Unpublished listing without notification

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Unpublished listing without notification

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Why are you unpublishing extensions without prior notification? If anything is wrong with the listing send a mail first. Or at least put a notification in the listing about what is wrong so we can correct it.

My listing has been unpublished and no explanation whatsoever.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Unpublished listing without notification

Post by vdrover » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:20 pm

This is a pretty typical workflow for at least the last year, but you you must have received an email notice after the fact, yes?
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

No, I haven't!

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Strange. What's the listing URL?
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... wcase/6846

It should at least say why it has been unpublished under EDIT, this way I have no idea that it's been done and why.

Thanks for your reply btw.

EDIT: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 46/details

Editor's note
This extension has been unpublished for the following reason:

No reason given whatsoever.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm

I also had the same thing happen, we had an extension unpublished due to broken links and the first we heard about it was due to the fact we hadn't received any orders for a couple of weeks!

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

mlipscomb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mlipscomb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:31 pm

When a listing is unpublished, an email is automatically sent out with a link included to view the UR codes. If you didn't see the email, maybe it ended up in your spam box. We do not send out notification PRIOR to unpublishing. Ensuring your links are always up-to-date on your listing should be a priority for all developers as it is a simple issue that can easily be avoided.
~Matt Lipscomb
http://www.USAFreelancers.org
Professional Joomla! Services and Web Development based in the USA

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Exactly, same with me. Haven't realized until a customer sent me a mail. And who knows for how long it has been unpublished.
But that's not the worst thing, there is no error code, no notice, no reason whatsoever. I have all links working, valid GPL license, description, everything. The only thing I can think of may be a bit outdated attached zip. But I would have fixed that if I got a notice, or if someone at least put some reason for unpublishing.

This way they leave much room for speculation about possible reasons, not good at all.

Still waiting for someone to explain why it has been unpublished and when it will be published again...

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 pm

mlipscomb wrote:When a listing is unpublished, an email is automatically sent out with a link included to view the UR codes. If you didn't see the email, maybe it ended up in your spam box. We do not send out notification PRIOR to unpublishing. Ensuring your links are always up-to-date on your listing should be a priority for all developers as it is a simple issue that can easily be avoided.
OK, you are not sending notifications PRIOR to unpublishing (you should) and you may have sent an email, I may have missed it (although I don't think so, it's whitelisted) but why there is no code and no reason for unpublishing on the listing page? http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 46/details nor EDIT page.

How would I know why it has been unpublished if I missed the email by any reason?

Anyway, can you have a look on my listing and let me know why it has been unpublished?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 pm

while i understand that some developers would like a "pretty please" email prior to unpublishing, that would involve several "if,but,when" situations
eg
if you had a blanket rule that all devs were sent an email and jed had to wait for 7 days before unpublishing, but what about vel issues, or gpl contraventions, or broken links etc?

i would say that to make the process the same for every one, and the negligible amount of emails/descriptions that go missing, the current system is working.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 pm

I am fine with unpublishing it without notice but I am not fine with unpublishing without stating a reason on the actual listing. Open http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 46/details - no reason given. And I am still chasing JED editors to tell me the reason.

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am

Hello !
grab me on skype for faster work around to solved this.. As I am not the one that unpublished your extension need more detail.

lafrance
VEL contributor @ http://docs.joomla.org/Investigation_of_exploits
OSM,Trademark and Licensing Team,jed editor
Please no pm direct contact irc freenode.net #joomla

mlipscomb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mlipscomb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:39 am

@Saka - The UR code wasn't selected when unpublished. This is something an editor does manually (there's never any auto-unpublishing, all reports are handled by an editor). The UR Code now shows correctly. Though you can click the link that's now displayed in the listing and view the code details, it is referring to the domain limitations on your extension which is direct violation of the TOS.
~Matt Lipscomb
http://www.USAFreelancers.org
Professional Joomla! Services and Web Development based in the USA

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 am

Ok, first NOW I have received the email and see the codes. So clearly you haven't sent an unpublishing email and you haven't stated the reason for unpublishing (whoever did it) which kept me unaware of the issue for days. You can call it negligible all you want but that's an error from your side which costs me sale.

Now, you also unpublished it for false reasons, without checking your facts. I have no idea which domain limitations you are talking about. The code is open source, license is GPL, every file says it's GPL, nothing in the code restricts its usage.

On my site it says support and upgrades for 12 months / site, which means I SUPPORT one site for 12 months per one installation. Nothing prevents user to install it on 100 sites though, but he doesn't get support for all of them.

So more info on where you see the violation and how I correct it is welcome.

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 am

OK, lafrance was kind to work with me directly and help resolve the issue.
I took some extra steps in making it more clear there are no domain restrictions nor limitations in number of installations, although I think it was clear enough already.

I hope you will take some extra steps too, like making it impossible to unpublish a listing without setting an error code first and without sending an unpublished alert email.

The way this was handled I had no idea it had been unpublished and why and could not react. An irreparable damage has been done in terms of sales loss and listing result in 404 for a time long enough to make it disappear from Google search.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi there,

I definitely did not receive any emails either (I searched back through my mail) when our extension was unpublished (due to a bug with our subscription extension which broke some links for like, 2 days). I agree with Emir that there should be some way of making the error code selection mandatory.

I totally understand the volume of work that the JED team do, but problems like this which could be a fairly simple fix will end up generating you more work!

It would be preferable to have a 'we're going to unpublish your extension in xx days if you don't fix <insert error code> by that time and update your listing' warning email for the less critical error codes (obviously for a vulnerable extension it would be immediate, but if there is a broken link or something similar which wasn't critical) which could be automated if there is no update to the extension within that timeframe?

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Hello Ruth !

Please contact me directly and we can resolved your problem ASAP
If you have my skype or tweet info maybe faster if not leave me a personal note
Pierre

Saka
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Saka » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 pm

@lafrance I think he got it resolved already. We are just suggesting ways to improve the system and prevent things like this from happening again. Only it seems it falls on deaf ears.

Thanks again for your help last night, really appreciate it.

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello thanks for reply maybe there a problem with the system not sending proper email

for dev I am at march 26 submission if your extension as not been publish and no email send this would confirm there is a problem

cmext
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cmext » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:23 pm

There is no notification mail when a pending extension gets an error on submission. I have just check our extension, it's a long time since we submitted it and well, it got an error and we recevied no email, i wonder when this happened.

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 pm

@cmext
Without detail of your extension I cannot confirm it

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”