Problem migrating Joomla site to diffrent webserver

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem migrating Joomla site to diffrent webserver

Post by jacobsharkey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate a Joomla website from shared hosting onto it's own server I properly backuped the databases and copied over the entire /www/ to the new server and imported the databases & edited the configuration file however now ONLY the front page is loading, most of the pages say they could not be found and some (projects for example) try linking back to the original domain and hosting despite me changing the config.

Here is the site: http://184.22.244.48
(Sorry the domain hasn't resolved yet)

I have tried disabling SEF, I've made sure mod_rewrite was installed aswell as disabling it and have no other ideas at this point.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Problem migrating Joomla site to diffrent webserver

Post by RCheesley » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:46 pm

I would suggest trying to use Akeeba Backup - it rules out a lot of simple mistakes I've made before when transferring sites.

Regarding links not working, you said you have turned off SEF, but did you also clear the cache? Sometimes menu items can be cached so make sure they are showing correctly. I see your menu items being SEF'd, so make sure you turn it off not only in Joomla! config but also any SEF component you're using.

Also I've been caught out by external/hard-coded URL's before, make sure there isn't anything hard coded in your menus!

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks I'll give that a try now and see if that helps - I've also disabled SEF again and cleared my cache it seems like the error persists.

As I'm not really familiar with joomla directories where would I look for the menu files.

Thanks

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 am

I would also second the Akeeba backup recommendation. As I look at the source code of your site and try to look at it with Firebug, it appears that there is a variety of extraneous code. I think Akeeba backup would give you much better results.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 am

What version of php does your new server run ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am

Problem is I have 1.0.12 does the backup utility exist for this version? I've tried doing a migration before to 1.5.. It went less than smoothly

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:09 am

The Akeeba backup predecessor Joomlapack should work. Check out - https://www.akeebabackup.com/support/ak ... a-10x.html

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Alright - I have tried backing up using joomlapack however the problem still persists, any suggestions?

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Webdongle wrote:What version of php does your new server run ?
PHP5

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Rcheesley suggested that you try moving the site using Akeeba backup (i.e. backup up your original site, download the file to your computer, upload the file to the new site and unpack it with kickstart.php and do a reinstall with Akeeba backup). You said you were using J1.0. That is when I said JoomlaPack should work for 1.0. You write "I have tried backing up using joomlapack however the problem still persists".

Did you attempt to backup and move the original site. Or did you just backup your second (non-working) site?

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 pm

I backed up the original site, unzipped onto the new server and imported the original sql dump from the working site.

It also seems the disabling SEF doesn't change the format of the url at all so I'm not sure if it's working properly.. I did have SEF working on the original site though.

Could it be something in the htaccess file?

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 pm

I think you are making progress (even if it doesn't look like it to you.) What I am seeing now on the front page looks good. The earlier version had elements showing up in strange places. When I look at the source code it looks much cleaner - more like I expect to see from a Joomla site.

Yes, you still do have sef issues. The services link shows jsbc.com/services/services.html. In your earlier post, you said you tried to turn off sef without success. What that under Global Configuration? Do you have a third party sef extension? Did you try to disable it? Uninstall it?

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:20 am

I turned it off under global config aswell as manually editing the configuration.php - however the url path still looks the same after which leads me to thinking perhaps it is hard coded somewhere?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 pm

If you have a Component that uses a hard coded path ... that would do it. Also rewrite www to non www in the .htaccess ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

jacobsharkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jacobsharkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Here is my.htaccess file
http://pastie.org/private/ccaqqpl3nhhpnnpzjqmbq

I'm thinking something is hardcoded by the fact that some of the links go back to the original site, i'm just not sure where it would be coded.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Do you have something called live site set in your configuration.php file? This can sometimes cause problems with sites if it's pointing at the old site. Make sure all your SEF is disabled, check all your menu items to make sure that they are not hard-coded URL links (in which case, change them to link properly rather than hard-coded, by choosing the resource - e.g. content article).

If you're still having problems let me know, I'm happy to take a look for you!

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”