New template installed, no style in Template Manager

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

New template installed, no style in Template Manager

Post by fiddledebi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello all,

I have made a copy of Beez_20 and renamed it, including the references to the language files and the filenames of those languages. I uploaded the directory for my new template via FTP and used the "Discover" function to find and install the template. I can see the template itself in the template manager, but there is no corresponding "Style" in the list of available styles.

I can't figure out a way to change existing styles to use a different template, or a way to create a new style that uses my new template. Can anyone give me any ideas about this?

Many thanks,
Debi

Ganeron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: New template installed, no style in Template Manager

Post by Ganeron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 am

I am having this exact same problem. I installed some downloaded templates I found online, and (seemingly) installed them successfully by using the Discover function.

However, when I go to the Template Manager, no new styles appear. The templates all show up when I click Templates, but no styles appear. Are we doing something wrong?

fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fiddledebi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:06 am

I don't know, but I wish someone could help. I have a lovely set of changes to Beez that I don't know how to save so that upgrades won't overwrite them. It's driving me nuts!

Anyone? Super grateful person on this end...

kohlsstream
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kohlsstream » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:30 pm

I have the same problem here as well. Ive created a template, triple-checked my XML details, uploaded it, discovered it and installed it. Its showing under the "templates" tab of the template manager, but not the "styles" tab of the template manager - so how am I supposed to activate it by making it default?

This is so frustrating, its there but i cant flick the switch. I cant find the answer anywhere...its such an important thing...would be really pleased if someone could help me (and the forum) out.

jaduff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jaduff » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I was facing the same problem, but found an answer by playing around.

You've obviously gone to the extension manager, and hit discover, that makes the template show up.

The not so obvious thing is to then (on the same discover screen), put a tick on the discovered template, and click Install.

Then it shows up.

Hope this help.

--James

fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fiddledebi » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Didn't work for me, sadly, James.

fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fiddledebi » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Finally got it! What an annoying workaround...

I ended up creating a copy of Atomic, renaming it, zipping it, installing it through extension manager, and then saw that a template and style had been added to the template manager. After applying it to one page to be sure it worked, I used ftp to overwrite all the files in my new template directory with my reworked beez_20 files, of course taking care to change the names of the language files, css directory pointers, etc. Voila!

Hope this helps someone else too. Will x-post elsewhere.

kohlsstream
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kohlsstream » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm

I fixed it this morning but couldnt post until now - didnt want the boss to think I wasnt using my time productively! After making a few changes I doped out that I couldnt see the template under the style tab because my template name in the templateDetails.xml didnt exactly match the name of my template folder.

So if your template is in;
http://www.mysite.com/templates/awesometemplate

Then you should have a line in your templateDetails.xml that reads;
<name>awesometemplate</name>

Any of these wouldnt work...
<name>AwesomeTemplate</name>
<name>templateofawesome</name>
<name>myunderpants</name>

If I understand what youve said Debi, then it seems fairly likely that this is what your workaround ultimately addressed?

;D Would be cool to know!

webmuse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webmuse » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 pm

An addition from 1.5 to 1.6/1.7 is a new jos_template_styles table in the database. It includes the params of the template, so be sure you have these in your templateDetails.xml file before you install, or you might find you need to manually add them here. This is likely the problem with why it shows up under "Templates" but not "Styles".

WebMuse

ohno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ohno » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 am

Still not working for me. Any ideas please?

fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fiddledebi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 am

I can try to help based on my limited experience. Can you tell me what isn't working? WHat kind of error are you getting, etc.?

ohno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ohno » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Have tried installing with zip file via extension manager with discovery as well as FTP. Neither has worked.

fiddledebi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fiddledebi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 pm

OK, but what happens? It can't find the template itself, or just the style? Or are you getting an error message?

ohno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ohno » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 am

Can't find the style.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out.

grumblz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grumblz » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Just wanted to add - the need to match the template folder name with the name used in the templateDetails.xml file (see <name> ... </name>) is an easy oversight. Thanks, kohlsstream!

I just ran into this issue this morning due to a small discrepancy between the two. Thanks to your post I got it figured out fairly painlessly.

concentre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by concentre » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 pm

To anyone else that runs into this problem. In addition to the folder name and template names matching, they also need to be all lower case. Or, at least that fixed it for me :)

Huckerby3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Huckerby3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Just one other addition to this thread as I had the same problem but *still* couldn't find the right 'discover' button (I think it's cos I'm slightly drunk in truth!)

So in the spirit of being ultra clear, You click on Extensions > the Discover tab > then the 2nd disocver link which appears in the top right near install and purge cache.

dave600
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave600 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm

I had this problem too on 2.5.4 with a copy of the Atomic template. I made all the right names, in lower case, but after clicking Discover and installing it I get a blank white page. The template manager shows it on the Template tab but not on the Styles tab. In the end I had to add the record to jos_template_styles to get it to work. It's likely a PHP error of some sort that causes the blank page, but can't recall how to turn those on...

rwlinda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rwlinda » Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 am

Has anyone been able to successfully solve this? How?!

I created a new template, used lower cases and used the exact same name in de templateDetails.xml as for the folder name of the new template. Joomla documentation states a Style with the same name (+ -default) will be created after installing a new template. This doesn't happen in my case.
I can see the template under "templates", but can't assign any pages to it, as there's no Style attached to it.

I did not download a template, I created my own, so there's nothing wrong going when it comes to Joomla vs Template version.
I'm using Joomla 2.5.4

Any help would be appreciated!

*edit* I also tried copying the beez_20 style, rename the name of the folder and the <name> in de templateDetail.xml file and still only the template pops up, not the new Style

bruno717
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bruno717 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm having the same problem with a version 2.5 template I downloaded. Everything looks fine except it did not get added to the jos_template_styles table. Adding it manually made it show up on the Styles page...but I don't know what/how to set the parameters for it.

jimjam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimjam » Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi!

The reason why new templates are not appearing under Styles in the Template Manager is to bugs in the libraries/joomla/installer/adapters/template.php file.

1) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1011 ... stallation
2) http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &p=2794912

All the best,

JimJam

ravkt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravkt » Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 pm

open the index.php file and check the style sheet paths, weather the links are from new folder or not. make sure that you have copied all the files.

velociter
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by velociter » Sat May 19, 2012 10:28 am

Hi

I had this problem and followed a number of threads until I found the answer here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=28345

You need to edit one of the standard Joomla libraries and add a line of PHP

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”