update website

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

update website

Post by bobi123 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 am

Hi,
I have made a site on localhost, uploaded it on a webhost... few days later I had to make some changes on the site, but I did the changes on the localhost,->started again with the upload, finished. went to the website, nothing changed...

specifics: I changed dropdown menu, added pictures etch... (on localhost), transfered everything on the webhost, including configuration.php, but nothing is changed on the website...
what am I not seeing?
thanx in advance :geek:

jlsluiter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: update website

Post by jlsluiter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:47 pm

I may be having similar problem.

I make changes: Add articles, change templates, Styles, menus, etc. Changes are not taking effect until about an hour later.

bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobi123 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm

well its been 2 hours, and even when i go to admin control panel under menu manager, there are no submenus I added at localhost (at localhost-tested worked perfectly)...then uploaded everything.... checked the site, nothing changed... went to control panel of he site->menu manager... no submenus, if they were thransfered, they should be shown here, the same as in local host... :(

bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobi123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 pm

no1 doesn't know? at least a hint maybe?..

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I had a similar problem.... then I started using Akeeba Backup for uploading the updated site.... never had a problem since.
Vidur Bharany :geek:
Adwiz Digital
http://www.adwiz.in

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Akeeba backup is great. I use it frequently. I do not need it for minor changes. You should be able to see those immediately after making the changes through your admin panel. Sometimes you may need to clear your browser cache to see the changes you have just made.

bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobi123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm not sure I understand, what does backup extension have to do with the problem of updateing the site?-im not trying to backup the site, the firstupload was a simple site, now I added manu and similar stuff, this is an essential function, "updateing" the site. I imagine backup tool is doing what the name implies... not updates the site...

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Akeeba backup is a great tool for backing up and moving sites. It can be configured to move only a portion of the site. However, as I posted above, it does seem like an overkill for minor changes.

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:21 am

I'm with you aemiller on that. However, the reason I suggested this was to avoid any misses for bobi123 in doing this. That's all.
Adwiz Digital

bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobi123 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

I hope I understood both of u correctly, so u recomend me his tool?.. ok i will give it a try, and let u know,.. thanx, but still updaing the site is something very basic, I waswondering if I missed something and maybe the fault is on my side?.. I assume not everybody is using this tool to update the site...

bobi123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobi123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 pm

well this is driving me crazy... I havent tried the aemiler, because i want to know what is the problem why doesnt update work?? so i deleted everything on the website ( deleted the content "public_html").. and uploaded the site with filezilla again, the site is very simple, litlle content, but around 2.000 object dweren't transfered.. so the site is not up.... repeated the procedure a couple of times, the same result,... really no1 doesnt knw what is the problem, or no1 doesnt waant to be bothered by it? :(

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm

I hope you did a backup, preferably with Akeeba backup.

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 am

bobi123.... I think your MySQL data is not getting transferred when you upload the site.... I don't know how bizzare this sounds... but that could be it. Joomla doesn't work like regular HTML based sites. I have done what you did by uploading a site (when I started using Joomla) and ran into the same rough weather... but when I did a backup and used it to move the site... it worked just fine.

If the changes aren't that drastic, I just do the same changes on the live site manually by logging into the backend that I did on the localhost.
Adwiz Digital

skymo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by skymo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 am

It is a interesting sharing........

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 pm

vidurb could be correct. Check your configuration.php file. Is it pointing to the correct database?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”