All Directory Permissions are Unwritable

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LadyDarkStar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

All Directory Permissions are Unwritable

Post by LadyDarkStar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:38 am

I installed Joomla 2.5.4 on my computer and each time I try to install something I get the message "Warning: Failed to move file!" Then I found out that all directory permissions are set to unwritable and I need to change that to writable.

I have been looking all day for a way to do that, but everything I found says to change the FTP settings and the server settings (or something like that). My question is, how am I supposed to do that? I also can't figure out where the 777 permission that everyone is talking about is.

RobertW
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: All Directory Permissions are Unwritable

Post by RobertW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 am

First thing I would try is installing Akeeba Admin Tools. There is a feature built in to that extension that will check and fix permissions for you automatically if possible.

It sounds like you're not super familiar with directory permissions, and that's a pretty important thing to get right. Badly set permissions can be a huge security hole in your site, so be very careful.

Setting permissions to 777 means anyone can do anything basically. When things are working well in a Joomla installation, directories should be set to 755 and files to 644, in general. This determines who has access and what they can do.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: All Directory Permissions are Unwritable

Post by mandville » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am

[ ] Run the Forum Post Assistant / FPA Instructions available here and are also included in the download package.

[ ] Review and action Security Checklist checklist 7 to make sure you've gone through all of the steps.

[ ] Use proper permissions on files and directories. They should never be 777, but ideal is 644 and 755
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”