How do authors find and edit unpublished articles?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
trekracer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

How do authors find and edit unpublished articles?

Post by trekracer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 pm

How do authors find and edit unpublished articles they have created?

I've searched for the answer, and the 5 or 6 threads I get indicate that I would have to use a third party extension that seems to be disappearing.

My authors expect to be able to view and edit their content before it is published. Also, they are complaining that they can't save partial work, because the article just vanishes after they press save, and they can't get back to it.

Joomla is a very popular CMS, so this just doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

Thank you!

Joomla 1.6.1

The following content from docs.joomla.org titled "How do authors find and edit unpublished articles they have created?" describes my question very well, but at the top of the web page, it says, "This article is a stub and needs to be expanded," and there is no answer.

A user who is a member of the "Author" group will often create articles for the site and need to make changes to those articles before they are deemed complete and ready for publication. This topic should explain how a Joomla! non-manager user (i.e. one who has access only to the "Public Front-End") can find and edit their own work-in-progress articles. Many large sites will experience this situation, since many users may be "Authors" but only a few will have access to the Joomla! Back-end.

TBD

BoBInfo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How do authors find and edit unpublished articles?

Post by BoBInfo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am

I'm a noob as well but will try to help. I'm not sure if your Authors have access to the back-end??? If so, they would need to do the following:

Article Manager > Select State > Select Unpublished

See attached image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Two suggestions on the front end.

One is to use a latest news module with the "added by me" option so that just the logged in user's articles show.

The other is to link the user to a contact record and in com_contact enable the option to show the contact's article
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

trekracer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trekracer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

@BoBINfo Thank you for the suggestion. My Authors do not have access to the Admin back-end. I thought through this idea, but it has some disadvantages:

- All of my registered users submit articles -- that's 1,000's of users who would require training and access to the Admin site. That doesn't make sense to me for a professional publishing site.

- If I allow Author access to the Admin site, Authors would be allowed to change their articles after they are published. I couldn't figure out a way to prevent this. That's a deal-breaker.

Thank you again for your suggestion. I appreciate it!

trekracer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trekracer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

@mcsmom Thank you for the suggestions.

I was intrigued by the Latest News module solution you offered.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to configure the module to display unpublished articles.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you again. I appreciate the thoughtful suggestions.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Actually this seems to be a bug. I started looking at the code this morning, and will post when we have a patch.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

DisasterArea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Bug? Unpublished articles in Latest News Modul not visible

Post by DisasterArea » Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 am

Hallo,

I was just searching for a configuration on how authors could find and edit their unpublished articles and tried the described solution whith the "latest news" modul on Joomla! 1.6.3 Stable.

I can confirm, that the unpublished artikels are not listed for a user that is in the default "Editor" group. This seams to be a bug.

And by the way. The default group "Authors" ist just for users who want to submit articles. Should they have the "edit own" right or not. As default they have not.

Another point is, that the "latest news" modul just lists a few articles. How can an editor or autor see a list of all his or her articles?

hkicenet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hkicenet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am

Also looking for this solution, any comment/guideline to it? Thanks a lot

wahahey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wahahey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm

This seems to do the trick - User Article Manager - I've just installed it and it is working fine. I'll update if it all falls apart!

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... sion/18412

ap91
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ap91 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

wahahey thanks a million for that extension, it's great!!

I might be getting a bit greedy now but... thanks to the extension the authors can now edit their unpublished articles but is there anyway they can view their unpublished article on the website (without opening the editor to edit it?) (like what the "publishers" can see when logged in)

Basically, my authors want to preview how their article will look when it's published (i.e. after the template styles etc. have been applied to it, and after the image resizing plugin has done it's magic etc.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

wahahey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wahahey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 pm

The only way I can think of is if you set it so that their articles are PUBLISHED to a special category, or 'uncategorized'. Then create a menu link to the 'uncategorized' category and set permissions to 'special'. Include the link in your menu for 'special' users in the front end.

They should then be able to preview all articles which are uncategorized. The problem with this approach is unless the articles are individually set with 'special' permissions or 'nolink, nofollow' for robots then the search engines will find them (eventually) and so could web users.

Enough ramblings - someone else may have a better solution but you could have a play around with those ideas.

ap91
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ap91 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 pm

thanks for the ideas wahahey.... I'll give it go!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”