Moving Joomla to new server, get "500 Internal Server Error"

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
henryvuong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Moving Joomla to new server, get "500 Internal Server Error"

Post by henryvuong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 am

I moved my Joomla site (version 1.5) to a new server and get this error when attempting to view the front page :
500 Internal Server Error
The request was not completed. The server met an unexpected condition.
my_ip_address/~my_username/joomla/ (port 80)
Please forward this error screen to my_ip_address's WebMaster.
Apache Server at my_ip_address Port 80
In the quote above, I replaced the real ip address with "my_ip_address" and the real username with "my_username" to protect my identity. The entire site is placed under the "joomla" directory.

I can, however, access the back end administrator as usual.

I ran a test by inserting some individual HTML file in the "joomla" directory and try to view it through the link "my_ip_address/~my_username/joomla/testfile.html" and it works. It seems like only the files that belong to Joomla in the front end are inaccessible. All these files belong to a joomla site that has been running for a year in another server.

Does anybody have any idea why I got this error?

nikkyg
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Moving Joomla to new server, get "500 Internal Server Er

Post by nikkyg » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:06 am

Hi,

Not too sure about the error message. However, it would be nice to share how you moved the installation (and content).

I normally do it using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart it on the other server. Never was it that I got an error message.

Thanks,
Nikky
- Nikky G
“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” ― Mark Twain
www.aquireservices.com

MrBeeblebrox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MrBeeblebrox » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:15 am

Check to see that URL rewriting is enabled in apache and if it's not check you .htaccess file if it has lines like:

Code: Select all

RewriteRule ^index.htm$ / [L]
That is your problem.

Internal server errors are always apache configuration problems and not related to the source code, 99% of the time.

iammultiman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iammultiman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

In my experience it is often a plugin that is malfunctioning. Try disabling plugins of modules and components you have uninstalled. or debug by disabling plugins and modules one after the other... remember to re-enable them. so far worked for me.

In my case in one instance a virtuemart plugin virtuemart product snapshot was the culprit. (i had uninstalled virtuemart but did not uninstall the plugin)

haisham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by haisham » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:05 am

Did you tried to change folder permission to 775 for the following folders?:

cache, logs, tmp & administrator/cache

Return to “Installation 1.5”