good read)
6) Use Social Book marking sites which allow dofollow such as Regedit, Dig, and all the others.
7) Add your sig to forums that you use, if you aint regular on the forums or is not relevant to your site it won't be weighted valuable by Google, So just use sites you like and are good for your site.
8) Blog comments can help which support using your site address but again, only sites which are revalant, you enjoy using regularly. Google does'nt like comment spam! it's black hat so leave more than GOOD POST THX! but you avoid this by using sites which you like.
9) If you know of any sites which are like yours but not in direct competeion, then ask to exchange links, for example if you sell carpets to people in LEEDS UK, and someone else has a website who sells caprets to people manchester you are not in direct competeion and GOOGLE! will love you both for the links as you are really revalant. <---3rd BEST METHOD (BUT DONT CHAIN LINK, that means don't do this more than a handful)
10) Build quality content, the kind people will talk about on social networks, and actually link to you because its good. <--- 2nd BEST METHOD!
11) Got money? Pay someone to invest time doing some of the above who actually knows there stuff, they will exactly how to get you backlinks which return high quality but becareful which company's you go with, avoid COMMENT BLASTS and other blackhat tricks. If they are selling 100s if not 1000's of Links for $10-100 they will be using dirty tricks which will get your site punished or worse banned. <-- Find a good company and they will do wonders and imo this is the best.

It's worth pointing out a backlink on a site doesn't mean Google will even value you for it, Google a lot of the times say content is king this is true, content will bring visitors and link to you naturally.

If you sell carpets and have links on car sites, you will gain little weight if not any! the same if you use these forums with a sig with a car site.

While I haven't listed most, this should keep you busy for awhile Hope this helps! ;)
very helpful mate, thanks for sharing

stevejustine
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stevejustine » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 am

SEO is not a one-time big-time strategy. It requires hard work, time and continuous effort. As for me, the most effective seo strategies I've done is continuous link building efforts, social network marketing and article marketing. There are couple of webpages that speak to this matter more than I do.

Thanks.
infilon.com

fastback
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fastback » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 pm

I use directories and bookmarking for my website and for the moment it's working.

Neuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Neuff » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 pm

polomintus wrote:1) Onpage SEO must be Ace

Alot to take in. But thanks alot. Will start at the top:)

JwMann2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JwMann2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 pm

brunoalec wrote:Hi Orionet82,

as you said you are new to joomla, and probally new to SEO as well, so in first place is important you study regarding joomla skills before going into SEO. Because SEO is a secound step regarding your knowledge progress. Anyway here goes my tip regarding SEO. At the first step just forget about backlinks, are there to much to do and learn regarding Onsite Seo. So go this way, make a better project, with good structure and content, after that you begin to care about Off Site.

I agree. Poor on-site SEO will hurt websites even with tons of quality backlinks and a decent page rank. Once the structure and the organization is great on-site, you can move to off-site SEO. Both are important with slightly more emphasis on off page. It's all about backlinks.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by SimonHayter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:10 am

Content is key, Research Link Baiting it is the best way to obtain links without having to go out and get them!

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 2.5”