Cannot upgrade Akeeba backup in Joomla extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Bryboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cannot upgrade Akeeba backup in Joomla extensions

Post by Bryboy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 am

I am having a big problem. Have tried to upgrade my Akeeba Backup as an extension in Joomla.

I am running Joomla 1.7.3. Akeeba 3.3.10 was installed. I was informed by Joomla that an update was available. Downloaded Akeeba 3.5.1. Tried to install it directly to my remote site. It would not install. Instead it gave me the message "Component Install: Custom install routine failure." So then I tried the same thing to my localhost and got the same result. I have spent hours on the Internet trying to find a solution to the problem.

Would appreciate any help you can give because at the moment I have no backup facility on my site.
Last edited by humvee on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Resolved

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Cannot upgrade Akeeba backup in Joomla extensions

Post by brian » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

If you read the installation notes for akeeba backup on the akeeba backup web site you will see that the latest version will NOT work with Joomla 173 which is out of date and insecure. You need to upgade your version of Joomla to 2.54 urgently for security reasons and then you will be able to upgrade akeeba as well. There is no pint in taking backups of a web site that can be hacked
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

TheThingIs
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TheThingIs » Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm

brian I think Bryboy wants to backup the current site before he upgrades, which is good practice...

Bryboy get Akeeba backup 3.3.13 which is compatible with 1.7 ( https://www.akeebabackup.com/compatibility.html )

Read and download here: https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/a ... -3-13.html

Once you are done, upgrade to Joomla latest version and read on the Akeeba website how to upgrade to their latest version.

Bryboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bryboy » Wed May 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Thank you for this information. I had wondered if compatibility might be the issue. I'm suprised I didn't stumble upon some documentation which told me about the incompatibility before I tried to install. Even more why Joomla allowed it to tell me 'an update was available' for an incompatible version!!! At the moment my site has a whole bunch of 0 Kb Akeeba files on it under com_akeeba so I will have to hope that a reinstall and upgrade of Joomla fixes that part of it before I then try to reinstall Akeeba. I will post developments on the site so you are aware what has transpired but thanks again for this help.

Bryboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bryboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks all. The wrong version was the problem here. Upgraded version and was eventually able to get replacement files from my wamp site which once uploaded got the website operational again. Thanks for your help - I certainly should have read the documentation first. More haste, less speed!!!

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am

[Mod note: Moved from Template Forum to Extensions Forum;]

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”