Moving Joomla to new server | Images Directory no changed...

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Moving Joomla to new server | Images Directory no changed...

Post by markphsd_ » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 am

Hi, I've moved my files to a new server. Things are pretty much okay, except for a couple issues:
I'm running Joomla 1.5

1. The Top Toolbar is not visible on the new server.
2. Some of the other Menu's are not visible across the site.
3. The Images Directory still shows the original server, not the IP Address of the new server.

Any ideas? I've changed the settings in the config file, so the Configuration shows he correct paths.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Moving Joomla to new server | Images Directory no change

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 am

Sometimes your template will have its own image folder, have you checked that all of your template files have been transferred?

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

To make this more clear, I have attached a few images of the different problems.

1. No check boxes or enable/disable in plug ins.
2. Correct IP in the system and server settings in he cofig
3. Wrong path in the File section for media.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Couple of things to try, first do a Check In, Cache Flush and Cache Purge on the new site then test to see if that helped. Try another browser or try deleting your browser's temp Internet files and any cookies for your old/new domain, then test.

Could be you are missing some site files, try uploading your site files again and test. Make sure your FTP program is set to overwrite existing files and that it is set to Auto mode.

Check your new site's php version, you need Joomla 1.5.15 or higher to be compatible with php 5.3.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Okay, it was the 1.5.9 to 1.5.25 issue. That helped out a lot.

But, there's still a lot of images that aren't showing up on the website. I believe this is because the folder path is still not being changed.

In the Media module, the path still has the domain name instead of the IP Address. Where is this setting coming from and how do I change it?

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Also, I can see the pictures in the administration Articles Page, they don't show up in the normal website.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm

You could try adding the IP address to the Live_Site var in your site's configuration.php file, remember no trailing slash on the end of the url. I have seen where Joomla can have problems with IP addresses and temporary domain names before, this may be part of the issue.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 pm

I was inspecting the elements in my browser.
I found that on the live site the image path was:
/images/industry_sites/coffee.jpg
Where the IP Address Based site was:
images/industry_sites/coffee.jpg

So what this yields for the full page is wrong. It doesn't backstep up to the parent directory can't ever find the path to the image. So how do I get that / in front of the images folder?

In fact, this also applies to links. Many things that use the relative path do not have a / in front of them, and so use the current directory to find things.

In the config they were both the same, but the IP doesn't have a .com And in the Config File they both were the same except for the ip and the .com at the end.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Check in the Global Config settings that you have the correct image folder path, under the System tab;
Image-path.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:14 am

That's what I have, it's the same in both sites.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:19 am

Try running the Forum Post Assistant on your new site and see if it finds any server issues. Generate the text and post back your results.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:02 am

This is for the new server on the IP. Open Base shows the domain name, not the IP Address
Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.0) : 8th March 2012 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 1.5.25-Stable (senu takaa ama mamni) 14-November-2011
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Read-Only (444) | Owner: 10001 (uid: /gid: ) | Group: 505 (gid: ) | Valid For: 1.5
Configuration Options :: Offline: 0 | SEF: 1 | SEF Suffix: 1 | SEF ReWrite: 1 | .htaccess/web.config: Yes | GZip: 0 | Cache: 0 | FTP Layer: 0 | SSL: 0 | Error Reporting: -1 | Site Debug: 0 | Language Debug: 0 | Database Credentials Present: Yes

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.32-220.4.1.el6.x86_64 | Technology: x86_64 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch | Doc Root: /var/www/vhosts/cafecartel.com/httpdocs | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.3.3 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: No | Display Errors: on | Error Reporting: ~E_ALL | Log Errors To: | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: | Safe Mode: off | Open Base: /var/www/vhosts/cafecartel.com/httpdocs/:/tmp/:/var/www/vhosts/cafecartel.com/httpsdocs/:/tmp/ | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 10M | Max. POST Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 60 | Memory Limit: 128M

MySQL Configuration :: Version: 5.1.61 (Client:5.1.61) | Host: --protected-- (--protected--) | Collation: utf8_general_ci (Character Set: utf8) | Database Size: 23.72 MiB | #of _FPA_TABLE: 433
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (5.3.3) | date (5.3.3) | ereg () | libxml () | openssl () | pcre () | zlib (1.1) | bz2 () | calendar () | ctype () | hash (1.0) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gettext () | gmp () | session () | iconv () | pcntl () | readline () | Reflection ($Revision: 300393 $) | standard (5.3.3) | shmop () | SPL (0.2) | SimpleXML (0.1) | sockets () | exif (1.4 $Id: exif.c 293036 2010-01-03 09:23:27Z sebastian $) | tokenizer (0.1) | xml () | cgi-fcgi () | curl () | dom (20031129) | fileinfo (1.0.5-dev) | gd () | imap () | json (1.2.1) | mbstring () | mysql (1.0) | mysqli (0.1) | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | Phar (2.0.1) | sqlite3 (0.7-dev) | wddx () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | xsl (0.1) | zip (1.9.1) | ionCube Loader () | Zend Engine (2.3.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: mcrypt | suhosin |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: Yes | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (Cloud/Grid): No
Potential Ownership Issues: Maybe
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (777) | components/ (777) | modules/ (777) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (777) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (777) | administrator/components/ (777) | administrator/modules/ (777) | administrator/language/ (775) | administrator/templates/ (777) |
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: CCS_1_Main (1.0) | CCS_1_Main (1.0) | CCS_1_Default (1.0) | CCS (1.0) | beez (1.0.0) | CCS_1_Home (1.0) | rhuk_milkyway (1.0.2) | CCS_1_LeftNav (1.0) | beez (1.0.0) | rhuk_milkyway (1.0.2) | JA_Purity (1.2.0) | JA_Purity (1.2.0) | CCS_1_Main (1.0) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: Khepri (1.0) |

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:17 am

The setting show you have Joomla's SEF enabled, try disabling it and rename the .htaccess file to htaccess.txt, then test. It could be that the SEF settings can not handle the IP address with no .com. Could also be that your .htaccess file has code in it for the old domain.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Okay, turning off SEF solved it.

The htaccess files are the same on both. They just have the RewriteEngine On and the SEF section uncommented.

There is no domain info in there. I'll need the SEF working. Any ideas?

Thanks for your continued help by the way.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 pm

If you read through the htaccess file you will see that there are changes you can make to make it compatible with Host servers where it doesn't work by default. Try searching the forum with SEF, htaccess and your Host's name and see if anyone has posted a solution for your Host.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:55 pm

I read through this to make sure I didn't mis anything. But..

I didn't change my host. I 'm using the same host, just a new server.
Also, the Media Directory still shows the domain instead of the IP. So although switching off SEF Fixed the images in the articles, I believe it's really the setting that stores the media path that is the problem.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm

dpacadmin wrote:Check in the Global Config settings that you have the correct image folder path, under the System tab;
Image-path.gif
Try changing the path, Save, then change it back and see if Joomla picks up on the new location. The problem could still be the IP address as Joomla can have problems with IP addresses.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 pm

I understand that the joomla has issues with IP based, but the fact it's retaining the domain in the media directory is a concern and because everything else works besides images. I thought the media path issue would be fairly apparent and seen before. So if I can resolve this or figure out why, then I don't have to dig around with other issues I'm not aware of or things I'm not familiar with.

I've spent some time looking at the stuff you mentioned. But without pinpointing the problem, I'm hesitant to start making changes. Since I know that the domain is in the media directory, it makes sense for me to focus on that.

However, once this gets resolved, if it doesn't answer it, this is the following stuff I need to figure out and resolve:

Regarding the images directory. This is a sub-directory and it's correct. The image path is correct, that was actually in my first post. This post is getting quite long so I wouldn't expect you to remember it all.

When inspecting the elements using firefox and chrome, the path for images in the domain site is /images/ wear-as the ip site is images/ no leading forward slash on the IP Site. I would believe this is an IP issue.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 am

I understand that your paths were correct, what I was asking was that you change then Save in order to make a change in the database, then change it back to the correct path. A change to the database may be all that is needed, forcing a refresh of the database data.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Sorry about that.

Okay, I did it. It saved, guess what: No change to the site. I renamed images to imagess. It saved, I confirmed it saved by leaving the configuration and going back in. Then I went on the site, and browsed around. All the images were still there. (While SEF is turned off)

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Check the articles or modules where the problem images are and see if they are coded with the wrong url, or an absolute url rather then a relative one. Check to see if your editor of choice has a setting for the images path in its component or module settings.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm

I consistently use relative (except in very few cases). A few posts up I had examined this.

"I was inspecting the elements in my browser.
I found that on the live site the image path was:
/images/industry_sites/coffee.jpg
Where the IP Address Based site was:
images/industry_sites/coffee.jpg"

This stays the same with or without SEF On. But with SEF Off, the site 'appears' to be working

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Found one more thing...

In plesk, if I change the domain (not the real domain, just whats in plesk) to mydomain.com from what it is now, the site stops working. But it shouldn't because things are supposed to be relative.

So is there a place to search for where it references my domain, and just replace those with the IP Address.

I'm getting more confused. Also, I figured I could swap the DNS Records on the domain, because even if it wasn't relative, it would be on back on my main domain, but that didn't work either.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Should I just start from the ground up? I can buy the updater for joomla 2.5 and move it. Maybe that's just the way to go.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm

markphsd_ wrote:Also, I figured I could swap the DNS Records on the domain, because even if it wasn't relative, it would be on back on my main domain, but that didn't work either.
DNS changes can take up to 48Hrs. to fully propagate, if you didn't wait the full 48 Hrs. there is no way of knowing if the DNS change made a difference.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 pm

I did wait. I could tell when it changed. I made a slight mod to the template to verify the site was changed, when the template changed, I knew it was propagated.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Are these just random images that will not show or are they images within a specific module or part of an extension like slide show, or VirtueMart for example? If they are part of an extension it could be the extension has its own image path setting.

I may have already asked but did you check your Live_Site var in your site's configuration.php file? Make sure it has no trailing slash(no slash on the end of the url), and if it has a url try testing your site with no url between the quotes.

markphsd_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markphsd_ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Funny thing is it's backwards. It's the images in Articles. I thought it would be a module problem, but the slideshows and other modules all show the pictures. It's also links in articles. Things that are using a relative path in the articles it could be said, maybe that's more clear. The modules themselves are showing pictures fine.

My site var:
var $live_site = 'http://XX.XX.XX.XX';

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am

Test with the var empty.
Try uploading your site's "includes" folder again, I believe that is where the url is built.
Try enabling Joomla's Debug and Error Reporting(set to Maximum) in the Global Configuration settings and see if they give any clues to the problem.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Something else to check, have you looked at the jos_content table to see if the slash is in the database? If it is saved in the database them maybe it was a bad database Export that added it.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”