Default Joomla 2.5 Search Module open in new page

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jrun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Default Joomla 2.5 Search Module open in new page

Post by jrun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Im using the default search module for Joomla 2.5.

When I enter text into my search box and hit return, or the button, it always pulls the results up in place of the article on the page. Some of my pages have modules with pictures or slideshows in them above the area where an article would be thus making the search results show up further down the page. Im wondering if once a person hits the search button if the module could open the results on a clean page without any of the other modules that are present all over my site.

Hopefully I have explained my issue properly. Would appreciate any help and can supply more info if needed. Thanks in advance.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Default Joomla 2.5 Search Module open in new page

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Make a menu item to the search component. Assign the modules not to show with this menu item.

jrun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jrun » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the quick response Per Yngve Berg. I did this however I only get the desired result if I am on the new /search page I created in menus. I made sure all the modules did not have this menu item selected. Perhaps you could take a look at the site to see what Im talking about: http://tintmastersmotorsports.com and of course http://tintmastersmotorsports.com/search is the new page I just created in menus. Probably missing something. Thanks for your response.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 am

You have to turn off SEO in Global Configuration and watch the Itemid=xx on the url.
The Itemid is the id of the menu item.

jrun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jrun » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:05 am

I don't see anywhere to turn off SEO. Do you mean SEF?

jrun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jrun » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 am

I turned off the SEF and saw the itemid. Now what do I do?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 am

It says Itemid=123. What menu item is this?

You can set the it with "set element id" in the module parameters.

whyknott
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whyknott » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I want search results to show up on my secondary page template instead of my home page template. I created the search menu item and assigned it to the Universal AJAX Live Search module I purchased and It won't load the search results on my secondary template because by default the Joomla search results are set to load on the default template assigned.

Here is my website link (try a search and you'll see what i mean:
http://www.thecaskeygroup.com/newsite/

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE HELP. I'm pulling my hair out regarding this :'(

Thanks!

clickitty
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by clickitty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi whyknott, I don't know if you found a solution to this yet but I was having the same problem. Whenever a search was made on the blog page of a category then the modules on that page also appeared on the search page. I tried everything and in the end I gave up on having no modules appear on those pages and used MetaMod to add more modules on these pages so that the "look" was right.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... RhbW9kIjt9

It might be possible to remove modules with MetaMod I'm not sure. By the time I'd found this extension I'd already given up on no modules appearing.

Hopefully this is some use anyway.

whyknott
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whyknott » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the metamod extension that would help me out especially since I use 2 templates, however, I did solve my problem I was having with the search results.

All I had to do was make my secondary page template the "default" template so that the search results displayed on the secondary page design. Yeah..makes sense now :)

I was only using my home page template 1 time (as the main home page for the website so the home page wouldn't be the "default" template for the rest of the pages!..my secondary template would be. So I changed that and it worked perfectly.

vashanka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vashanka » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Thought I'd spell this process out a bit since it's going to be common for many folks. This applies to Joomla 2.5.

Assumptions:
- your home page layout has a few modules either above or below the area where your page content typically displays
- you have a search module enabled on every page of your site (probably up in the top area of the design)
- the search works, but searches from your home page give results below your modules

Steps (here's the easy part)
1. make a new menu named search (Menus > Menu Manager > Add New Menu)
2. create a new menu item (Menus > Search > Add New Menu Item)
3. name the new menu item Search and select the type as Search: Search Form or Search Results
4. find the ID (bottom of the page) and copy it or make a note of the number
5. Save & Close
6. open your Search module and add the ID (Extensions > Module Manager > Name of your search module > Basic Options > Set ItemID)
7. Save it and try a test search from your home page and any other pages you wish. The search results should always drop to essentially an empty page, displaying any modules you have set to show on all pages.
8. Use the Module Manager to show/hide modules to that Search > Search menu item.

Any questions, reply to this thread.

freeclup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by freeclup » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 pm

hi you can use dealt address bar path like

Code: Select all

http://freeclup.com/index.php/fa/component/search/?searchword=vv&searchphrase=all&Itemid=505
i search hh you see

Code: Select all

?searchword=vv&
write php code to create this path and send it
Majid-Mit
my knowledge is know to not know
http://freeclup.com/index.php/en/

Ryuonato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ryuonato » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm

vashanka wrote:Thought I'd spell this process out a bit since it's going to be common for many folks. This applies to Joomla 2.5.

Assumptions:
- your home page layout has a few modules either above or below the area where your page content typically displays
- you have a search module enabled on every page of your site (probably up in the top area of the design)
- the search works, but searches from your home page give results below your modules

Steps (here's the easy part)
1. make a new menu named search (Menus > Menu Manager > Add New Menu)
2. create a new menu item (Menus > Search > Add New Menu Item)
3. name the new menu item Search and select the type as Search: Search Form or Search Results
4. find the ID (bottom of the page) and copy it or make a note of the number
5. Save & Close
6. open your Search module and add the ID (Extensions > Module Manager > Name of your search module > Basic Options > Set ItemID)
7. Save it and try a test search from your home page and any other pages you wish. The search results should always drop to essentially an empty page, displaying any modules you have set to show on all pages.
8. Use the Module Manager to show/hide modules to that Search > Search menu item.

Any questions, reply to this thread.
Thanks for the starter of this Vash, but I'm still having trouble with getting the module to search, now it's redirecting to a new search page, but it isn't showing any results in the page, you have to search using the text box on the search page in order to bring up results.

http://www.archaeologychannel.org <--- if you could take a look and give any advice that would be awesome.

P.S. Also is there a way to get this same result with the Smart Search Module that came with 2.5?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”