Languages - a little buggy Joomla :)

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
krabats
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Languages - a little buggy Joomla :)

Post by krabats » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi guys,

I faced one small bug which, kills some amount of my nerves and some time. I want to use some joomla functionality to get my joomla module work on different languages. So , I wrote some ini files with translation texts and put them on right place.

When I opened page where shoud appear my translated texts I faced that some texts are translated and some aren't. It was so strange.

After some time I tried to shift all texts in my language ini file one line down. So , all my texts was translated correctly. It's a Magic !!! :)

Actually when we save files in utf-8 or unicode format - editors at first 2 bytes store special information - which identifies that theses files are utf8 or unicode files ... these 2 bytes are some ascii sumbols which we can't see. Due to this first line of ini file is unusable when we want to put there translation.

I Hope that Joomla guys can fix this issue .. if not - that they will write in documentation in upper case - "DO NOT USE" first line of ini files to put there translation texts. :)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Languages - a little buggy Joomla :)

Post by infograf768 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 am

Wrong.
We can now save ini files with BOM in the 1.6-2.5 series.
If you use Notepad++ ot BBedit, you will be safe. You can also choose to save without BOM.
This was required in 1.5
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

krabats
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Languages - a little buggy Joomla :)

Post by krabats » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:47 am

Strange ... I used Joomla version 2.5.1 Stable ( Platform Version Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT ) when I faced this.

If it is working for You - Ok! Never mind! - I will leave first line of ini files for some comments as others and will forget about it.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”