Running Joomla alongside a simple HTML site

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mrjbiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Running Joomla alongside a simple HTML site

Post by mrjbiz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I want to move my joomla development from localhost to web server, but keep the old website on that web server running for a while. The old website on the web server is a very simple set of .htm files with hyperlinks between them. I figured if I install Joomla into the same directory as the old website, then set the default page to be the index page from the old website instead of the joomla site, everything would be hunky-dory. When the time comes to shut down the old website, I would simply remove the files and the Joomla site would automatically become the default site.

I've tried using the directoryindex command in .htaccess to change the default page from index.php to index.htm, but it doesn't do anything. Any suggestions would be much appriciated!

Jonathan

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Running Joomla alongside a simple HTML site

Post by pxforti » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I recommend leaving your site alone until you're ready to switch to joomla and then install the joomla site. You shouldn't have any other files in the joomla directory since it makes it very difficult later to detamine which files are joomla and which are not.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

MrBeeblebrox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MrBeeblebrox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 am

there are a few thigns you can do.

First option is the .htaccess one

Don't rewrite URIs that exist

Code: Select all

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [L]
Second option is installing onto a sub domain like beta.mysite.com

keshavpareek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keshavpareek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 am

Hello mrjbiz,
What I suggest you just create a subdomain for your Joomla site and this will not impact your live site or you can install Joomla in any folder instead direct on root.

you can also try this

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ index.html [R=301,L]

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”