Falang support

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Falang support

Post by biirc » Thu May 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi,

This is a Falang support post on joomla.org.

Stéphane
Falang
Last edited by ooffick on Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.

hrc1967
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Falang support

Post by hrc1967 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 am

Hello Stephane,

Thanks for all your work, this really is an indispensible extension. I'm having a bit of trouble with it though, and I'm pretty sure it's because something is not working or configured correctly in the language switcher.

I have Joomla 2.5.4 and the latest version of Falang. I have English (UK) and German language packs installed, and created the correct content language for German. German is supposed to be the default language. I haven't tried it the other way around.

1) The active language is always displayed on the language switcher in the frontend, whether the option is activated or not in the language switcher module in the backend.

2) I can create translations in the backend, but clicking on the language switcher in the frontend does not display the translation.

3) I had a bit of trouble with an English translation of one article persistently being displayed while everything else was in German, but I solved it by saving the German original as a copy and deleting the original. Regrettably, I cannot get any translations to display in the frontend now, not even the one that didn't want to go away before. :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ray

P.S. I just installed Falang on a second site. Same behavior. :(

chrisjclay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisjclay » Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 am

Hi Stéphane,

Thanks for a great extension! For me it's working perfectly except for one thing. When I'm about to do a translation, if I look at the preview of the original text, images are always broken. However, if I click "copy" then they appear correctly in the translation; see attached screen capture. Any idea what would cause this behaviour?

Cheers,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clay & Co.
Web development powered by Joomla!

Web: www.clayco.ca
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/clayco_ca

Horoman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Horoman » Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Ray

Do you have the right language switcher module on your page. You should have the falang language switcher and not the built in...

Then the two system plugins needs to be enabled: falang something and the build language filter.

cheers
Horoman

hrc1967
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hrc1967 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Horoman wrote:Hi Ray

Do you have the right language switcher module on your page. You should have the falang language switcher and not the built in...

Then the two system plugins needs to be enabled: falang something and the build language filter.

cheers
Horoman
I had the right language switcher (mod_falang) and the Falang database driver was activated, but not the system language filter. Activating this seems to have solved the problem! ;) Thanks so much for this tip!!! :-[

bobzilla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Falang / Accordeon Menu conflict?

Post by bobzilla » Sun May 06, 2012 12:45 am

I have Falang installed on 2.5.4 running the K2 component.

I'm using Accordeon Menu CK module for my side menus. Also with Advanced Module Manager.

After I install and configure Falang the Accordeon side menu module disappears. And doesn't reappear even after removing the Falang component.

Thankfully it hasn't caused me too much of a headache as the site is still only in development and I've got a backup from just before the install of Falang. :)

Thanks

Neil

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by biirc » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi,

It's probably not a falang problem.
I think your module is set to a specific language and when you configure falang you have activated the system - language filter plugin.
So even if you uninstall falang your module can't be see.

I'm not sure but i think your problem is this one.

Stéphane

bobzilla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobzilla » Tue May 08, 2012 5:02 am

So I've set all menus to Language all. Set the Accordeon Menu module to language all. Still not displaying when Falang is installed and activated.

You were correct about the System - Language Filter plugin. After I uninstalled Falang again I deactivated the plugin and cleared the Joomla cache the Accordeon menu returned.

Would definitely appear that Falang and Accordeon Menu CK don't like each other. I haven't tried with other menus / translation combos yet. I see that Joomfish has just gone alpha1.

I may just sit back for now and watch the developments.

ganzgross
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ganzgross » Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi Stéphane,

Thank you for your effort you put into it. Falang is pretty usefull for me and others i guess.
Today i discovered a problem with translated articles that i want to edit from the frontend. When i do so the translated content will be written over the original content in the standard language. In the end i have a translated version and a corrected translation version but the original is gone.
Have i done something wrong or is that a known bug/not implemented yet?
This function is very importend to us, because we use it for a knowledgebase in the intranet for all our branches worldwide in 6 languages.

I'm looking forward to your answer
kind regards
Tim

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by biirc » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,

Actually Falang don't make frontend translation , I don't like it but it's in the todo list.

Stéphane

ganzgross
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ganzgross » Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 am

biirc wrote:Hi,

Actually Falang don't make frontend translation , I don't like it but it's in the todo list.

Stéphane
Thx for quick response.

sweup
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by sweup » Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hi

Please see attached, FaLang translated to Swedish (intall thru back-end)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.joomlasverige.se
Översättningar av tillägg, intervjuer och mer
http://www.begravningsportalen.se - Allt om begravning, sorg och gemenskap

SachaKay
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SachaKay » Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm about to bash my head on my desk...

Been trying to get FaLang running since yesterday. I'm having the latest FaLang version on a 2.5.4. Joomla version.

I've done everything according to the FaLang installation instructions (and even changed my dbase settings to MySQLi).

As soon as I activate the two plugins (database driver and filter), my entire website falls into a 404-error status.

I've installed four language packs, have set 'dutch' to default. As soon as I activate the plugins, the site automatically changes the link with a /nl/ extension. Somehow it seems as if 'it' gets lost from there with the 404-error as a result.

Tried to translate every default dutch article into dutch to see if it could find content then, but nope. Still 404.

I really hope there's someone out here to help me!

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by biirc » Wed May 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi sweup,

It's possible to make your file available on faboba the falang site ?

SachaKay, read all instruction on the faboba site. You can probably unpublish the falang database driver and see you still have 404. system filter is a joomla plugin. Falang work with it.

Stéphane

sweup
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by sweup » Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Sure, you can use it on our site. We will also publish the translation on our Swedish Joomla resource site:
http://joomlasverige.se/oversattningar/164-FaLang
http://www.joomlasverige.se
Översättningar av tillägg, intervjuer och mer
http://www.begravningsportalen.se - Allt om begravning, sorg och gemenskap

SachaKay
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SachaKay » Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 am

biirc wrote: SachaKay, read all instruction on the faboba site. You can probably unpublish the falang database driver and see you still have 404. system filter is a joomla plugin. Falang work with it.
Stéphane
Thanks for your response. Like I said in my initial post: I have followed all the instructions!

If I turn off the falang database driver and keep the system filter on, I still have the 404.

When I had the default language on English, it only showed the English flag (not the German, Dutch or French that I've got installed as well) on the website. As soon as I changed the default language back to Dutch, it showed 404 and I've even seen 500 error code.

I'm giving up. I just can't seem to get it to work.

SachaKay.

lacasettabio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lacasettabio » Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,
I installed Falang for my first time two days ago. My site is in italian and I'd like the english translation. I'm using Joomla 2.5.4.
I'm going crazy :'(

I can not see the translation on my site. If I click on the flag to see the english version i see always the italian version.

I checked every step on installation like this:
www.faboba.com/en/composants/falang/installation.html

I can see the translations on the control panel of Falang and they are published and the state is ok.

Please could you help me?

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by biirc » Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Are you sure the System- Language filter is published ?

Stéphane

lacasettabio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lacasettabio » Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm

biirc wrote:Are you sure the System- Language filter is published ?

Stéphane
Yes, here a screenshot!

lacasettabio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lacasettabio » Fri May 11, 2012 6:39 am

biirc wrote:Are you sure the System- Language filter is published ?

Stéphane
Hi, i found the issue.
The access of english language was on special. I set it on public and all works.
Thanks
Bye

Wari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Wari » Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi all !

I have installed the falang component. Its working correctly but i can't make it to appear the 3 languages, only appears English on the website (i have installed the 2 other languages in the administrator correctly)

thanks !
Last edited by imanickam on Mon May 14, 2012 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: renamed the topic from Faland with 3 languages to Falang Support and Merged the topic to this thread.

lacasettabio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lacasettabio » Mon May 14, 2012 7:47 am

Hi, now i have a question.
Can Falang translate the URL?
If yes, could you tell me how?
Thanks

makevalue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by makevalue » Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 pm

lacasettabio wrote:Hi, now i have a question.
Can Falang translate the URL?
If yes, could you tell me how?
Thanks
I am interested too.

piamiel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Falang doesn't work when editing two languages in Frontend

Post by piamiel » Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

I have installed Falang. Translations work perfectly from backend side, but when we try to edit the pages in Frontend side, it does not work. It always updates the language that is updated last for both pages (English and Finnish). Do you have a solutions for this?
Last edited by imanickam on Fri May 18, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged the topic with the topic 'Falang Supprt'

leopat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leopat » Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello, i'm very happy with the falang component, but i have a question.
How can i translate the component contacts.
I have create two contacts, one in portuguese and other in English, and when i go to falang i go to menu, and select the contact i have created in english, but it want save, it remains in portuguese.

Please can you help me.

lpaseen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lpaseen » Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 am

I got a falang problem with what I think is cached info.
I have a site where default language is english. I copied it to a new host with the intent to make swedish the default language and english the secondary. After installing falang and getting things working I started the translations, first of the original (categories, menus, module names, articles...) and then in to falang to create the english version but no matter what I do english is stuck in some places. For example, one menu option is now "contact us" no matter what I do, and that includes that I don't have "contact us" anywhere in the system (no menu/category/module/article/translation is named "contact us")
I also see some module alternatives that I have removed are still available for translation.
I'm not sure but I think the problem is mostly on alternatives where I changed the original to Swedish, seems like the initial English text is stuck. I have disabled/flushed all cache things I found but they are all system wide, don't see any at falang level.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix it ?

Update: After kicking on it for a while I found one of my problems. Initially I started with English as default and later I switched to have Swedish as default but the english-swedish translations I had before was still around and for unknown reason they where the ones that got stuck. After removing all of them translation started to work properly.
Now I just wonder how to get rid of modules I deleted from the falang translation page.
Last edited by lpaseen on Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkBlaze
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DarkBlaze » Fri May 18, 2012 10:19 am

leopat wrote:Hello, i'm very happy with the falang component, but i have a question.
How can i translate the component contacts.
I have create two contacts, one in portuguese and other in English, and when i go to falang i go to menu, and select the contact i have created in english, but it want save, it remains in portuguese.

Please can you help me.
Since I also needed this I wrote the content elements, so here they are...
Unzip first, and install each xml through the Falang or just copy extracted files to administrator/components/com_falang/contentelements/

Jervin_H
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jervin_H » Sat May 19, 2012 1:13 pm

biirc wrote:Hi,

This is the official Falang support post on joomla.org.

Stéphane
Falang

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tent/18210
First of all let me thank you Stephane for this wonderful extension.

I have Falang installed and working to translate my menu, but when I tried to translate the content all I see is a blank white page with the following text displays.
Falang Version V1.1.3 (free), Copyright by Faboba
Joomla! 2.5.4

Joomla!® is free software released under the GNU General Public License.
here's the screenshot

Geoale
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Geoale » Tue May 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi there!

I am trying out Falang and am getting a 500 error on articles that do not have a Main Menu link, I mean, uncategorised articles with no link in any menu. Links that are hard coded to go straight for the item ID.
Falang Version V1.1.3 (free), Copyright by Faboba
PHP Built On Windows NT NEXUS 6.0 build 6002 (Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2) i586
Database Version 5.5.16
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.3.8
Web Server Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
WebServer to PHP Interface apache2handler
Joomla! Version Joomla! 2.5.4 Stable [ Ember ] 2-April-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.46 Safari/536.5
When I turn off the Falang Driver, everything works again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Please do tell!

:)

Geoale
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Geoale » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

It turns out that it happens only when "Search Engine Frienfly URLs", under Global Configuration, is enabled.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”