Joomla 1.6

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
szshezan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.6

Post by szshezan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Where to ask Joomla 1.6 related question?!?!? :eek:

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla 1.6

Post by imanickam » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

In the forum where you are asking this question.

Be informed that Joomla! 1.6 is End of Life'd. So, strongly recommend that you move to 2.5.1. The reason being, 1.7 also would reach its End of Life soon.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

szshezan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by szshezan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 am

Yeah that's right. But my current website is developed with Joomla 1.6 and having some issue with that. In future I will start migrating from Joomla 1.6 to higher.

1. The JText labels are coming directly on frontend/backend interface. How to get rid of this? For example, I want only 'Username' instead of 'MOD_LOGIN_VALUE_USERNAME'. (Please see the attachment.)

This is happening in entire site, even on backend administration panel.

2. I want to upgrade Joomla 1.6 to 2.x. Does Joomla 2.x supports everything from Joomla 1.6?

3. How about the extensions of Joomla 2.x? Are they easily available?

Thanks for your kind reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:17 am

szshezan wrote:1. The JText labels are coming directly on frontend/backend interface. How to get rid of this? For example, I want only 'Username' instead of 'MOD_LOGIN_VALUE_USERNAME'. (Please see the attachment.)
If this happens throughout your site then in your PHP configuration, the parse_ini_file function is missing/ignored.

Review the post http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=617&t=606004 and your issue could be maily attributed to point no. 2 in the post.

On a different note, since this has been happening throughout the site, it is not clear as to why you want to stick to 1.6.
szshezan wrote:2. I want to upgrade Joomla 1.6 to 2.x. Does Joomla 2.x supports everything from Joomla 1.6?
Yes, it does. Joomla! 1.6 was the test platform for 2.5.x which is the long term release. You could upgrade in a test environment.
szshezan wrote:3. How about the extensions of Joomla 2.x? Are they easily available?
They are available as much that was available for 1.6. Since 2.5.x is a long term release, one would expect more extensions to be made compatible.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

szshezan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by szshezan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I am ready to upgrade. But http://www.joomla.org/download.html link says that they have 1.7 to 2.5.1 Upgrade Package, even they have shown the steps to migrate from Joomla 1.5.x, but nothing for Joomla 1.6. Why Joomla 1.6 is being so minor? It's confusing.

Is there any clear upgrade package/process to migrate from 1.6.x to 2.x?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 pm

You could follow the steps:

(a) Bring 1.6 to the latest version
(b) Migrate to 1.7
(c) Bring 1.7 to the latest version
(d) Migrate to 2.5 using jUpgrade

Review of the following documents could be of help.

http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.6.5_to_1.7

http://docs.joomla.org/What_version_of_ ... you_use%3F - Links to various versions of Joomla!

szshezan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by szshezan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I have visited the link and followed the instruction to upgrade from 1.6.5 to 1.7. But there is no update available. :(

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Try the manual update. There is a section for this in the document referenced.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”