Slow Saving/Applying to Modules

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Inori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Slow Saving/Applying to Modules

Post by Inori » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:59 am

Hello, I recently upgraded my 1.5 site to 2.5. Everything appears to be working great but I have come across one issue that I cant seem to figure out.

It seems that every time I try to Apply or Save and changes made to MODULES, it takes a good 10-15 seconds for joomla to register the button click and begin ro process and redirect back to the module manager. I've done some digging around and it seems to be because I have a rather large menu. I tested this theory out by deleting many of the menu items on a local install of my site and the issue is no longer there.

What I am trying to figure out is how I can have my large menu without having this delayed reaction in the administrator backed. It only does this with MODULES.

Applying/Saving doesnt lag when I edit Articles, Menu Items, K2 Items etc. Only the modules. Can someone point me in the right direction? It seems that I am only having this issue in Joomla 2.5. I didnt have any saving issues like this with my site on 1.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

283banfil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Slow Saving/Applying to Modules

Post by 283banfil » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I have this exact issue!! HELP

Inori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Inori » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:39 am

After some poking around I noticed that if /media/system/js/mootools-core.js is removed the issue seems to disappear.

This isnt really a good solution though as joomla uses mootools-core.js for other things as well. I wasn't able to pinpoint where exactly the problem in this file is or even if that file is fully to blame. Just shooting in the dark at this point.

Any help would be great!

283banfil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 283banfil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Strangely enough I installed a Module Component called NoNumber! (Peter van Westen) and it eliminated the issue.

Inori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Inori » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I tried to install that component as well but I still seem to be having the issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this for those of us that are still having this problem?

DJsOak4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DJsOak4 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 pm

We also are having this issue in 2.5.1. We saved an article, it said it was saved, but wasn't on the front end. When we went to the backend, we had lost everything typed. We are also experiencing images being lost--I did change the global configuration to no filtering. I hope someone can help.

283banfil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 283banfil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I've had a ton of issues with 2.5. I worked with one of the developers to get some help with one of the components. He had me check to make sure my IconV in my PHP settings was enabled. You can find this information in the backend- System Information- PHP settings. Last setting.

My IconV was disabled. I enabled it and having a much easier time with everything!!

Inori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Inori » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks for the info! I checked my local install as well as the install on my live server and IconV was enabled on both.

Still trying to sort out what could be causing the issue and how to remedy it. :-\

arnusch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by arnusch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello,

I have the same Issue since Ver. 1.6
Now It is 2.5.2 installed, and saving modules takes still 3 Minutes.

We have together with all languages over 8000 Menuitems, it's a product-navigator-menu.

I have done some debugging on JS when clicking the save button. There runs a JS validator through every Menuitem. They use the JS Framework Mootools.
Thats why it tooks so long time to save a Module when the site has many Menuitems.

But I have not understood every Function when I was debugging, and I don't know if everything is necessary.
I hope there is still room to optimize the code, but i don't know where to begin.

If someone has contact to a Joomla Programmer please ask him.

I think at the moment Joomla is not very well optimized to handle a big Site.

I had to tune the Joomla Core in PHP too, so that the Frontend is fast. With 1100 Menuitems the Site took normally over 5 Seconds on a Root Server to start.
Now after changing some things in the core the site takes 1,5 Secs.

lvr123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lvr123 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

-- Forgot this post -- this is not the same problem --

I've got the same problem. Worse, Save/Apply in the module panel don't respond at all.
I just migrated from 1.5 to 2.5.1. What is strange, is that when my site was still in its migration sub-directory (mysite.net/jupgrade/administration/) it used to wrok.
Now that I put back the migrated site to the main root, Save/Apply don't work any more.
283banfil wrote:I've had a ton of issues with 2.5. I worked with one of the developers to get some help with one of the components. He had me check to make sure my IconV in my PHP settings was enabled. You can find this information in the backend- System Information- PHP settings. Last setting.
My IconV was disabled. I enabled it and having a much easier time with everything!!
I cannot locate this setting. Is this in the joomla back-end ?

gwmbox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gwmbox » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 am

arnusch wrote:Hello,

I have the same Issue since Ver. 1.6
Now It is 2.5.2 installed, and saving modules takes still 3 Minutes

I had to tune the Joomla Core in PHP too, so that the Frontend is fast. With 1100 Menuitems the Site took normally over 5 Seconds on a Root Server to start.
Now after changing some things in the core the site takes 1,5 Secs.
Can I ask if this is still an issue for you and what did you change to speed up the page load time?
If you don't ask....
Help yourself, use Firebug with Firefox

DJsOak4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DJsOak4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 pm

I had to read all the posts to remember what this was--I will say that I've updated as they came along and is currently 2.5.8 and the slow saving has not been an issue for quite a long time. Being a "technology" novice, I do not know what changed.

toucandesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by toucandesign » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Exact same issue.

I posted this issue and got very little response from the community. Disappointing.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... e#p2897258

Still unresolved. About 8000 articles. Save on modules only effected, any modules takes upwards of 10 mins. I have K2 installed on the site, no issue saving to K2, articles, plugins, template modifications or components. I've updated everything I can think of to the latest version.

IconV is enabled

I migrated this site using JUpgrade from 1.5.26 and this issue has been with me ever since. No issue on the front end. I just updated to 2.5.9 and no effect.

Anyone???

LuukDriessen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LuukDriessen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Inori wrote:After some poking around I noticed that if /media/system/js/mootools-core.js is removed the issue seems to disappear.
Same here, but indeed not a good solution.

Simpel78
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Simpel78 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I finaly found this post. It seems the same error what I got in the past. Because of the long saving, it activate other problems too! (got this problem from joomla 2.5)

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p3084935

"After some poking around I noticed that if /media/system/js/mootools-core.js is removed the issue seems to disappear. " In joomla 3.0 you can't save any modules anymore,because there is a need of a JS validator.

"I had to tune the Joomla Core in PHP too, so that the Frontend is fast. With 1100 Menuitems the Site took normally over 5 Seconds on a Root Server to start.
Now after changing some things in the core the site takes 1,5 Secs."

What things did you change? please share.

Simpel78
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Simpel78 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”